2017 Offseason White Sox News, Notes, and Tweets thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 03:22 PM)
He'll start next year in AAA and if he dominates I could definitely see him coming up at some point.

Ya there's a very good chance we see him at some point in 2018 imo. Whether it's July, August, September I don't know but if he keeps progressing and dominating he'll be up at some point to at least get his feet wet.

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 03:16 PM)
I'd be shocked if we see Kopech before 2019.

Kopech has only thrown 233 minor league innings, I would prefer to wait on him until 2019. Why start his service clock any sooner than necessary as well?

He should start 2018 in AAA though. He still needs to cut down the walks otherwise MLB hitters will lay off his great stuff.

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 05:00 PM)
Kopech has only thrown 233 minor league innings, I would prefer to wait on him until 2019. Why start his service clock any sooner than necessary as well?

He should start 2018 in AAA though. He still needs to cut down the walks otherwise MLB hitters will lay off his great stuff.

I said it in a minor league thread the other day, but he is just about to hit 100 IP in a season for the first time ever. He is also still walking 5 guys per 9 IP. Until you get him through an innings base (say 150 to 180) and more into the 3 BB/9 range, he can wait. One of the biggest things that people tore down the Sox player development for is rushing people. Now we have no need to and I think the White Sox are starting to buy into that philosophy. In years past I would put money on Moncada, Giolito and Lopez all having been on the opening day roster. It is July 28th and only one of those guys is in Chicago. A guy like Kopech has spent the entire season at AA. Despite Adolfo and Jimenez tearing the cover off of the ball for extended periods, they are still in A ball.

I don't think the White Sox want to rush Koepech.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 05:10 PM)
I said it in a minor league thread the other day, but he is just about to hit 100 IP in a season for the first time ever. He is also still walking 5 guys per 9 IP. Until you get him through an innings base (say 150 to 180) and more into the 3 BB/9 range, he can wait. One of the biggest things that people tore down the Sox player development for is rushing people. Now we have no need to and I think the White Sox are starting to buy into that philosophy. In years past I would put money on Moncada, Giolito and Lopez all having been on the opening day roster. It is July 28th and only one of those guys is in Chicago. A guy like Kopech has spent the entire season at AA. Despite Adolfo and Jimenez tearing the cover off of the ball for extended periods, they are still in A ball.

I don't think the White Sox want to rush Koepech.

Worth mentioning:

First half - 6 BB/9 (44 BB in 66 IP)

Second half - 3.6 BB/9 (13 in 32.1 IP)

And, over his last 3 starts, he's at 1.8 BB/9 over 20 IP, including an 8 inning start where he didn't walk anyone. That's as much tangible progress as I need to see that he's developing.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 12:35 PM)
Worth mentioning:

And, over his last 3 starts, he's at 1.8 BB/9 over 20 IP, including an 8 inning start where he didn't walk anyone. That's as much tangible progress as I need to see that he's developing.

Great points. Absolutely is progress. My hope is that they ease him back and shut him down around 125ish innings. With Spring training and a Triple AAA assignment to begin next year, he should continue to refine his control further and improve the change-up/3rd pitch.

Former top prospect and 2013 first rounder DJ Peterson DFAd by the Mariners today. With extra 40 man spots, and the Sox with the top waiver spot, I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a chance on him. Still has 2 option years. He's probably toast, but still just 25. What's the harm?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 03:17 PM)
Former top prospect and 2013 first rounder DJ Peterson DFAd by the Mariners today. With extra 40 man spots, and the Sox with the top waiver spot, I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a chance on him. Still has 2 option years. He's probably toast, but still just 25. What's the harm?

We just traded for Casey Gillespie, I'd rather give him a shot than pursue Peterson

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 11:13 PM)
We just traded for Casey Gillespie, I'd rather give him a shot than pursue Peterson

You could give both of them a shot. Delmonico, while not really a 3B, is going to be in the majors soonish, and there is no reason to not grab a guy like Peterson when we'll have first dibs. Plenty of spots on the 40 man, and if he sucks, you can move on quickly. I don't see the harm.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 12:35 PM)
Worth mentioning:

Good stuff Wite.

Sox pitchers tonight:

Giolito: 5 innings, 4 hits, 0 runs, 2 walks, 7 strike outs

Kopech: 7 innings, 4 hits, 1 unearned run, 1 walk, 11 strike outs

Hansen: 6 innings, 2 hits, 0 runs, 2 walks, 12 strike outs

Hansen now has something like 150 strike outs in about 115 innings of work.