Sox trade Cristian Mena to Arizona for OF Dominic Fletcher

Heads22

6 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

I think I like this trade now.  Getz basically wins the trade pretty easily and Arizona is totally okay with that.  They are fine gambling on a chance to REALLY win the trade down the line because harnessing some pitching will be way more valuable.  But it’s risky.  Getz gets the safe win, for now.  

We might have a real RFer for his whole prime cheap.  I’m okay with this.  It’s only been since Mags

This but with Jermaine Dye

Not sure how anyone can say with a straight face that the Sox have a surplus of pitching. Teams  with a surplus of pitching, if something like that even exists, either have top 5 farm systems or are perennial world series contenders. The Sox are neither of those things. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, LittleHurtCG said:

Not sure how anyone can say with a straight face that the Sox have a surplus of pitching. Teams  with a surplus of pitching, if something like that even exists, either have top 5 farm systems or are perennial world series contenders. The Sox are neither of those things. 

Or the Dodgers in 2025...

7 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

The Sox have a decent amount of pitching but it’s questionable to say it’s all quality.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The Sox have a decent amount of pitching but it’s questionable to say it’s all quality.

If it were, we probably wouldn’t be hearing that Getz is insistent on getting pitching in return for Cease. Quantity =|=  quality. 

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

If it were, we probably wouldn’t be hearing that Getz is insistent on getting pitching in return for Cease. Quantity =|=  quality. 

Exactly. Has anyone looked at who is filling out the roation after Cease? Half of the guys currently on the White Sox pitching staff are likely to be totally out of baseball or lingering as nothing but organizational depth in the minors within the next two-three years. 

Noah Schultz and maybe Nick Nastrini are the only guys who look like potentail difference makers down the road. The rest look like a bunch of Jonathan Stievers and Spencer Adams to me. 

• Fire 1

38 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

The White Sox today have exactly 1 quality starting MLB pitcher and they are trying to trade him. It makes zero sense to me to trade a potential future option for a low ceiling outfielder considering the state of the franchise.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

People in the Cease thread were saying we had enough pitching (it's not true) and that's why we should be targeting bats as first 1-2 or 3 pieces in a Cease deal. 

The Sox don't have enough of anything lol. They should be targeting dudes with high extremely high ceilings in any Cease trade. JR will never ever pony up for elite talent in free agency. The Sox are going to need to find their elite talent from within. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, T R U said:

The White Sox today have exactly 1 quality starting MLB pitcher and they are trying to trade him. It makes zero sense to me to trade a potential future option for a low ceiling outfielder considering the state of the franchise.

Unless you are confident the pitcher traded will never amount to anything. 

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

Unless you are confident the pitcher traded will never amount to anything. 

I would suggest skepticism over anyone claiming that this is knowable for certain. Daniel Hudson was a guaranteed injury risk, the White Sox gave him up because the pitching coach said so, he pitched well for a year and then got hurt...and since then has had a 10 year career and made over $40 million as a reliever. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleHurtCG said:

They don't have a surplus of pitching. They do have a surplus of pitchers similar to Cristian Mena though. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, T R U said:

Considering what Barfield and Getz used to do, if this trade bothers you, They should have as much info on both players possible. 

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

No can never have too much pitching.

That being said they had 2 outfielders in the organization.  After these trades they may have 4. 

This.  I don't think I would ever use the word "surplus", but they have acquired a lot of pitching with these recent deals who are all in about the same time arrival frame.  Picking the guy who you think you could most afford to lose to shore up a position which you have absolutely nothing in does make some sense if you are trying to push guys into this window.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They don't have a surplus of pitching. They do have a surplus of pitchers similar to Cristian Mena though. 

Naw, not really. They might have several of them, but that's far from a surplus.

• Paper Bag 1

This trade should all but guarantee Gavin Sheets never steps foot in the outfield again, and that's a good thing.  Fletcher, right now, is probably the starting right fielder.  Right field was a huge question mark for years, and it hasn't been addressed until now.

If Fletcher end up even close to the first iteration of Adam Eaton, this is a huge win for the Sox.  If he's a serviceable right fielder slightly above replacement level, it's still a win.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

This trade should all but guarantee Gavin Sheets never steps foot in the outfield again, and that's a good thing.  Fletcher, right now, is probably the starting right fielder.  Right field was a huge question mark for years, and it hasn't been addressed until now.

We said that exact phrase last year.

• Paper Bag 1

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

We said that exact phrase last year.

About who?  They had no one on the roster with any record of success playing right field.  Went into the season with the idea Colas and Sheets in right.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

About who?  They had no one on the roster with any record of success playing right field.  Went into the season with the idea Colas and Sheets in right.

Colas was supposed to be an excellent RF.

26 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Colas was supposed to be an excellent RF.

He has a big arm....needs to put in the work to be a good actual RF. I still believe in him (I can't just let go of  LH 50 hit/60 power/plus arm) and hopefully being in AAA for awhile and seeing lesser talents playing ahead of him in Chicago will merit a course correction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They do? Mena just turned 21 and has 130 innings at AA or above. I'm not seeing anyone else in the Sox minors with similar experience at that age. All of their other "similar" pitchers are two or three years older than Mena. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Heads22 unpinned this topic