Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 01:28 PM)
Pretty sure he was dealing with some severe back pain down the stretch last year, wasn't he? Just everything about that situation reminded me of Crede. He had a great 2006 up until September and then he was never, ever the same player again.

Please don't remind me of Crede..I really liked that guy. I think you're right about Donaldson though

The Chicago #Whitesox are looming as the #frontrunner to acquire #Athletics ace Jeff Samardzija after the clubs engaged in serious talks

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/541918673565261824

Oakland and the White Sox have been frequent trade partners through the years. Execs on both sides say they work well together. #Samardzija

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/541924420751605760

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 06:41 AM)
The Chicago #Whitesox are looming as the #frontrunner to acquire #Athletics ace Jeff Samardzija after the clubs engaged in serious talks

Oakland and the White Sox have been frequent trade partners through the years. Execs on both sides say they work well together. #Samardzija

As long as Rodon and Anderson are not involved, I'm ok dealing for him

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 05:09 AM)
I certainly hope he is extended right away if they trade for Samardzija. It'll be interesting to see what happens this week.

If Sox lock up Shark long term it would shock the baseball world. That's how unlikely it is.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 07:46 AM)
Oh joy, now we have to deal with another 20 pages on how this terrible idea is something the white sox should do.

You don't even know the parameters of a potential deal and you're already calling it terrible?

Let's give Hahn the benefit of the doubt here. He isn't going to do something stupid.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 07:54 AM)
You don't even know the parameters of a potential deal and you're already calling it terrible?

Let's give Hahn the benefit of the doubt here. He isn't going to do something stupid.

I think he's complaining about the people complaining when they see this

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 08:54 AM)

I can't come up with parameters of any deal that makes sense for the White Sox to my eyes unless Samardzija gives the White Sox a large hometown discount that he wouldn't give the Cubs. Otherwise, moving anyone of even minor value from the White Sox's system for Samardzija seems silly to me and a much worse option than going and spending that huge, 9 figure money on someone like Shields or Scherzer.

Rodon? For 1 year of Shark? Are you nuts?

Rodon may be able to = Shark, a number 2 at best, next year.

Alexei only. No way does a team with 3/4 top prospects give 1/4-1/3 of that for shark. Even secondary prospects like Rondon, who becomes elite if he learns to hit, should be off the table.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 06:41 AM)

#frontrunner? Hashtag frontrunner?? I don't think BNightengale understands what hashtags are for.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 08:21 AM)
Oh, yea, we work well together.

Give them Durham for free.

Trade Foulke for Koch.

Trade 3/5 to prospects for that elite bat, Swisher.

Sure, Williams was always willing to pile on prospects, and that worked very well for Beane.

Well, they took Dunn. So, all previous bad trades forgiven

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)
Rodon? For 1 year of Shark? Are you nuts?

Rodon may be able to = Shark, a number 2 at best, next year.

Alexei only. No way does a team with 3/4 top prospects give 1/4-1/3 of that for shark. Even secondary prospects like Rondon, who becomes elite if he learns to hit, should be off the table.

And if you carefully read the posts on the last page, no one is suggesting this...

If the Sox do trade for him, they are going to have to give up value. Whether it is one year or not, you theoretically get a frontline pitcher for a discount, and if you can't sign him, you get a supplemental pick. So for the year of service, the 9 or 10 months of exclusive negotiation rights, and the insurance of a decent draft pick, it isn't like you are going to be able to get him for someone who doesn't have a really good chance of succeeding.