AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER

BaconOnAStick

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ May 17, 2015 -> 06:46 PM)
This is why I defend farmer and DJ a lot. They have a lot of fluff, but they have some excellent pitch sequence commentary which we do not get on our tv team often.

We're playing them at a good time. We're (presumably) starting Sale, Quintana, Rodon, and Danks - four lefties.

Their regular lineup:

Jason Kipnis - lefty - hitting .415 vs. RHP, .214 vs. LHP

Carlos Santana - switch - .213 vs RHP, .229 vs LHP

Michael Brantley - lefty - hitting .320 vs RHP, .400 vs LHP (although this is the only year he's hit better against lefties)

David Murphy - lefty - hitting .319 vs. RHP, 0-for-1 vs LHP

Lonnie Chisenhall - lefty - hitting .256 vs RHP, .214 vs LHP

Brandon Moss - lefty - hitting . 214 vs RHP, .265 vs LHP (he's about even on his career)

Michael Bourn - lefty - hitting .250 vs RHP, .200 vs LHP

Roberto Perez - righty - hitting .216 vs RHP, 0-for16 vs LHP

Jose Ramirez - switch - hitting .219 vs RHP, .036 vs LHP

Obviously they sub some of these guys out against lefties. As a result, we'll be seeing a lot more Nick Swisher, Ryan Raburn and Mike Aviles, but I don't think they'll keep everyone out everyday (and if they do, it'll hurts both their power and their defense).

QUOTE (bmags @ May 17, 2015 -> 06:48 PM)
I'm so thrilled we went on a streak, but can't help but be bummed that after 2.5 weeks of really good baseball we are only at .500. I really want this to keep going so that .500 isn't the ghost we are chasing all season after a terrible start.

A series of small victories builds a sustained winner. It's so uncommon to go wire to wire. It's likely that this team will be streaky, that's what we've seen so far. The trick is to have the winning streaks happen at the right time and outweigh the losing streaks. It's a long season and the Sox have played fewer games than anyone.. There's a lot of baseball left.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 17, 2015 -> 06:48 PM)
I'm so thrilled we went on a streak, but can't help but be bummed that after 2.5 weeks of really good baseball we are only at .500. I really want this to keep going so that .500 isn't the ghost we are chasing all season after a terrible start.

Yea man, chasing that .500 ghost would feel all too familiar from the last decade or so. The difference this year is all the drink stirring. Clubhouse seems real tight- these boys gonna blast right through .500.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ May 17, 2015 -> 07:18 PM)
HOW ARE WE .500?!?!?!?!?!!?!

simple math I guess. We've won as many as we've lost. But man it seemed almost unobtainable at one time. Heck yeah!

9-3 since Cameron said it was time for the Sox to bail. I guess that is why he is at Fangraphs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2015 -> 06:06 PM)
Honestly, I got more out of Rowand this series then I have out of Steve Stone the entire time he has been here. Rowand's insights into pitch sequences, mechanics and the mental approaches were more depth than I have heard out of that booth since Jack McDowell sat in last year.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ May 17, 2015 -> 06:06 PM)
I actually thought Aaron got better as the series went on. He got more comfortable, and did a decent job IMO. The first game, and the third game, were totally different. He improved leaps and bounds.

Agreed on all above.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 17, 2015 -> 06:28 PM)
Well said. I have mlb.tv so I watch a lot of other broadcasts when the Sox aren't on. These were by far the best 3 games i've heard announced by far, no homer talking either. The insight these two had was incredible with respect to approach at the plate.

When you watch other teams' guys you always get the announcer voice blabbing out stats. Stats? Really? Stats? Playoffs? Practice? Stats? Lol we can all read the stats on the screen chip carey. Thanks bub. Len kasper, thanks for not talking about anything baseball related etc.

Good points.

The White Sox basically beat the mirror image of themselves, at least the way they were playing for most of the first six weeks. The A's couldn't get out of their own way defensively...baserunning...execution, clutch hitting, etc.

Now it's time to see where they're really at...like a test case, before the real challengers.

Anything less than 4-3 would be a huge disappointment. 5-2 would obviously be better to put them multiple games over the .500 mark.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 17, 2015 -> 05:04 PM)
He's making a lot of posters around here eat s***, that's for sure.

You know I was tempted to say something along those lines but it's a long season and I take no pleasure in saying " I told you so" . But I do take great pleasure in how he's been playing :)

I ripped Shark in the game thread, but obviously he got it together and shut up critics like me. Nice job, actually, in finishing off the A's. Big walk by Beckham. Nice to get some breaks like the smash off the pitcher's glove, the catcher firing the ball past first baseman, etc. Hawk really mis-read that Avi blast. What a shot. Eaton hustle double.

Hope the White Sox have learned it's fun to play like this. Time to match KC, Detroit and Minnie win for win.

Glad to see Rowand yell "yes" with Hawk on the home run call.

Edited by greg775

Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 11m11 minutes ago

Bob Melvin thought they'd knock Jeff Samardzija out in the 5th: "Next thing you know he’s out there in the 8th, so it was impressive.”

Sox do not play by 100 pitch count hard cap. Teams think they have a guy on the ropes but Robin/Coop bring them out there with 110 pitches thrown and its not what opponents are expecting. I personally like it.