Sox Sign Mike Moustakas

Heads22

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

What’s worse?  Giving Nicky Lopez $4.3 million or Merrifield $8 million?

In the immortal words of John Fox in his bears era, “it’s all bad”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Attach Colas in a Cease deal if you might get 2 OFs back from a team for him and they’re worried about OF depth. f*** it.

Colas has negligible value right now...although probably more so to other teams who think they can still work with him.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Colas has negligible value right now...although probably more so to other teams who think they can still work with him.

Yeah right now anyone else in MLB thinks there’s probably a 50% or better chance Colas is on waivers before the deadline. Only so many 40 man roster spots available for all those Royal NRIs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Again, Colas is nowhere near “sink or swim”. Sox could park him in AAA for all of 24-25 and wouldn’t need to make an actual decision on him until opening day 2026. 

Well, that makes 2 of us saying Colas doesn't need to be rushed immediately. 

4 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

What value does a backup third baseman bring to a roster.
Using  a roster spot for Pedro's chemistry.

Ultimately, it probably means nothing in the grand scheme of things but Moustakas can backup 3B and 1B and it ideally means Sheets is not on the opening day roster so Grifail won’t have the opportunity to play him in the outfield.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Ultimately, it probably means nothing in the grand scheme of things but Moustakas can backup 3B and 1B and it ideally means Sheets is not on the opening day roster so Grifail won’t have the opportunity to play him in the outfield.

No Sheets is great and all, until Pedro does with Moustakas what TLR did with Leury...

I can see people anticipating concerns Jerry, Getz and Pedro will sacrifice development to “win now” as they have the past three years under the ongoing Tony/Pedro Combo Meal. The Sox are 235-251 going “all in” since firing Ricky Renteria.

Sosa is the one player out of the current prospects I’d start 4-5 games a week between 2B, 3B and SS. Would much rather have Sosa on the roster to see what he can do than having Moustakas.

Would also prefer the Sox have Eloy work at 1B this Spring to see if he can handle 10-20 games a year to cover Vaughn, than carry Sheets, Moustakas or some other DH type in one of the four precious reserve spots to back up 1B. It’s in Eloy’s interest as well to try to pick up 1B to be more valuable than a DH only player.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Moustakas has never played any position other than 3B, 1B, and 2B.  I have faith that Pedro won’t play him in the outfield like he has with Sheets.

I think he’s the “insurance” or plan once Eloy inevitably pays his usual IL visit at some point over the course of the season.

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I have no idea what you are saying here but have a nice emoji for having said it. I think it's sarcasm about something .

In his press conference announcing the Getz promotion, JR said that the Sox could win in 2024 with a few tweaks to the roster, and they didn’t need to waste a year or more rebuilding.  Meanwhile, every acquisition this offseason has been for a guy fished out of the dumpster.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

In his press conference announcing the Getz promotion, JR said that the Sox could win in 2024 with a few tweaks to the roster, and they didn’t need to waste a year or more rebuilding.  Meanwhile, every acquisition this offseason has been for a guy fished out of the dumpster.

I mean, they just need 3 starting pitchers, 4 bullpen arms, bounce-back and/or breakout performances out of LF, 3B, DH, and upgrades to C, 2B, SS, and RF, and they're right there in the thick of things.

• Fire 1

On 2/18/2024 at 12:34 AM, WhiteSox2023 said:

Moustakas has never played any position other than 3B, 1B, and 2B.  I have faith that Pedro won’t play him in the outfield like he has with Sheets.

I meant more play him way way too much.

31 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I mean, they just need 3 starting pitchers, 4 bullpen arms, bounce-back and/or breakout performances out of LF, 3B, DH, and upgrades to C, 2B, SS, and RF, and they're right there in the thick of things.

Sounds like you're telling me there's a chance!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

JR says and does whatever wants. He has no intention or interest in making Getz job easy. Hired because he failed upwards and rookie  GM happy to just get the opportunity . Wondering if JR is ever told you know most teams have staff 3 times as large as ours, you could invest in scouting and developing like TB . We could win the division a lot with young players who we then trade when they peak , get better prospects back since we sell high, keep the high level young talent coming in , really invest in making them the best they can be with staff and equipment. In the end it costs less, JR ,Staff costs a lot less than  players but payroll stays  low because our players are so young. It's not easy,  always need the best talent evaluators and commit to it .

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

JR says and does whatever wants. He has no intention or interest in making Getz job easy. Hired because he failed upwards and rookie  GM happy to just get the opportunity . Wondering if JR is ever told you know most teams have staff 3 times as large as ours, you could invest in scouting and developing like TB . We could win the division a lot with young players who we then trade when they peak , get better prospects back since we sell high, keep the high level young talent coming in , really invest in making them the best they can be with staff and equipment. In the end it costs less, JR ,Staff costs a lot less than  players but payroll stays  low because our players are so young. It's not easy,  always need the best talent evaluators and commit to it .

JR has publicly said in the past he doesn't believe in paying for potential that's one of the reasons he fought so hard for a cap on draftees and salary slots.

I know you way makes the most sense but remember JR always thinks he's the smartest guy in the room and his way is right.

11 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

JR has publicly said in the past he doesn't believe in paying for potential that's one of the reasons he fought so hard for a cap on draftees and salary slots.

I know you way makes the most sense but remember JR always thinks he's the smartest guy in the room and his way is right.

Veteran GM's don't want to work for him. He doesn't give them anything .  He's king of his domain and he and his investors all did well and he intends to keep it that way until he can't.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Fire 1

I think Sheets might have some trade value, perhaps as a throw in to a possible Baltimore trade, if that is at all possible at some point....since his father played for the O's.  He is faster than I thought in RF and has a decent arm. He can also platoon at 1B and DH or pinch hit late in games when the only hope left lies with a HR to tie or win. Moose has a shot in ST though. It will be fun to watch all of the competition for getting on the roster.

• Haha 1