Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

11 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sox fans sure are a miserable bunch. 

Yep.  I get it.  The team sucks, JR is a penny-pinching ass, the Sox will always be Chicago's #2 team.  But, now there's a (very real) possibility of a new stadium, and we're bitching about it.

14 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I agree with you.  The new stadium would be a great thing for the White Sox franchise.

It would be the best thing to happen for the Sox and their fans since 2005.  Plus, once (hopefully) the green light is given to build, the value of the franchise goes up, significantly.  JR, who may not be around when the stadium opens, could very possibly sell the team between now and then.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Yep.  I get it.  The team sucks, JR is a penny-pinching ass, the Sox will always be Chicago's #2 team.  But, now there's a (very real) possibility of a new stadium, and we're bitching about it.

It would be the best thing to happen for the Sox and their fans since 2005.  Plus, once (hopefully) the green light is given to build, the value of the franchise goes up, significantly.  JR, who may not be around when the stadium opens, could very possibly sell the team between now and then.

I'm not bitching about the stadium, I think it's nice, and hope it's built. Just not on the taxpayer dime.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I'm not bitching about the stadium, I think it's nice, and hope it's built. Just not on the taxpayer dime.

I’m taking the approach of, the stadium we have is fine, the product sucks, the state is rather broke to fund a new stadium and subsidize the Bears in some way and taxpayers shouldn’t have to shoulder the burden of things as Illinoisans we don’t necessarily need.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Nobody hates the Sox like Sox fans.

Nobody hates Sox fans more than Jerry Reinsdorf.

Sox fans shouldn’t be objective about the allocation of public dollars because of their sports loyalties, or only make exceptions for favorite teams?

If it was such a slam dunk development brimming with off the charts potential, why wouldn’t he feel confident enough to risk, let’s say $500 million of his own money, like Ricketts did (and more)?

The only answer is that billionaires have been getting away with this since the 1980’s, so why should he hold himself to a higher standard when he’s not doing something illegal, merely taking advantage of the opportunities only the investment class has access to?

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

If this stadium gets built I wouldn't think JR and his family would sell  the team. The first few years of the stadium would be a goldmine for the owners. If anything they might sell the team a few years after the stadium is opened.

58 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It seems a lot of Sox fans feel the same way. Especially the ones that actually live in Chicago and Illinois and will have to face the tax implications of this for years to come. 

Hopefully some more concrete details emerge after this Springfield meeting. I mean so far it appears that Related and JR don't want to finance a single penny of this new ballpark? That is absolutely insane if true. 

• Thanks 1

If I were the governor of Illinois, I would tell the Baseball Commissioner that if MLB wants an American League team playing in Chicago, it will have to play in GRF. Otherwise, private money has to fund a new stadium.

A new stadium will not help the franchise. It will help JR or any other owner after him. A new stadium alone will not turn the White Sox into winners.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lightly Folded said:

If by some miracle they get the new ballpark I have the new name for the park. “South Side Hate Park” also known as “The Hate”. 

Oooh, also have a designated gate as "the Hate Gate" and it's just a bunch of statues of La Russa like hanging up "La Russa's lounge sign" over the original Loretta's lounge. And like, strewn with covers of Cigar Magazine interviews with Jerry.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Oooh, also have a designated gate as "the Hate Gate" and it's just a bunch of statues of La Russa like hanging up "La Russa's lounge sign" over the original Loretta's lounge. And like, strewn with covers of Cigar Magazine interviews with Jerry.

How about a “Tomb Lounge” where Jerry is entombed behind the bar featuring “hate burgers with mourning fries”. 

23 minutes ago, Lightly Folded said:

How about a “Tomb Lounge” where Jerry is entombed behind the bar featuring “hate burgers with mourning fries”. 

Or would he be entombed under the dance floor?

51 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Or would he be entombed under the dance floor?

I guess we’re all angry-morbid sox fans that hate everyone and everything associated with the  Sox which means we are all nuts. The new team mascot could be “Nut Case”. The between inning race thing they do with caricatures of the broadcasters could be changed to “Three Nut Cases”. 

17 minutes ago, Lightly Folded said:

I guess we’re all angry-morbid sox fans that hate everyone and everything associated with the  Sox which means we are all nuts. 

You just defined Soxdom in a nutshell

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

If this stadium gets built I wouldn't think JR and his family would sell  the team. The first few years of the stadium would be a goldmine for the owners. If anything they might sell the team a few years after the stadium is opened.

The team will be sold regardless if this stadium is built or not, JR has made it clear publicly on rare occasions when he speaks about this. He has told his family when he goes, "Sell the Sox, keep the Bulls."

IMO ,JR and perhaps the ISFA would have more credibility if the Sox ownership group (or possible ISFA) acquired the 78 parcel to get Related the he11 out of there. The Sox could then develop their own plans and avoid some of the developer greed shown in the density of buildings and the site plan. If the Sox owns the whole parcel, now you are talking about something that could make more sense.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Familiarity breeds contempt.

I think the hatred is genetic. I find Sox fans who totally hate the Sox (which is weird) have a generational link to Bridgeport, Canaryville, Back of Yards, or Front of Yards going back to when the stock yards were there. The toxic noxious devilish smells and fumes the permeated the area for decades has altered the genetic makeup of those who lived through it and their descendants to the point were it manifests this hate-hate relationship with the area. Even if your only 1/4 or 1/8 descendant to ancestral stock yardians you could be at risk. And if any of you ancestors ever drank from bubbly creek you probably a ringleader.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lightly Folded said:

I think the hatred is genetic. I find Sox fans who totally hate the Sox (which is weird) have a generational link to Bridgeport, Canaryville, Back of Yards, or Front of Yards going back to when the stock yards were there. The toxic noxious devilish smells and fumes the permeated the area for decades has altered the genetic makeup of those who lived through it and their descendants to the point were it manifests this hate-hate relationship with the area. Even if your only 1/4 or 1/8 descendant to ancestral stock yardians you could be at risk. And if any of you ancestors ever drank from bubbly creek you probably a ringleader.

That's interesting. Time to read more about the Chicago stockyards. Maybe we have a curse we can break or something.

• Like 1