Is DeJong key to season

greg775

Folks ... instead of just saying we'll win between 40 and 50 games I have a question that could be answered optimistically or pessimistically.

Is DeJong the key to our beloved White Sox season? Do any of you think the former Illinois State player will hit and field better than expected? Could he be the key to a turnaround? Is Paul DeJong destined to make fans as happy as if they sampled a bong? I saw he hit three early dingers in spring training.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Folks ... instead of just saying we'll win between 40 and 50 games I have a question that could be answered optimistically or pessimistically.

Is DeJong the key to our beloved White Sox season? Do any of you think the former Illinois State player will hit and field better than expected? Could he be the key to a turnaround? Is Paul DeJong destined to make fans as happy as if they sampled a bong? I saw he hit three early dingers in spring training.

Brooks Boyer, hire this man.

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’m not sure what’s funnier, the original post or the replies.  I’m still laughing.

Greg has to be a top secret undercover troll, right?

The bong line might be the funniest fucking thing I've read about the Sox since Getz took the reins

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

The bong line might be the funniest fucking thing I've read about the Sox since Getz took the reins

I picture Greg sitting back in his Lazy boy recliner getting his jollies off at our replies.  😭

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, hi8is said:

If I “sampled a bong” no one would be happy… so there.

“Paul DeJong sampled a Bong” sounds like the start of a Humpty Dumpty style poem

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

As DeJong goes, goes the Sox?  I guess he is going to suck and so are the Sox so this definitely isn't the worst thread greg has made.

Too bad the Sox are going to suck ass with or without him.

• Like 1

Didn't mean to offend, just thought I'd start a thread that was moderately positive, wondering if this guy actually had a great year the Sox might be a tad bit better than I expect them to be which is 40-50 wins. I went with DeJong cause I don't think our catchers will surprise and the new RF candidates appear to reek. There has to be something positive about this wretched club. I wondered if it might be DeJong.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Didn't mean to offend, just thought I'd start a thread that was moderately positive, wondering if this guy actually had a great year the Sox might be a tad bit better than I expect them to be which is 40-50 wins. I went with DeJong cause I don't think our catchers will surprise and the new RF candidates appear to reek. There has to be something positive about this wretched club. I wondered if it might be DeJong.

I think that .230/.300/.425 is his absolute ceiling. Good defense could have him at about 1 bWAR by the trading deadline. That's his absolute ceiling. Dude would have to rake like a snake to change any trajectory. But I think if he could realize his first half of his 2023, he could buoy the infield, and not totally sink our offense. I mean, the propellor heads fall in love with the .180/.320/450 guys like they are the key to life if they could hit 30 HRs. They're not. 

However, if Dominic Fletcher turns into a hitting, fielding kid, Andrew Vaughn finds his prospect, Yoan and Eloy stay well, Nicky Two-Eighty stays there, Fedde and Flexen get through 6, the bullpen maintains, Soroka finds his prior self, you might just have a team....... that gets traded off at the deadline. 

Which would be great!

DeJong is not the key to the season, he's one of the keys to the season. If DeJong and everybody else stays healthy this team will win alot of games. I realize I'm one of the few who feel this way but that's how I feel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, Dejong is NOT going to embarrass the White Sox  and us fans by  . . . .

Repeatedly get suspended by the league

Act like a bad ass then get knocked on his butt in a fight

Slap a teammate

be disliked by his teammates to the point that no one cheers when it's announced he make the all-star team

make us watch and wait as an opponent checks and overturns a double play because he missed stepping on 2nd base . .  again

have countless errors

repeatedly get picked off base

Dejong is not going to be Tim - building my brand means more than wins - Anderson. For that reason alone, I expect the Sox to be better, maybe only slightly better, but better. But they will be significantly easier to watch.

• Like 3