Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

Since the national discussion about Harper's likely destination now seems to be uninterested in minor details like whether the team in question has room for Harper on its roster, has the financial flexibility to pay him, or has met with him/expressed any interest in signing him, why not throw the Red Sox into the mix?  They are the defending World Series champs.  They are also very popular.  Bryce Harper would hit home runs in Fenway.  I hereby declare the Red Sox the new frontrunners to sign Harper. 

• Haha 6

54 minutes ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

Chicago White Sox Exclusive

Peavy44 just got kicked out of that group because everyone, as they should, piled on that Steve guy for that awful fake rumor about Harper willing to take a 1-2 year deal from the Cubs, and Peavy got VERY offended that no one believed his bestie Steve, and started cussing and yelling at everyone. He even posted a photo that the Steve guy supposedly took with Harper....on a public street, to PROVE that they are friends and he has inside knowledge. 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Peavy44 just got kicked out of that group because everyone, as they should, piled on that Steve guy for that awful fake rumor about Harper willing to take a 1-2 year deal from the Cubs, and Peavy got VERY offended that no one believed his bestie Steve, and started cussing and yelling at everyone. He even posted a photo that the Steve guy supposedly took with Harper....on a public street, to PROVE that they are friends and he has inside knowledge. 

Wait was Peavy that Tony dude? He’s a moron. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cjgalloway said:

I'm reading his clarification of the tweet that he actually thinks someone else is up front that isn't one of those two.

Yea the quote didn't really need clarification if anyone who listened to the segment he did on MLB Network actually listened to what he said.

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/bryce-harper-manny-machado-reportedly-dont-like-idea-playing-philadelphia-024356728.html

Phillies out, but Dodgers/Yankees still in driver’s seat?

“But the other choice, particularly for Harper, is fascinating,” Sherman writes. Because even if the Dodgers refuse to offer the mega-deal, landing there for four-ish years is what is best for Harper and — not that this should matter to the slugger — the game. “

This suggestion would not have seemed like a realistic possibility a couple years ago. Given how the free agent landscape has changed the last two winters though, perhaps anything really is possible here.

The biggest question coming into this winter was how high would the offers to Bryce Harper and Manny Machado be. Now it might actually come down to just how much money one or both are willing to give up in order to reach a preferred destination.

I'd be shocked , I tell ya , shocked at any one of Harper and Machado leaving money on the table. Health is not guaranteed but a $350M contract is .Agents and the players union both highly recommend taking the most money because of that very reason.

There's one reason we are hearing about them leaving money on the table and that is because the east coast based writers and media outlets still cannot wrap their heads around that the mega teams are not likely to offer the most money. The more these writers and networks talk about NY , L.A. and the Cubs the more clicks and the higher the ratings.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'd be shocked , I tell ya , shocked at any one of Harper and Machado leaving money on the table. Health is not guaranteed but a $350M contract is .Agents and the players union both highly recommend taking the most money because of that very reason.

There's one reason we are hearing about them leaving money on the table and that is because the east coast based writers and media outlets still cannot wrap their heads around that the mega teams are not likely to offer the most money. The more these writers and networks talk about NY , L.A. and the Cubs the more clicks and the higher the ratings.

I agree, the idea Harper would leave money on the table to play for the Dodgers seems like insanity to me.  He can probably lock in close to $350M this offseason and then return to free agency at age 30 & potentially have an opportunity to play for his beloved Dodgers, Yankees, or Cubs.  With his injury history and ego, he’s going to take the money / record breaking contract and re-evaluate in a few years.

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They might leave insignificant money on the table, but there is no way Boras is going to let Harper sign for something that is not a record if a record is available. This is his shot. 

And Adam Jones said Machado will go wherever he makes the most money. 

Edited by Dick Allen

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I agree, the idea Harper would leave money on the table to play for the Dodgers seems like insanity to me.  He can probably lock in close to $350M this offseason and then return to free agency at age 30 & potentially have an opportunity to play for his beloved Dodgers, Yankees, or Cubs.  With his injury history and ego, he’s going to take the money / record breaking contract and re-evaluate in a few years.

Right or even at age 29 with a 3 year opt out.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They might leave insignificant money on the table, but there is no way Boras is going to let Harper sign for something that is not a record if a record is available. This is his shot. 

Right insignificant money like $10-20M . Damn that sucks that that much money can be insignificant to some people.

33 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Just remember what part of the dance we're in. Right now there's no pressure for Harper to decide ASAP, teams have placed offers, and now we're in a staring contest. If a team loses their cool and blinks, they might just throw another $20 million onto their offer and do so without any guarantee that it will be enough to make Harper say "yes". Anything that can make a team worry or panic right now could add tens of millions to Harper's deal, and Harper's agent knows that. Harper's agent, one Scott Boras, also has a very solid knowledge of media and marketing dynamics and he's demonstrated in the past he will use that to benefit his client. Every single time that there's a rumor Harper might take less money or that he wants to play with a certain team, it raises the pressure on the teams that have strong offers in to boost their offer, even if it is a rumor of him taking less money - "He doesn't want to play for you so you better make it really worth it for him to come there". Every time there's a rumor out there it benefits Harper's agent and his side...and we're wondering where these leaks come from?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Just remember what part of the dance we're in. Right now there's no pressure for Harper to decide ASAP, teams have placed offers, and now we're in a staring contest. If a team loses their cool and blinks, they might just throw another $20 million onto their offer and do so without any guarantee that it will be enough to make Harper say "yes". Anything that can make a team worry or panic right now could add tens of millions to Harper's deal, and Harper's agent knows that. Harper's agent, one Scott Boras, also has a very solid knowledge of media and marketing dynamics and he's demonstrated in the past he will use that to benefit his client. Every single time that there's a rumor Harper might take less money or that he wants to play with a certain team, it raises the pressure on the teams that have strong offers in to boost their offer, even if it is a rumor of him taking less money - "He doesn't want to play for you so you better make it really worth it for him to come there". Every time there's a rumor out there it benefits Harper's agent and his side...and we're wondering where these leaks come from?

Quality post. I have often wondered why it isn't illegal or at least against some kind of baseball rule to actually bid against yourself. It's hard to phrase this right. If there is a highest bid why can an agent manipulate the media that creates panic in an otherwise also smart and media savvy MLB front office to up an existing offer. Is it against the law for an agent to just come out and tell the bidding team that they do not have the highest bid when they actually do ? Is it collusion if Hahn calls the Phillies GM and says look the highest we are going is  X and if you can beat that he is yours unless he likes us a lot more than you.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm beginning to think they're likely going to land one of the big 2. 

The issue is that the big 2 are holding them hostage. 

At this point, I'm about to give up on Harper and hope for Machado. While we are waiting though I would still like to see them address the SP and bullpen.

9 minutes ago, Saufley said:

At this point, I'm about to give up on Harper and hope for Machado. While we are waiting though I would still like to see them address the SP and bullpen.

I agree with addressing the bullpen and  rotation. I actually think they're more likely to get Harper because if there is any truth to the rumor that they don't want to play for Philly then where is Harper going to go? It seems the Dodgers don't want him and the Cubs would have to move Heyward to go after him(lmfao) and the Yankees have too many outfielders making too much money. 

If not Philly, LA, the Yankees or the Cubs, then who? By process of elimination that only leaves the Sox. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Source?

I'm not saying you're wrong or making things up, I'm just curious about a link to the quote. 

• Heads22 changed the title to Harper Latest: Smoke around the Phightin Phils