Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

Bleacher Report has Wheeler (eventually) signing with White Sox and Dodgers in on Cole, Strasburg and Rendon, but at “their” comfortable prices.

Who knows, maybe not having one huge mega thread like last year w/ Machado will work out...

Of course, there were also two separate occasions ESPN stories headlined Machado to the White Sox was believed to be imminent and everyone got excited (at least temporarily.)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2863412-zack-wheeler-could-be-the-perfect-gerrit-cole-replacement-for-the-astros

Argues for the Astros going after Wheeler despite being $30+ million into luxury tax land.

BB Abbott, Andrew Lowenthal and others from Jet Sports are his agents, in case it wasn’t posted in this new thread.

Edited by caulfield12

16 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

One thing we've (likely)' learned so far: guy who said this would be done by Thanksgiving = full of shit.

One thing that needs to be learned from White Sox leaking, and from the Machado experience. The White Sox have no idea one of these big guys is close to signed until they take a physical an/or have totally signed off on the deal. 

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

One thing that needs to be learned from White Sox leaking, and from the Machado experience. The White Sox have no idea one of these big guys is close to signed until they take a physical an/or have totally signed off on the deal. 

Well said. Someone can tell us what they have heard but that info is only as good as what the FO thinks. There is obviously a disconnect between what is actually happening and what the Sox are thinking. 

13 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I'm admittedly grasping at straws but didn't Tony say yesterday something would happen in the next 72 hours, not that it would be done yesterday or today.

Pretty sure he just heard that there's movement... I don't remember All-Knowing Tony giving us a timeline.

7 hours ago, Orlando said:

the guy that called the Burr DFA and claimed Wheeler was signed to the Sox is officially not legit

We had the Burr news on Monday morning at FutureSox. You just can’t always report everything you hear. I’m pretty sure Lombardo got it once Burr wiped the Sox affiliation on his social media. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

We had the Burr news on Monday morning at FutureSox. You just can’t always report everything you hear. I’m pretty sure Lombardo got it once Burr wiped the Sox affiliation on his social media. 

Curious - why would the Sox DFA a guy like Burr when they didn't need to?  Can do that at any point in the offseason. Furthermore, why are they waiting several days to announce it?  This isn't typical IMO.

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Curious - why would the Sox DFA a guy like Burr when they didn't need to?  Can do that at any point in the offseason. Furthermore, why are they waiting several days to announce it?  This isn't typical IMO.

It’s a great question. I assumed a move was imminent. Apparently that’s not the case. They’re obviously trying to slide Burr through waivers and off the 40 man for whatever reason. He won’t pitch until late 2020. The timing is definitely curious 

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It’s a great question. I assumed a move was imminent. Apparently that’s not the case. They’re obviously trying to slide Burr through waivers and off the 40 man for whatever reason. He won’t pitch until late 2020. The timing is definitely curious 

Ya, I mean I guess now is as good as anytime to slide him through waivers, but almost feel like right after the rule 5 would be better.  Just curious as you mentioned. 

Do you know for sure that Burr has actually formally been DFA'd and we should soon be getting the news on whether or not he cleared within a day, or if its possible this is more of a "White Sox plan to DFA Ryan Burr when the roster spot is needed" situation?  To be clear, I am not insinuating at all that I think FS got bad info - I fully expect him to get DFA as this point - I just feel like we'd at least have a mention or two from national media guys / posted to MLBTR, etc if the transaction had formally occurred.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Ya, I mean I guess now is as good as anytime to slide him through waivers, but almost feel like right after the rule 5 would be better.  Just curious as you mentioned. 

Do you know for sure that Burr has actually formally been DFA'd and we should soon be getting the news on whether or not he cleared within a day, or if its possible this is more of a "White Sox plan to DFA Ryan Burr when the roster spot is needed" situation?  To be clear, I am not insinuating at all that I think FS got bad info - I fully expect him to get DFA as this point - I just feel like we'd at least have a mention or two from national media guys / posted to MLBTR, etc if the transaction had formally occurred.  

It’s definitely possible that the actual transaction hasn’t taken place. If that makes sense . 

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer