Sox have asked Indians about Sandy Alomar Jr

Dunt

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 14, 2015 -> 02:54 AM)
I think that was also for hitting coach, although that makes less sense with Steverson seemingly set to return.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2...house/15314435/

Here's an example of his impact on the Royals' clubhouse and team confidence last year.

Merkin mentioned Raul Ibanez. I bet they try to hire him as Assistant Hitting Coach. That was the job Baines had.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 03:29 PM)
Relevant

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 1h1 hour ago Chicago, IL

Here's my story: http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article/155...new-bench-coach … Have heard Acta, Ibanez and Renteria as possibilities on their list

So two former managers, one prime manager candidate, and Ibanez. Yeah, 3 of those 4 names scream potential Ventura replacement to me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 03:39 PM)
So two former managers, one prime manager candidate, and Ibanez. Yeah, 3 of those 4 names scream potential Ventura replacement to me.

Huh, googling Ibanez, apparently he was a finalist to replace Maddon in Tampa, even though he hadn't officially retired yet.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 03:40 PM)
Huh, googling Ibanez, apparently he was a finalist to replace Maddon in Tampa, even though he hadn't officially retired yet.

I remember reading that as well. Pretty obvious what's going on here. Might as well be prepared for something that could definitely happen. This is a little far off but how long do you think Robin gets? A month?

So let me get this straight, Robin Ventura's managerial winning pct. of .458 is ample proof he is a terrible manager, and no one but the White Sox would ever hire him again.

And Manny Acta would make a decent bench coach hire and potential Ventura replacement despite his .385 winning pct. in 3 years in Washington and .446 winning pct. in 3 years in Cleveland.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 09:47 AM)
My top 2 options are Renteria and Alomar Jr.

It looks like Sandy is out. I wonder which side bailed.

What is interesting is what kind of contract can the White Sox actually offer this guy? If the entire staff has 1 more year left, including Robin, can you really give a bench coach a multi-year deal? The other interesting thing was making McEwing a bench coach and hiring a 3B coach. That might actually be more beneficial winning games. I thought Super Joe made some really bad decisions the past couple of years.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 09:06 AM)
So let me get this straight, Robin Ventura's managerial winning pct. of .458 is ample proof he is a terrible manager, and no one but the White Sox would ever hire him again.

And Manny Acta would make a decent bench coach hire and potential Ventura replacement despite his .385 winning pct. in 3 years in Washington and .446 winning pct. in 3 years in Cleveland.

No one is really that excited with it. But it's the right move now that we've backed ourselves in a corner. Instead of going out there and finding a proper replacement, we retained Ventura and instead have to find someone who will be an assistant and maybe, just maybe get a shot at being the head guy. This is the candidate pool you get left with.

If Acta replaces Parent and Ibanez replaces Baines that's about as good as I could see the staff changes going. But getting rid of Ventura still would have been better.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 10:22 AM)
Image if it were Ricky Renteria and he lead the White Sox to sustained years of success. He seemed to do well in getting the cub moving in the right direction.

I don't know if Renteria is a good manager or not, but some like to give all the credit to Maddon with the huge bump in wins. It's an entirely different team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 09:06 AM)

Can you name one poster who ripped Robin as manager due to his winning percentage that is in favor of hiring Acta as our manager? If not, you've once again combined a variety of Soxtalk opinions and then screamed "hypocrisy".

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 01:50 PM)
Can you name one poster who ripped Robin as manager due to his winning percentage that is in favor of hiring Acta as our manager? If not, you've once again combined a variety of Soxtalk opinions and then screamed "hypocrisy".

Robin's winning pct. has been mentioned numerous times as the proof he needs to be fired. It has also been posted that no team other than the White Sox would ever hire him. You called Acta an ideal candidate. What is that based on? Certainly not how the teams he managed played.

73-89

59-102

26-61

69-93

80-82

65-91

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 01:50 PM)

This is so stinking annoying too. If you want to attribute an opinion to "Soxtalk" it should be something that is almost universally held.