Sox trade Matthew Thompson to Cubs for old friend Bailey Horn

Sleepy Harold

I'm fine with this because Thompson hasn't figured it out and is buried on the depth chart (I wonder who was in charge of developing him 🤔), but man, the Tepera trade seems so worthless in retrospect.

Also, Getz feels like he's in MLB: The Show mode.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We have an average production RF for the next 4 to 6 years?  That’s quite the bold take for a kid with like 100 major league plate appearances.

Maybe Chris Getz should trade Fletcher this week. He'd immediately turn into a perennial All-Star, here. 

Fletcher has hit at every level, including a 100 PA cup of coffee. I'm not sure how hitting in a short stint means he will never hit at the major league level. It's like you want a 3 year track record of production in the bigs, with 6 years of control, still. 

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

I'm fine with this because Thompson hasn't figured it out and is buried on the depth chart (I wonder who was in charge of developing him 🤔),

The guy who took Christian Mena, and turned him into Pedro Martinez, that's who. 

6 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Maybe Chris Getz should trade Fletcher this week. He'd immediately turn into a perennial All-Star, here. 

Fletcher has hit at every level, including a 100 PA cup of coffee. I'm not sure how hitting in a short stint means he will never hit at the major league level. It's like you want a 3 year track record of production in the bigs, with 6 years of control, still. 

You keep making these “everyone is an All-Star once traded” comments but no one has said anything of the such.  Liking Mena as a prospect does not mean that he will be a star or even a productive major leaguer.  There is a wide range of outcomes with prospects and some of us felt there was some untapped potential with Mena given his youth & athleticism.  And people here liking Mena more than Fletcher (especially given the state of the team) doesn’t mean we hate Dominic.  I just worry that Fletcher will end up being a 4th OF and that doesn’t really move the needle for a rebuilding club.  I am no expert here and hope I am wrong, which is obviously very much possible.

Regarding Fletcher specifically, he has hit at every level, but his production in Reno wasn’t great when you compare it to how other DBacks OFs performed there and they did so at younger ages and/or during their first stops there.  As for his major league performance, the batted ball data suggests he got super lucky and he was trending the wrong way when he got demoted.  Pointing that out doesn’t mean I think he will suck, but he’s still got to prove himself over a longer period of time to say he will become an average production RF for the foreseeable future.

Finally, regarding this trade, I don’t think you will find a single poster who thinks Thompson is a quality prospect and will lose sleep over this trade despite your allegations.  It’s just unusual for a rebuilding team to trade a young, athletic pitcher that doesn’t require 40 man roster protection for a 26 year old reliever.  That doesn’t mean it will be a bad trade as the likelihood of Thompson turning into something useful is low and Horn has some upside that the org must be optimistic they can tap into.  Just weird that we’re proactively making trades that are aging our talent base when it seems we are a few years from competing.

• Thanks 4

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

Not that I think Thompson will amount to much (I am much higher on Mena) Getz trading younger prospects for 26 year old AAAA players is getting annoying. 

Fathom talked about how Robert succeeding in this system means he must have been the greatest natural baseball player of all time, i've talked about how we run our prospects like mr. glass in unbreakable (a widely watched film we all know and love), just blowing up class after calss of them trying to find the super human that can succeed...

Our pitching was so garbage last year top down. Mena succeeded getting guys out should have been a sign he was super human. He's basically Nolan Ryan now in a real org. Thompson is not close to Mena, but he is athletic and actually pitched and didn't just get injured all year. Not great, but a starter in AA.

He's probably not a hall of famer but at this point my assumption is solid 10x all star.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Not that I think Thompson will amount to much (I am much higher on Mena) Getz trading younger prospects for 26 year old AAAA players is getting annoying. 

Yes, trading young and bad for old and bad doesn’t seem like the best strategy in baseball GM’ing.

Just like how you should always be quick to drop a 29 year old pitcher with a 5+ ERA off of your 40-man roster to claim a 24 year old lefty outfield prospect.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm really hoping they are just moving guys Bannister really really doesn't like and has advised the FO that he can't fix because between this and Mena, they are playing a very dangerous game, especially for a team that purportedly values cost controlled young pitching above all else. 

And why would we trade for a reliever (that we used to have) when we aren't going to be competing for awhile?

You couldn't get anything else for him?

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Rick Hahn made a lot of bad trades, and some good trades. I don't think that Fletcher/Mena was a great trade, I think it was an even trade. Not like what we did to the Mariners. I would have rather not given up on Mena, but oh well. We now have an average production RF for the next 4-6 seasons. Where we had no OF prospect depth, we now do.

