Samardzija Trade Packages

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 02:03 PM)
One problem I'm now noticing...who would play 1b? Abreu looks like he's about to fall apart right now and that's after 5 days off. I don't exactly care about losing more games, but seriously who plays 1b for the next few games/if Abreu goes on the DL and LaRoche is shipped out?

That's a fair point. If Abreu can't handle a full workload at 1B (say 150 games), then we may not have a choice but moving Avi instead (or even both). RF & 3B are the two spots IMO where we should be targeting significant two-way upgrades. I don't see this team taking a step forward until they add a couple difference makers at those spots (along with improvements & lesser upgrades at other positions).

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 02:03 PM)
One problem I'm now noticing...who would play 1b? Abreu looks like he's about to fall apart right now and that's after 5 days off. I don't exactly care about losing more games, but seriously who plays 1b for the next few games/if Abreu goes on the DL and LaRoche is shipped out?

I dont know that it matters at this point. If the team is going nowhere you can throw Beckham over there to spell Abreu, he could handle the position fine. You could give Davidson a crack at the majors to close out the year, or bring up Rob Brantly or Kevan Smith and have a three way platoon between C and 1B. Sure the results would not be pretty, but, you could save some wear and tear on Abreu and get a chance to see if any of those bats are going to play on the ML level. If not, you are playing for a draft pick anyway at that point.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 09:12 AM)
LaRoche isn't really a bad contract. He'll be in his walk year next year and I still bet on him coming around this year and have relatively respectable numbers, slightly below his 3 year trend. And at that price, I think you could move him (if not early in the season, by the deadline a team would be looking for a vet bat to add). I don't think the LaRoche / Danks contract, at this point, are reasons you don't sign Shark (given that both are done a year from now).

Well when you realize the Sox could've had Kendry Morales or Adam Lind for considerably less it sucks looking at his stats and his salary.

Dayton Moore smarter than Hahn/Williams ? Luckier ? If the Sox can dump LaRoche maybe trade for Lind.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 05:12 PM)
Well when you realize the Sox could've had Kendry Morales or Adam Lind for considerably less it sucks looking at his stats and his salary.

Dayton Moore smarter than Hahn/Williams ? Luckier ? If the Sox can dump LaRoche maybe trade for Lind.

That's if we are willing to believe Morales and Lind would have played exactly the same with us.

In the case of KC, it was kind of the perfect fit for him...they needed a veteran, stabilizing presence to take Butler's spot.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 06:12 PM)

I'm pretty sure Lind is a free agent after this year. Sox will not trade for him.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 05:38 PM)
I think it's a team option for 2016 at 8M . If thats right Brewers probably keep him for that money.

At his age, and with the likelihood of rebuilding with youth coming...it wouldn't be totally surprising if they passed. Do they have any top prospects who are DH/1b types?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 04:24 PM)
That's if we are willing to believe Morales and Lind would have played exactly the same with us.

In the case of KC, it was kind of the perfect fit for him...they needed a veteran, stabilizing presence to take Butler's spot.

Morales is in the same division as the Sox pretty much facing the same pitchers minus his own team mates. LaRoche was a bad signing . Way too old and terrible stats against lefties, even his 2nd half last year which normally was his strong suit came way down and could be construed as more evidence of decline. And they still play him against lefties . That's really sad. I'm pretty sure I remember Balta saying that the Sox would do just that and he's been right.

Someone should pull the LaRoche signing thread. I can't remember if I said anything about it at the time .

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 04:45 PM)
Morales is in the same division as the Sox pretty much facing the same pitchers minus his own team mates. LaRoche was a bad signing . Way too old and terrible stats against lefties, even his 2nd half last year which normally was his strong suit came way down and could be construed as more evidence of decline. And they still play him against lefties . That's really sad. I'm pretty sure I remember Balta saying that the Sox would do just that and he's been right.

Someone should pull the LaRoche signing thread. I can't remember if I said anything about it at the time .

