Column on Schriffen...

1 hour ago, PaleAleSox said:

Raises "concerns?" Seems a little oveboard. This whole thing is so stupid. 

It's a hit piece by dudes that suck balls for guys like spiegel and parkins on the score.

This is stupid

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

The call was awesome. Most memorable call since Prime Hawk. I guess he's being proved right about the "haters".

And then the Sox got swept two series in a row in one week by the Twins.  Yeah, awesome call.  You can only talk trash when you are winning, not 6-25.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• I think it’s been blown out of proportion. He shouldn’t have said what he said especially when it made what clearly is an awful team 5-22. You get called an easy mark when you suck. Schriffen did the exact same thing on the broadcast when discussing the upcoming roadtrip. Sox just swept Tampa so going there was a big opportunity for wins. All that said, it was just some stupid comment after a nice win. He seems pretty harmless.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:
  • I think it’s been blown out of proportion. He shouldn’t have said what he said especially when it made what clearly is an awful team 5-22. You get called an easy mark when you suck. Schriffen did the exact same thing on the broadcast when discussing the upcoming roadtrip. Sox just swept Tampa so going there was a big opportunity for wins. All that said, it was just some stupid comment after a nice win. He seems pretty harmless.

This is what happens when 36 year old Tommy Pham is the most story-worthy player on your entire team.

• Like 1

Here's what I can say without a doubt.

My viewing experience this year has been hampered/damaged in no way by Schriffen compared to Benetti --- which was my entire point last year.

The Sox are terrible and will be terrible to watch regardless of who calls the games. Schriffen has been whatever - he's actually been WAY better than I expected but he's still annoying and kind of blows.

The pro-Benetti weirdo's were honestly as bad as the anti-Benetti people. There are still people posting clips of Jason Benetti talking on twitter and shaming Reinsdorf. Once you get "in" with the media crowd, everyone in that world will defend you beyond reason and act as though you're the reason people are watching the games.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

And then the Sox got swept two series in a row in one week by the Twins.  Yeah, awesome call.  You can only talk trash when you are winning, not 6-25.

It was a fun moment and he exuded that as such. It's not any deeper that that moment. He should not have said "And Benitendi hit a long one to win the game but the Sox fucking suck and just got swept by the twins" for example, so im not sure how that is relevant in the moment.

Albeit it would have been funny if he did do that.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JoshPR said:

Another crap story from the sun times. I bet if it was the Cubs they wouldn't be all up in arms

The Cubs are also 19-13 and a game back from first place.  When you are winning, you can afford to talk smack, not when you have the worst record in baseball.  Then you just look like a clown.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

"And Benitendi hit a long one to win the game but the Sox fucking suck and just got swept by the twins"

That would be hysterical.

• Haha 3

I thought the call was cringey as hell, but raises concerns and writing a whole column about it is so much cringier and raises more concerns about Jeff Agrest than it does about Schriffen.

• Like 4

Just now, Quin said:

I thought the call was cringey as hell, but raises concerns and writing a whole column about it is so much cringier and raises more concerns about Jeff Agrest than it does about Schriffen.

He’s the ultimate hater.

• Haha 2

While none of this is a "big deal" and will be forgotten quickly, I don't disagree with the premise of the article at all. 

The team is currently 6-25 and we know the history of this franchise and the laundry list of gripes we all have about Jerry. Calling anyone "haters" of this franchise is a stretch, for obvious reasons. 

But fine, whatever...it doesn't become a story if when both radio stations reached out to have Schriffen on the air to talk about the call, he goes on. But instead he decided to run away. That's a horseshit move. You want to puff your chest and respond to the "haters" but when asked to clarify...no thank you? He could have used it as an opportunity to defend the White Sox, or at the very least tell people who he was directing that at, there are a bunch of ways he could have made a potential interview a win for him and create a more personal connection with fans given he has only called about 30 games with the team...but instead he decided to run and hide. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, 2Deep said:

It's a hit piece by dudes that suck balls for guys like spiegel and parkins on the score.

This is stupid

I stopped listening to the SCORE and ESPN "Talking Heads" years ago.  They just look to put people down regardless if it's a caller, player, or team.  Some comments are legit, however they are still annoying as hell.  Bernstein, Speigel, Parkins, Harry, Silvy, Waddle take your pick, no thanks not me.

Edited by A-Train to 35th
punct.
  • Like 2

Here's my take on it. After witnessing prime hawk and "shell-of-himself" Hawk, rookie Benetti and prime Benetti, and now rookie Schriffen, I've come to the conclusion that you can't make everyone happy with broadcasters. No matter who's in the booth, more than likely you'll have people that either love him, hate him, or could care less. Personally I did not like Benetti at first but he grew on me. Loved prime Hawk, hated his style at the end. I like Schriffen, even if he is a bit over the top, he's still finding his footing. His style definitely would work better for winning teams. If this team was on top of the division, I'd bet a lot more people would like him.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, JoshPR said:

Another crap story from the sun times. I bet if it was the Cubs they wouldn't be all up in arms

I cancelled the Tribune because of Paul Sullivan's pieces on the Sox, maybe I should give up the Sun Times too since it's only good for the sports section and late night sports results.  The Tribune late results (after 9PM it seemed) were posted the following day.

22 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The Cubs are also 19-13 and a game back from first place.  When you are winning, you can afford to talk smack, not when you have the worst record in baseball.  Then you just look like a clown.

True but I meant if the Cubs were in the same situation as the sox

6 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I cancelled the Tribune because of Paul Sullivan's pieces on the Sox, maybe I should give up the Sun Times too since it's only good for the sports section and late night sports results.  The Tribune late results (after 9PM it seemed) were posted the following day.

Speaking of Sully (who is a Sox fan by the way, I've known him for years) he has an interesting look back at Harry's days with the Sox vis a vis the recent announcer controversy:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2024/05/02/chicago-white-sox-harry-caray-legacy/