Add new players? Getz' response - "Easier said than done"

tray

5 minutes ago, tray said:

If I had an employee who openly remarked that his/her job or any assigned task was "easier said that done," I would fire him/her.

This is the answer to the question posted last season...after Luis Robert and Jake Burger, who would Sox fans actually pay to watch hit?

Answer:  still undetermined Montgomery the likeliest bet, though.

4 minutes ago, Hang Wiffem said:

I interpret that as "good players cost money that I'm not allowed to spend"

That would be a firing offense as well but beyond that, that Getz is a real chickenshit.. "I'm not allowed"   really?

• Haha 1
  • TLR 1

43 minutes ago, Hang Wiffem said:

I interpret that as "good players cost money that I'm not allowed to spend"

Or "Good players won't come here because this organisation is a mess"

• Like 1

Query: Are the White Sox getting better or getting worse. The new SPs seem to be good for maybe three innings which is not really helping. Funny that JR is so cheap when he wants a new stadium. 

2 hours ago, pcq said:

Query: Are the White Sox getting better or getting worse. The new SPs seem to be good for maybe three innings which is not really helping. Funny that JR is so cheap when he wants a new stadium. 

The area 78 stadium proposal was created solely by the filth that owns that strip of land, and that isn't Jerry Reinsdorf.

Sox are not going to relocate to crooked creek and no one should expect taxpayers or Reinsdorf to throw 2 Billion dollars at that developer.

Amazon and others pulled out of there and the Sox should distance themselves from it as well.  There are other alternatives and right now there is nothing wrong with GR field. Meanwhile, as everyone knows, the problem is not enough talent on the current roster. Adding talent may be easier said than done, but it must be done.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, tray said:

The area 78 stadium proposal was created solely by the filth that owns that strip of land, and that isn't Jerry Reinsdorf.

Sox are not going to relocate to crooked creek and no one should expect taxpayers or Reinsdorf to throw 2 Billion dollars at that developer.

Amazon and others pulled out of there and the Sox should distance themselves from it as well.  There are other alternatives and right now there is nothing wrong with GR field. Meanwhile, as everyone knows, the problem is not enough talent on the current roster. Adding talent may be easier said than done, but it must be done.

Too many things have to come together for 78 to happen and this not a get her done org. Not many people want to grift Jerry $ 1.2 billion public for his project. Jerry is too old to make it happen.  

“Some of these guys are dealing with recurring injuries,” Getz said. “When you have an injury, you are at a higher risk of having a similar injury in the future. And that’s tough for players to accept and understand and organizations as well. It’s our job to prevent something like that from happening. Overall, it’s my job to build an organization that is resilient to injuries.

“Every team deals with them, and obviously we were hit with them here recently. But moving forward into the future, you’ve got to build out an organization to be able to take on some of these injuries and build out depth. We’ve certainly begun to do that just so when you are hit with them, you can continue to fight and compete and be as good as you can be.”

Losing one of these players would be tough for even the strongest of teams. All three being gone for a lengthy period of time makes life even tougher for an offense limited to one or zero home runs 11 times in 13 games, shut out an MLB-leading four times and sitting at 13-for-86 with runners in scoring position through Friday.

….

“He did a really good job this past series in Cleveland,” manager Pedro Grifol said. “He intensified it a little bit, he got up to about 75 percent. We want to get him between 85 and 90 percent and then assess it again and see what we want to do. But he’s getting really close.

“Obviously, it’s positive news and we’ll take that,” Getz said. “Those guys are impactful players for our Major League club. It’s better when they are out there than when they are not.”

Ugh…Getz is as bad as Grifol.

Merkin/mlb.com

• Like 1

At this point in the season, it is hard to add players. But other things could have been done in the past off-season, and things can be done in the next off season.

This is not a major league ballclub. Just hoping minor leaguers will eventually develop will only result in another failed rebuild. Money has to be spent. If not, fans shouldn't be expected to go out to see a minor league team. Do they want three straight 100-loss seasons?

11 hours ago, fathom said:

Getz pissed away money on players this offseason that clearly were done

Martin Maldonado is clearly worth the $4M to be a coach on the field, or so I've been told.

• Like 2
  • Paper Bag 1

12 hours ago, tray said:

That would be a firing offense as well but beyond that, that Getz is a real chickenshit.. "I'm not allowed"   really?

So the guy who is telling him to not spend money is going to fire him for listening to him?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Adding players now is challenging.  The big question is should have added different players during the offseason.  Personally, I believe they knew this team would be garbage no matter what given there few prospects ready to contribute.  As such, they needed to acquire some cheap placeholders to buy some time with a goal of not being historically bad in the interim.

I think the real flaw is Getz assumed that by fixing the defense there would be enough of a floor to not lose more than 100 games.  The problem is that most of his additions are legit awful hitters, which put significant pressure on three dudes with injury histories and two dudes coming off mediocre seasons.  And unfortunately, those injury plagued guys all got injured (some bad luck there) and the two Andrew’s continue to not be good.  The remaining group may be the worst set of offensive players ever assembled in baseball history.

I said for the last few months that Getz’s offseason plan of all defense and no offense would be a fascinating experiment, and so far, it’s blown up in his face.  I fully expected to lose 100 games and would not have penalized Getz for that given the shitshow that was the front office tandem before him, but under no circumstance should being the worst team in baseball history be allowed.  And that’s a very possible outcome and one Getz should be accountable if it happens as he’s the one who has acquired the bulk of the retreads & misfits that we are giving playing time 

• Like 3

I think he speaks the truth. If it was that easy every team would be great. Everyone believes because if a guy signed for X with a club they would also sign with the Sox for the same deal all we had to do was ask. Proposing deals and trades is easy. How many threads have been written here for two decades proving how easy it is? 

Now that we've established it's a hard job building a winning team, we now question if anyone in this organization is up to a hard job? I didn't think so. 

• Like 2

I highly doubt that the guy who was in charge of player development, and developed noone, is the guy capable of building a future organization deep enough to stay competitive in spite of injuries. I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, tray said:

Calling an innocuous phrase "a fireable offense" would be a fireable offense in any organization I ran.

A guy like Tommy Pham is 36 years old. He's probably looking for the best situation that keeps him employed as long as possible this year, and helps him get a job next year. He probably doesn't want to get 3 starts in 6 weeks, then get DFAed when Luis Robert gets back. So his agent might just be shaking every bush in MLB, Japan and Korea before he commits to that great, highly-sought-after contract with the White Sox. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tray said:

If I had an employee who openly remarked that his/her job or any assigned task was "easier said that done," I would fire him/her.

Another reason to not watch this team and support this organization. They just don't care, so why should I?

Edited by Saufley
  • Like 1

I can’t believe there are people in this thread who are mad that, in mid April, Getz said adding players is easier said than done. In what world do you think it is easy right now? Is that why all the other teams are making moves and adding guys? Oh wait…

• Like 1