Morales didn't have to adjust to league's like LaRoche. LaRoche is also notorious slow starter (that said I know he has struggled a lot the past month).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 04:55 PM)
Morales didn't have to adjust to league's like LaRoche. LaRoche is also notorious slow starter (that said I know he has struggled a lot the past month).

And that's another thing that made it a bad signing. League adjustment, declining stats against lefties, 2nd half worse than his 1st half in 2014 when it's normally the other way around.

Sox need to focus on AL players to get more predictable results. The stats were there . Why no one in the front office paid any attention to them is beyond my comprehension.

This is not good news for the Sox.

USA Today's Bob Nightengale reports that the Tigers plan to put David Price and Yoenis Cespedes on the trade block.

Nightengale says that "barring a veto from owner Mike Ilitch," the club is "going to surrender and be sellers." For what it's worth, general manager Dave Dombrowski said the team hasn't decided what do to at the deadline. They'll likely wait as long as possible, but the Tigers almost surely can't catch the Royals and they're not looking like much of a Wild Card contender with Miguel Cabrera (calf) hurt and Justin Verlander a shell of his former self. Dealing Price and Cespedes would help the club restock a barren farm system.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 07:13 PM)
And that's another thing that made it a bad signing. League adjustment, declining stats against lefties, 2nd half worse than his 1st half in 2014 when it's normally the other way around.

Sox need to focus on AL players to get more predictable results. The stats were there . Why no one in the front office paid any attention to them is beyond my comprehension.

It's not the first time this has happened. I get that prospects are challenging to evaluate, but the this FO can't even evaluate the veterans appropriately.

That would put Price, Cueto, Hamels and probably Chapman ahead of Samardzija...and, if the Sox are asking too much, someone like Haren from the Marlins.

What's the status with Kazmir's injury the other day?

Should be plenty of interest, Ventura got rocked again so it seems KC really needs an anchor at the front end of that rotation to stabilize things and remove some of the pressure on Duffy and Yordano.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 04:23 AM)
That would put Price, Cueto, Hamels and probably Chapman ahead of Samardzija...and, if the Sox are asking too much, someone like Haren from the Marlins.

Price & Cueto sure, but Chapman is a closer and Hamels is in a completely different group due to his contract. And Haren is a big cut below Shark & the rest of these guys and not rarely a factor come October.

Right now, the best way to maximize Shark's value is to move him while Cueto's asking price is ridiculous and before Price becomes readily available.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 12:42 PM)
Price & Cueto sure, but Chapman is a closer and Hamels is in a completely different group due to his contract. And Haren is a big cut below Shark & the rest of these guys and not rarely a factor come October.

Right now, the best way to maximize Shark's value is to move him while Cueto's asking price is ridiculous and before Price becomes readily available.

a good point, it all depends on the asking and not wanting to play hard ball. but then again get a fair rtn.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 06:22 PM)
But signing him long term ties you to a fly ball pitcher who's already 30.

Trading Q will get more because he's better, younger, and has a better contract.

It doesnt tie you to anything, the Sox can still take the pick Samardzija and deal Quintana.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 10:35 AM)
With more guys being available, I don't see us getting much back for Shark. I think he finishes the season with the team and we collect the draft pick. Lets hope he signs early in the off-season so we can get an earlier pick in that round.

Doubt that's the case. Tons of teams need pitching.

Well still get a good deal for Shark. I'm not worried. Ya Cueto and Price are better options but they're better and will require a better package. As for Hamels, he's under contract for a few more seasons at a reasonable price, so he's going to require quite the haul.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 11:22 AM)
Is any team realistically willing to give up what Q would bring back in a trade though? I mean you don't trade him for anything except a huge haul.

You almost have to trade Quintana. With a historically terrible offense and defense, we have to be willing to deal someone who's capable of providing us with a package that inproves the team. Not just in 2016, but beyond.

If not from Quintana, how does this team improve with dealing Shark for a b rated prospect? We're sure as hell not going to replace six full-time position players off FA/waiver deals, i'll tell you that much. We need help.