The only free agent signing I did not like was Maldonado. I think Stassi/ Lee, Perez or Hack would have been fine. Moustakas is a bit of a head-scratcher, but he might push Sheets off the team, which is a net good. Getz has put together good, veteran bullpen depth without the dumb 4-year contracts. We also have a good 6-7 reasonable rotation options at AAA, where in years past, we really had, like, a half of one. Grabbing guys off the waiver wire and starting them the next day. 

We have 6-7 reasonable rotation options in AAA? We don't even have 5 reasonable rotation options on the MLB roster, much less in AAA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I see this all the time here, people citing age. The ONLY reason Matt Thompson isn't worth a bag of baseball's is because of his age. If you think he never figures it out, this is when you move him. Bailey Horn at least is closer to the big leagues and a lefty reliever so more likely to get some actual MLB years out of him.

No issues with the logic behind this trade. Are the White Sox right about their internal evaluations? Well, that's the scary part for everyone but the only people who value Thompson are uber-Sox fans.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Get rid of the players you don't think will be part of the future for players you think have a chance to be part of the future.  Don't stop now, Boys!

A 26 year old who has never made the big leagues, who requires a 40 man spot on a team without many available 40 man spots, who has a minor league walk rate of 5 BB/9IP, and a minor league ERA of 4.2 is a guy who has a chance to be part of the future? I guess in terms of "he's been designated for assignment" is an activity that would have to happen in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sure, but it highlights just how far we have to go.  There may not be a single player on the roster right now who is part of our next playoff team.  And the vast majority of veterans Getz has added this offseason are unlikely to bear much fruit at the trade deadline.  To me, it’s fairly unusual roster for a team kicking off a rebuild.

I agree that is has been a bizarre approach.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You keep making these “everyone is an All-Star once traded” comments but no one has said anything of the such.  Liking Mena as a prospect does not mean that he will be a star or even a productive major leaguer.  There is a wide range of outcomes with prospects and some of us felt there was some untapped potential with Mena given his youth & athleticism.  And people here liking Mena more than Fletcher (especially given the state of the team) doesn’t mean we hate Dominic.  I just worry that Fletcher will end up being a 4th OF and that doesn’t really move the needle for a rebuilding club.  I am no expert here and hope I am wrong, which is obviously very much possible.

Regarding Fletcher specifically, he has hit at every level, but his production in Reno wasn’t great when you compare it to how other DBacks OFs performed there and they did so at younger ages and/or during their first stops there.  As for his major league performance, the batted ball data suggests he got super lucky and he was trending the wrong way when he got demoted.  Pointing that out doesn’t mean I think he will suck, but he’s still got to prove himself over a longer period of time to say he will become an average production RF for the foreseeable future.

Finally, regarding this trade, I don’t think you will find a single poster who thinks Thompson is a quality prospect and will lose sleep over this trade despite your allegations.  It’s just unusual for a rebuilding team to trade a young, athletic pitcher that doesn’t require 40 man roster protection for a 26 year old reliever.  That doesn’t mean it will be a bad trade as the likelihood of Thompson turning into something useful is low and Horn has some upside that the org must be optimistic they can tap into.  Just weird that we’re proactively making trades that are aging our talent base when it seems we are a few years from competing.

I agree with you both on Mena and Fletcher. Mena is untapped potential, and I'm sad to see him go. And I think that by year 6, Fletcher, if still in Chicago, should be a 4th OF. 

Of course, I'm joking around, now. But it's the course of internet arguments that everybody has to dig in, and an interesting arm becomes the prospect of myth. I would have liked to have 2 Sox-developed starters knocking at the door in Nastrini and Mena. Like many others, I'm going to wait before I rail on and on to see how Getz's plan works out. They could run through all their pitching depth by Memorial Day. Or they could seriously have about 5-7 arms that teams are calling up about, then plug in 5-7 more on Aug 1. 

Getz has to do something. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I'm really hoping they are just moving guys Bannister really really doesn't like and has advised the FO that he can't fix because between this and Mena, they are playing a very dangerous game, especially for a team that purportedly values cost controlled young pitching above all else. 

And why would we trade for a reliever (that we used to have) when we aren't going to be competing for awhile?

You couldn't get anything else for him?

That's what I'm guessing. Bannister cut bait on a low ceiling, onerous fix in Thompson. 

You still need relievers when you're losing 90 games. 

7 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

That's what I'm guessing. Bannister cut bait on a low ceiling, onerous fix in Thompson. 

You still need relievers when you're losing 90 games. 

Are there no other potential relievers on the current White Sox 40 man roster? I see quite a few, and there's numerous other minor leaguers in camp who could be brought up with a roster spot if one was available. 

• Like 2