Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

16 minutes ago, WarrenNewsom said:

This is my first ever post, so I understand if it looks like a troll job.

A friend of mine who lives in Chicago (let's call him Tom) is friends with a guy (let's call him Mitch) who works very closely with an owner of another prominent MLB team.  Tom has gotten front row Cubs tickets, luxury box Bears tickets, etc because of this connection.

Around the time of the Winter Meetings, Mitch told Tom to bank on Bryce to the Cubs.  Tom had heard the same reports as the rest of us with the Cubs not being involved but the other guy said it was a done deal and just took moving salary out.  He said the following guys might get traded... Heyward, Happ, Russell, Schwarber and Quintana.  Mitch also told him it would probably happen soon and this was 3+ weeks ago so that part of the story already is lacking.  I've met Mitch quickly when he hooked us up with some Yankees-Cubs tickets two summers ago (I despise the Cubs but wasn't going to pass up that chance) and he seems down to earth and definitely connected.  Tom thinks Mitch's word is gospel but obviously a lot of BS gets floated out in different circles.

Just thought I'd pass it on, it sounded like nonsense cocky Cub talk, but Mitch is affiliated with a rival of the Cubs so it wasn't wishful thinking or anything on his part.  

Welcome!

• Haha 1

The Cubs want Harper and Harper needs the Cubs because there is no market for him.  Mitch and Tom are spot on and if the Cubs can make deals they will get him.

I don't need a source or anything to know this, it's common sense.  The Cubs need this info out there to stay in media spotlight this off season and boras needs them as the boogeyman to the phils and sox.

My guess is the Nats made an offer in October and it's still floating out there until it is determined that the cub can't launder enough money through dumb GMs  to sign him.  Not sure Harper wants to stay in DC but don't think he wants to play for Sox or other current suitors either.

This isn't rumor or speculation it's just common sense.

if phils or sox blow DC offer away they may get him....cub only needs to be in ballpark

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The Cubs want Harper and Harper needs the Cubs because there is no market for him.  Mitch and Tom are spot on and if the Cubs can make deals they will get him.

I don't need a source or anything to know this, it's common sense.  The Cubs need this info out there to stay in media spotlight this off season and boras needs them as the boogeyman to the phils and sox.

My guess is the Nats made an offer in October and it's still floating out there until it is determined that the cub can't launder enough money through dumb GMs  to sign him.  Not sure Harper wants to stay in DC but don't think he wants to play for Sox or other current suitors either.

This isn't rumor or speculation it's just common sense.

if phils or sox blow DC offer away they may get him....cub only needs to be in ballpark

I hope he has fun losing with cubs more then winning same goes for the Nats.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

The problem is that the market for 4 of those 5 guys is down or way down.

Generally, sell low and buy high isn’t going to lead to great amount of success in any endeavor.   And teams like the Giants would have more need for Almora because of that huge outfield.

The Quintana thing doesn't make sense to me. He is still surplus value due to his cheap contract, and the Cubs shouldn't be getting rid of pitching help. 

The rest of those names I buy, as ways to facilitate a Heyward deal.

10 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

Getting rid of Happ, Schwarber, and Q just to sign Harper doesn't make the Cubs any better IMO. In fact it probably makes them significantly worse.

8 hours ago, Quin said:

Shit, I might help facilitate that.

If the Sox signed Machado, I think I'd be ok with them adding Q, Happ, & Schwarber for the price of taking on Heyward!

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:35 AM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

The Quintana thing doesn't make sense to me. He is still surplus value due to his cheap contract, and the Cubs shouldn't be getting rid of pitching help. 

The rest of those names I buy, as ways to facilitate a Heyward deal.

Q is due  $22 Million total in 2019-20.  Then a free agent.

On 1/5/2019 at 3:31 AM, caulfield12 said:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/25676643/mlb-stock-watch-midwinter-winners-losers

Nationals the most improved MLB team this offseason, even with the possible loss of Harper...

That's largely because they underperformed last year and return to their norm would probably improve them 8-10 games.
As for Heyward, he produces like a 4th OF and is owed $106 million.  Attaching major league players to him seems counterproductive for a team trying to win...and guys like Happ and Schwarber, whom they could get by without, can hit but are poor defensively so they aren't in that high a demand.  They could deal him to someone like the Giants, split the difference by taking back some of their high contract pitchers.....but those guys can still pitch decently so the Giants should want return on those pitchers plus assets to take on Heyward's contract.   Seems like they'd have to throw a couple of really high prospects, if they have them.

Edited by GreenSox

28 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I know some have speculated this could all be BS and that Theo is flying under the radar for Bryce, but the reality is the Cubs are adhering to a strict budget and aren’t going to players for any free agents of significance without moving some big time contracts.

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper: Meeting with Phillies in Vegas
3 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Or is the Shane rumor is to believed, they are moving on. Hopefully, hahahaha

Honestly, with the way they are talking about the Phillies doing this meeting it sounds like they are desperate, so maybe they know they are out on Machado. That would still leave the Yankees, but the fewer competitors the better. 

13 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

Honestly, with the way they are talking about the Phillies doing this meeting it sounds like they are desperate, so maybe they know they are out on Machado. That would still leave the Yankees, but the fewer competitors the better. 

I think they are out on Machado. I suspect they will make an offer, but only to appease their fans. Why bother with Harper right now except that the only other team clearly interested is neck deep with Machado? Boras doesn't seem to be in any rush. It makes sense for the Phillies to try to pull something together before the Sox have the chance to bid. Regardless of whether the Sox actually can get both Machado and Harper, another team means higher bids.

1 hour ago, G&T said:

I think they are out on Machado. I suspect they will make an offer, but only to appease their fans. Why bother with Harper right now except that the only other team clearly interested is neck deep with Machado? Boras doesn't seem to be in any rush. It makes sense for the Phillies to try to pull something together before the Sox have the chance to bid. Regardless of whether the Sox actually can get both Machado and Harper, another team means higher bids.

The latest report that they're upping their offer to Machado this week certainly doesn't indicate that the Phillies are out of the race. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

The latest report that they're upping their offer to Machado this week certainly doesn't indicate that the Phillies are out of the race. 

Yeah, but it could be that they were talking low ball numbers to begin with. If the Phillies wanted him, and know the Sox are out there with a pot of money, why not put a serious offer on the table a week ago?

I don't want to derail this thread with Machado, but the Sox appear to be serious, and I think the Sox met the dollar requirement for Machado. Anyway, why wouldn't the Sox match a number from the Phillies given that they are bringing in Yonder and Jay? Leaks to the media are frequently directed at informing fans, and it looks better to Philly fans if they looks like they made a serious run.

If I'm wrong about this, then it says that the Sox are acquiring Manny's friends without any indication Manny will sign, or haven't met his price. I prefer not to believe that because it's a strange choice. But, if the Sox don't sign Machado this week, then I will become a skeptic that they get either player. Until then, I'm confident.

As far as I'm concerned the Harper-to-Washington talk is meaningless. No way Boras is willing to sign until he sees at least one of the White Sox or Phillies get desperate after swinging out on Machado.

I still deep down think Sox have a better chance with Harper than Machado.

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils