Sox now 1-7, on pace for 20-142 record

Is there a better example for how stupid the anti-tanking attempts are than the 2024 chicago white sox? Sure, you could say they shouldn't have traded Cease and Bummer et al and have an even further, more painful recovery from this. But the White Sox gave a bunch of veterans jobs and are playing them over marginal prospects. It has made...zero fucking difference.

There are so many painful parts of living under a Reinsdorf fandom, but it is extremely bad that he is so willing to accept CBA rules that severely hinder his team, and his team the most. He'll side with the smaller owners to limit spending on the bigger teams and undercut labor...and also side with them to restrict the team building opportunities on big market teams that could also undercut labor.

Being forced to watch 110+ games but not being allowed to be in the running for Holliday because we could, in theory but not reality, have spent money on good players the last 5 years instead of $100 million in bullpen arms is just so brutal.

It did nothing to improve the quality of the league but is going to make it likely we are bad for 30 years.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

28 minutes ago, bmags said:

Is there a better example for how stupid the anti-tanking attempts are than the 2024 chicago white sox? Sure, you could say they shouldn't have traded Cease and Bummer et al and have an even further, more painful recovery from this. But the White Sox gave a bunch of veterans jobs and are playing them over marginal prospects. It has made...zero fucking difference.

There are so many painful parts of living under a Reinsdorf fandom, but it is extremely bad that he is so willing to accept CBA rules that severely hinder his team, and his team the most. He'll side with the smaller owners to limit spending on the bigger teams and undercut labor...and also side with them to restrict the team building opportunities on big market teams that could also undercut labor.

Being forced to watch 110+ games but not being allowed to be in the running for Holliday because we could, in theory but not reality, have spent money on good players the last 5 years instead of $100 million in bullpen arms is just so brutal.

It did nothing to improve the quality of the league but is going to make it likely we are bad for 30 years.

Not even sure the franchise can survive five more years of this…it will seem enduringly dismal.  Relentlessly so.

And Luis Robert, Jr., is close to the point of having a permanent cloud hanging over his career.

The only potential stars/difference-makers left to protect are Crochet, Montgomery (if he matures into 25 homer power and sticks on the LH side of the diamond) and Schultz.

32 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Not even sure the franchise can survive five more years of this…it will seem enduringly dismal.  Relentlessly so.

And Luis Robert, Jr., is close to the point of having a permanent cloud hanging over his career.

The only potential stars/difference-makers left to protect are Crochet, Montgomery (if he matures into 25 homer power and sticks on the LH side of the diamond) and Schultz.

Despite the best org chart in the world, we should be a bit skeptical that Chris Getz looked at the state of the organization, had Dylan Cease, and said to his scouts "we need to prioritize acquiring pitching prospects first and foremost".

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Here is a factoid for you:

As of all games completed on 4/7 the WS have scored a league last 16 runs. 29 teams have scored 20 or more. 27 teams have scored 30 or more. 

Follow-up factoid related to the White Sox team having scored 16 runs as a team...

Mookie Betts has also scored 16 runs thus far this season.

• Haha 3

I live 45mins from the Braves stadium.  One of the best run organizations in baseball is essentially right on my doorstep.  Meanwhile, I'm a fan of one of the most incompetent and ineptly run organizations in professional sports.

These last couple of years are really putting my Sox dedication to the test.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I know you said “potential”, but people are way too high on Crochet. It’s been three games. Same as Robert, he won’t be a factor for this team by the time they’re in contention again. We don’t need to protect him. We need to trade him as soon as he has value if the right trade comes along.

Edited by Milkman delivers
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

I know you said “potential”, but people are way too high on Crochet. It’s been three games. Same as Robert, he won’t be a factor for this team by the time they’re in contention again. We don’t need to protect him. We need to trade him as soon as he has value if the right trade comes along.

Bingo, after this season he is in the same boat that Cease was in. Two years of control left and then he walks, especially if the three games we have seen so far is what he is capable of doing anytime he goes out.

4 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Follow-up factoid related to the White Sox team having scored 16 runs as a team...

Mookie Betts has also scored 16 runs thus far this season.

To me this just means that Mookie Betts would also be 1-8 on the season if he was playing the Sox schedule. Not impressed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Snopek said:

To me this just means that Mookie Betts would also be 1-8 on the season if he was playing the Sox schedule. Not impressed.

Logic checks out.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Update: White Sox 16, Mookie Betts 17.

For something like this to happen, it should be an automatic firing for a GM and manager.  It should be in the MLB rule book, lol.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

11 hours ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

IThese last couple of years are really putting my Sox dedication to the test.

Mmmmmbeer ... you should give in and follow the Braves. I am a diehard Sox fan for many many years. I finally gave up. I'm trying to follow the Cubs and Royals a bit. I did not purchase MLB.com finally. I just knew looking at our roster this was an INSULT to me personally as a fan. So I'll be like most fans in the USA, fair weather. If Sox get good again I'll be back; not til then. I'll only check the boxes and the free mlb.com summaries while trying to learn about the Cubs/Royals. It's time to throw in the towel mmmmmbeer and root for those Braves more.

