ST Thread

pcq

Via Merkin

On Crochet bring a rotation candidate or even OD starter?

"That’s a different question, one Crochet wouldn’t commit to after throwing three scoreless innings on Thursday.

“I’m in a good place building up and we’ll kind of see when camp ends. The competition is still very much ongoing,” Crochet said. “I’m kind of trying to keep passing the test they are throwing my way and make it a tough decision for them in the end.”

“He's on his way to do whatever is needed,” Katz said. “He's in a good place and we don't need to add or do anything different to what we've been doing.”

Crochet has just 73 total innings in the Majors over three seasons as a reliever. So, the White Sox will need to be watchful with his usage and how he recovers from each start."

• Thanks 1

CF Michael A. Taylor signed with the Pirates for only $1 million more than Pillar.  Yikes.  This time, no one can say he wouldn’t have signed with the White Sox because he only wanted to play for a contender.  Only a difference of 2 WAR between the two righty outfielders last season!  New GM just as bad as the old GM at free agency.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • TLR 1

32 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

CF Michael A. Taylor signed with the Pirates for only $1 million more than Pillar.  Yikes.  This time, no one can say he wouldn’t have signed with the White Sox because he only wanted to play for a contender.  Only a difference of 2 WAR between the two righty outfielders last season!  New GM just as bad as the old GM at free agency.

In that division who is to say Pittsburgh won't contend? They've got some good young talent. 

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

In that division who is to say Pittsburgh won't contend? They've got some good young talent. 

They had about the same offseason as the Sox in terms of new money spent and fWAR acquired. I expect they will finish in last unless Milwaukee or the garbage Cardinals drop below them.

Doesn't included potential NRI conversions, does include money sent on trades.

Projected FGDC fWAR Red Indicates Negative Projected FGDC fWAR

Pirates MLB Offseason Additions $33.5M for 6.5 fWAR

1. 1.6  SP Martin Perez $8.0M
  2. 1.0   Yasmani Grandal $2.5M
  3. 0.9  SP Marco Gonzalez $3.0M
  4. 0.8 CF Michael A. Taylor $4.0M
  5. 0.8 OF Edward Olivares $1.4M
  6. 0.8 RP Aroldis Chapman $10.5M
  7. 0.6 1B Rowdy Tallez $3.2M
  8. 0.0 RP Josh Fleming $0.9M

White Sox MLB Offseason Additions $32.2M for 6.1 fWAR

1. 1.4  SP Michael Soroka $3.0M
  2. 1.1  SP Erick Fedde $7.5M
  3. 1.1  SP Chris Flexen $1.8M
  4. 0.9   C Max Stassi $0.8M
  5. 0.7  SS Paul DeJong $1.8M
  6. 0.7  2B Nicky Lopez $4.3M
  7. 0.4  RF Dominic Fletcher $0.8M
  8. 0.4  RP John Brebbia $4.0M
  9. 0.2  RP Steve Wilson $0.8M
  10. 0.0  RP Prelander Berroa $0.8M
  11. None RP Shane Drohan $0.8M
  12. -0.2 RP Tim Hill $1.8M
  13. -0.6  Martin Maldonado $4.0M
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

You can tell me any team from that division won the division and I wouldn’t be shocked. Wide open.

On paper, the Cubs should win it easily. Should have won it on run differential alone last year. That is why they broke the bank for Counsell.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2024/03/16/walk-this-way-white-sox-need-free-passes-to-fuel-offense

And this is the news on Lambert;

Right-hander Jimmy Lambert will not need surgery on his shoulder, it was determined after a visit to Dr. Neal Alattrache Thursday.

“There’s something there, but we have a plan going forward for the next month,” Lambert said.

12 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

So who's going to pitch in the rotation? You just removed Cease, Kopech and now Shuster, do we have 5  healthy arms? Do we have 4? 

Maybe we are going for 120 losses!

Fedde, Soroka, & Flexin are locks.  The other two spots probably go to some combo with Crochet (with a piggyback), Nastrini, and a free agent.

• Paper Bag 2

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Fedde, Soroka, & Flexin are locks.  The other two spots probably go to some combo with Crochet (with a piggyback), Nastrini, and a free agent.

Keller will probably find his way in the rotation at some point. Even though the thought of that makes me want to barf.

Edited by ScootsMcGoots
  • Paper Bag 2

41 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

So who's going to pitch in the rotation? You just removed Cease, Kopech and now Shuster, do we have 5  healthy arms? Do we have 4? 

Fedde, Soroka then pray for sunstroke-uh. 

Then Flexen. I'd guess Kuhl and Touki might get a couple turns until they earn an extra year of control on Thorpe and Nastrini. Crochet can get major leaguers out, so why not give him 3-4 innings every time through?

I don't mind starting Thorpe's or Nastrini's time clock a year before Monty, Ramos and others. There's something to be said for staggering their free agencies. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

Keller will probably find his way in the rotation at some point. Even though the thought of that makes me want to barf.

Oh gawd I had forgotten about him. This team is going to be absolutely unwatchable.

• Paper Bag 3

57 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Shuster cut himself with how he looked yesterday. He has a lot of work to do to be a 5th starter let alone more. I am not obsessed with getting an extra year on Nastrini cuz he’s not that young.  Healthy arms you could easily do Soroka, Fedde, Flexen, Crochet, and either Nastrini or Thorpe and that wouldn’t be embarrassing.  Kuhl or Keller… that’s embarrassing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Oh gawd I had forgotten about him. This team is going to be absolutely unwatchable.

Notable cool-head, never starts drama, wonderful for the clubhouse Brad Keller 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Shuster cut himself with how he looked yesterday. He has a lot of work to do to be a 5th starter let alone more. I am not obsessed with getting an extra year on Nastrini cuz he’s not that young.  Healthy arms you could easily do Soroka, Fedde, Flexen, Crochet, and either Nastrini or Thorpe and that wouldn’t be embarrassing.  Kuhl or Keller… that’s embarrassing.

It's not just the Sox. I think the Marlins have 4 starters injured right now. We're doing pretty good still having Soroka, Fedde and Flexen still standing. 

33 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

The names you mentioned are all unknowns. Is this the Sox future? All cheap guys nobody's ever heard of? Ah for the days of Konerko, Thomas, Ventura, Ozzie, Dye, actual players. Who in the heck is going to watch this on TV or stream much less go in person? If it's true the Cubs are going to win the division that must mean they are at least trying a bit. Greg needs to read up on the Cubs a bit as they are at least from the city of Chicago like the Sox.

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

The names you mentioned are all unknowns. Is this the Sox future? All cheap guys nobody's ever heard of? Ah for the days of Konerko, Thomas, Ventura, Ozzie, Dye, actual players. Who in the heck is going to watch this on TV or stream much less go in person? If it's true the Cubs are going to win the division that must mean they are at least trying a bit. Greg needs to read up on the Cubs a bit as they are at least from the city of Chicago like the Sox.

It's the future for the next 3 months. Thorpe and Nastrini will be in the rotation by year's end. 

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

Fedde, Soroka then pray for sunstroke-uh. 

Then Flexen. I'd guess Kuhl and Touki might get a couple turns until they earn an extra year of control on Thorpe and Nastrini. Crochet can get major leaguers out, so why not give him 3-4 innings every time through?

I don't mind starting Thorpe's or Nastrini's time clock a year before Monty, Ramos and others. There's something to be said for staggering their free agencies. 

I’d personally wait until mid/late April with Nastrini & Thorpe even if they were ready.