Sox speaking about bringing back Clevinger

Now that the Chicago White Sox traded Dylan Cease and Michael Kopech is being moved to the bullpen, they are internally discussing the possibility of bringing back free-agent starter Mike Clevinger. Clevinger was their most consistent starter last year: 9-9 with a 3.77 ERA.

Views
  • Love 1
  • TLR 1
  • Paper Bag 2

I’m done if Getz brings him back until there is new ownership and front office.

Clevinger’s s%*# wasn’t public when Hahn signed him. It is now.

He is a pariah across MLB, same as Bauer, Franco, Puig and Urias; and rightfully so.

It was good when the Sox flushed him and Daryl Boston. No need to go down that path ever again.

• TLR 1
  • Paper Bag 1

18 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

He’s not a flip candidate. No one wants him. 

If he’s cheap enough, teams will do silly things for cheap pitching at the deadline. Sub $5M, I’d have no issue brining Clev back. 

• Love 1

NO NO NO.

If the club REALLY cares about character like they've been saying all off-season...if not, go Bauer, Clevinger, Lorenzen etc. and throw JD Martinez in there as well and make a last-ditch attempt to remain sort of competitive for the sake of the handful of fans still looking for meaningful Sox baseball this season. (Which would undoubtedly backfire spectacularly.)

Of course, the second issue is this re-orientation around speed and defense and athleticism holds less water with Cease traded...although it's pretty clear other than Moncada/JImenez that they'll chart a course of attempting to dump/rebrand every possible pitcher than can for a slew of B and C Tier prospects.

Thus, making those pitchers look as good as possible statistically is still the first priority of 2024.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If he’s cheap enough, teams will do silly things for cheap pitching at the deadline. Sub $5M, I’d have no issue brining Clev back. 

Exactly. They might not want him now. Just wait until some contender is under-performing in July and has two long term injuries to their rotation.

42 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Exactly. They might not want him now. Just wait until some contender is under-performing in July and has two long term injuries to their rotation.

I think it’s interesting how a team with a very low payroll could put together an entire rotation of 1-year deals for a very cheap total amount of dollars right now, if they didn’t care about fan backlash for two of the guys.  Sure, this rotation would need some starters ready in the minors due to the inevitable injuries that would arise but this would be a very cheap one year rotation.  It definitely doesn’t have any future promise but it could arguably perform better than the Sox opening day rotation.  Under $30 million total for one year?

Trevor Bauer

Mike Clevinger

Zack Greinke

Jake Odorizzi

Michael Lorenzen

Syndergaard doesn’t make it because he’s likely toast.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Fire 1

29 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I think it’s interesting how a team with a very low payroll could put together an entire rotation of 1-year deals for a very cheap total amount of dollars right now, if they didn’t care about fan backlash for two of the guys.  Sure, this rotation would need some starters ready in the minors due to the inevitable injuries that would arise but this would be a very cheap one year rotation.  It definitely doesn’t have any future promise but it could arguably perform better than the Sox opening day rotation.  Under $30 million total for one year?

Trevor Bauer

Mike Clevinger

Zack Greinke

Jake Odorizzi

Michael Lorenzen

Syndergaard doesn’t make it because he’s likely toast.

I'd be curious to know how much of this is player driven, if at all (can't stand the cancer team mates) and how much is FO collusion. Collusion makes zero sense, so I think it's player driven. Nobody wants these douchebags around for 162 days of their work life this year.

17 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'd be curious to know how much of this is player driven, if at all (can't stand the cancer team mates) and how much is FO collusion. Collusion makes zero sense, so I think it's player driven. Nobody wants these douchebags around for 162 days of their work life this year.

I do believe some of these guys are probably total dbag teammates, rub other players the wrong way, are not well-liked as a result, and that could definitely include both Bauer and Clevinger, but I doubt other players care all that much about the allegations made against them by women.  I’m not saying Bauer or Clevinger are innocent of any wrongdoing, but just think how many MLB players have women throwing themselves at them just for the notoriety, trying to entrap them with a kid for a very high amount of child support, etc.  The majority of pro sports players deal with this all the time so I doubt they give it a second thought.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Hawk 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

NO NO NO.

If the club REALLY cares about character like they've been saying all off-season...if not, go Bauer, Clevinger, Lorenzen etc. and throw JD Martinez in there as well and make a last-ditch attempt to remain sort of competitive for the sake of the handful of fans still looking for meaningful Sox baseball this season. (Which would undoubtedly backfire spectacularly.)

Of course, the second issue is this re-orientation around speed and defense and athleticism holds less water with Cease traded...although it's pretty clear other than Moncada/JImenez that they'll chart a course of attempting to dump/rebrand every possible pitcher than can for a slew of B and C Tier prospects.

Thus, making those pitchers look as good as possible statistically is still the first priority of 2024.

Clevinger does not bring clubhouse drama  Only soxtalk drama.

Edited by Green Line

Don't think Greinke would have any interest in ending his career with the White Sox on a non-contender after all the drama over the years and some of the comments he has made (unless he was REALLY close with any/some of other ex-Royals staffers).

Likely would prefer to retire as a Royal, IMO.

Edited by caulfield12

33 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Don't think Greinke would have any interest in ending his career with the White Sox on a non-contender after all the drama over the years and some of the comments he has made (unless he was REALLY close with any/some of other ex-Royals staffers).

Likely would prefer to retire as a Royal, IMO.

Greinke does not like Chicago.