12 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Mmmmmbeer ... you should give in and follow the Braves. I am a diehard Sox fan for many many years. I finally gave up. I'm trying to follow the Cubs and Royals a bit. I did not purchase MLB.com finally. I just knew looking at our roster this was an INSULT to me personally as a fan. So I'll be like most fans in the USA, fair weather. If Sox get good again I'll be back; not til then. I'll only check the boxes and the free mlb.com summaries while trying to learn about the Cubs/Royals. It's time to throw in the towel mmmmmbeer and root for those Braves more.

Texsox keeps flirting with the Astros/Rangers second option I would guess.

Another 2-3 more years of this with no hope in sight and you'll see 50% of those remaining fans either go radio silent (like Parkman or SSHM) or start to change their allegiance/s.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Another 2-3 more years of this with no hope in sight and you'll see 50% of those remaining fans either go radio silent (like Parkman or SSHM) or start to change their allegiance/s.

I can't understand why anybody baseball savvy doesn't switch their allegiances now. The roster! The roster! It is so obvious it's the worst roster in Sox history. You can't follow this team when those in charge have gutted the franchise. It's time. To leave.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I can't understand why anybody baseball savvy doesn't switch their allegiances now. The roster! The roster! It is so obvious it's the worst roster in Sox history. You can't follow this team when those in charge have gutted the franchise. It's time. To leave.

I just don’t care enough about another team to start following them. I would simply stop watching baseball. MLB as a whole should be more concerned than JR about that mindset, as I’m positive I’m not the only person in that boat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We have 152 games left,” manager Pedro Grifol said. “The record’s not good. You can’t hide from the record; it’s not good. But how are you not going to stay in a good place mentally when you’ve got 152 games left? If you’re not in a good place mentally, you’re going to have a long season.”

“We hit some balls hard, but we’ve still got to hit with runners in scoring position,” Grifol said. “I’ve seen streaks like this on the offensive side. We’ve just got to continue to battle through and get out of it.”

mlb.com

Edited by caulfield12
  • Paper Bag 2

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

We have 152 games left,” manager Pedro Grifol said. “The record’s not good. You can’t hide from the record; it’s not good. But how are you not going to stay in a good place mentally when you’ve got 152 games left? If you’re not in a good place mentally, you’re going to have a long season.”

“We hit some balls hard, but we’ve still got to hit with runners in scoring position,” Grifol said. “I’ve seen streaks like this on the offensive side. We’ve just got to continue to battle through and get out of it.”

mlb.com

Of course he has. He came from a dogshit organization, to the same dogshit organization, just in a bigger city.

• Paper Bag 1

1 hour ago, Milkman delivers said:

I just don’t care enough about another team to start following them. I would simply stop watching baseball. MLB as a whole should be more concerned than JR about that mindset, as I’m positive I’m not the only person in that boat.

Good point milk. I went to step two instead of the final divorce from the entire game. One day it dawned on me because of the Sox purposely fielding such a crap team to rip off me the fan, I could look to another team in Chicago. And one 40 miles from me here. Not actively crazily root for them but to follow their fortunes. And I'll monitor the Sox closely but never ever tune into a game, just highlights after games.

But I agree when u say u are not the only person prepared to stop watching MLB completely,

Edited by greg775
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Somewhere Rick Hahn and KW are probably chuckling over this start. But really, they should be embarrassed. They still have plenty of blame.

Meh, between the sell off at the deadline last year and the trades and signings this off-season I am pretty sure the only three people who don't believe this is a complete down to the studs rebuild is Grifol, Getz, and JR. And even they know it is, they just think they can fool the fans into thinking they have a "good roster".

Edited by T R U
typo

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

Good point milk. I went to step two instead of the final divorce from the entire game. One day it dawned on me because of the Sox purposely fielding such a crap team to rip off me the fan, I could look to another team in Chicago. And one 40 miles from me here. Not actively crazily root for them but to follow their fortunes. And I'll monitor the Sox closely but never ever tune into a game, just highlights after games.

But I agree when u say u are not the only person prepared to stop watching MLB completely,

I’ve been a Sox fan since 1952 and it would be so very hard to switch allegiance to another team but I’m at wits end with what we have seen the last few years, from possible World Series contenders to the dregs of Major League Baseball, it’s like a continuing bad dream that gets worse night by night. I’m seeing a lot of apathy and it begs the question that this might be the game plan to make things so bad that Sox Park will soon be a ghost town and JR would have the ammunition to move the team to another city, nothing surprises me anymore as  I remember when the Dodgers left Brooklyn for Los Angeles in 1958, just unbelievable at the time, the highly successful original Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore and the Colts moved to Indianapolis in the middle of the night, never underestimate how ruthless owners of professional sports teams can be with JR being as ruthless as any of them.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Somewhere Rick Hahn and KW are probably chuckling over this start. But really, they should be embarrassed. They still have plenty of blame.

They traded Tatis Jr, Madrigal and Burger  for nothing. This White Sox team would be alot better if those 3 were in the lineup.

• Like 1