2021: $5M

2022: $10M

2023: $14M

2024: $18M

2025: $20M

2026: $22M

2027 team option: $24M ($4M buyout)

2028 team option: $26M ($4M buyout)

That is 7/$99M guaranteed, with the chance to take it to 9/$145M if the options are picked up.  Extends three FA years, plus 2 more options years.  

Seems a little more like something that could give the Sox a little more incentive to get this done.  The proposed deal by the MLBburner just doesn't seem like a move that creates a ton of value for the Sox, beyond simply just ensuring you have Moncada on the roster. 

That is way too team friendly IMO.  Look at what Bregman signed for last season (6/$100M) and he only gave up two free agent years.  Moncada should at least get something similar if a six year deal and substantially more if it effectively buys three or more free agent years.  Honestly, any season of control after 2023 should come in at ~$30M / per.  A 9/$190M deal would be fantastic for us at it would only take him through his age 32 season.  You’d be getting almost all his prime years for what young stars get paid into their late 30’s.

Just now, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

You can kiss him goodbye after 2023 then. Moncada is going to be a star, the time to lock him up long term is now. The longer they wait, the more expensive he will be.

I think you need a couple numbers closer to 30 if you catch my drift. 

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sure, but you're paying him $650k in 2020.  He'll get a raise to $4-5M or so in 2021.  He is going to have to be one of hte best 10-15 players in baseball (and to be clear, he has the talent to be and already probably was in 2019) for the Sox to not be paying him MORE via this proposed extension in 22-23 than he would make via the arb process.  

The sox have traditionally done these extensions to create value.  The proposed deal doesn't create a ton of value for the club unless Moncada is a straight superstar - but it also comes from a guy (MLBburner) with questionable validity, so I'll wait to see the actual terms before putting much more thought into it.

Definitely hope they can get it done!   

Why are you ignoring the free agent years we’d be buying out though?  That’s where the value lies in an extension.

34 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

And a few posters here will be served delicious crow if he is indeed right (he was the first to break the news).

Not only would people need to eat crow for that, but there were also a vocal few IIRC who thought we were crazy for believing that the timing of Moncada's agency switch meant anything. 

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why are you ignoring the free agent years we’d be buying out though?  That’s where the value lies in an extension.

Im not ignoring anything. I’m just not sure I’m prepared to call a 7/$140M deal a no brainer on guy with one good season with a historically high BABIP. I do think Moncada is going to be a Star in this league for a long time, but I’m not quite ready to pay him like a star. I already said id be cool with the proposed dollars in the extension, but thought it seemed a bit high all things considered.

I have no idea at all what the parameters of this deal would even be.  I'd assume Moncada wants to be getting a new deal when he's 28-30.  So I'd think the best Chicago could do would be a 6 year extension or so.  That would extend his control out two more years no?  If it happens hell yea but this deal is going to be much harder to negotiate than the Robert, Eloy and previous extensions.

Jerry also did not forget how to conduct business overnight. 

Jerry is one of the leagues most powerful owners. He's pretty in tune with CBA negotiations and it's likely the arb process is going to change. 

Not only do these all look like, at the least, solid deals under the current CBA; they look even better if the CBA changes.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I have no idea at all what the parameters of this deal would even be.  I'd assume Moncada wants to be getting a new deal when he's 28-30.  So I'd think the best Chicago could do would be a 6 year extension or so.  That would extend his control out two more years no?  If it happens hell yea but this deal is going to be much harder to negotiate than the Robert, Eloy and previous extensions.

It seems like these guys really like each other and he, very obviously, enjoyed that they extended Abreu and said so... and said he wanted to show/have same loyalty.

At some point, the culture being built deserves at least a very tiny bit of credit here.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you assume he agrees to a six year extension, here is how long our positional core would be controlled for:

• Abreu = 2022
  • Grandal = 2023
  • Anderson = 2024
  • Moncada = 2025
  • Jimenez = 2026
  • Madrigal = 2026
  • Robert = 2027
  • Vaughn = 2027

That would be absolute insanity.

This is exactly how you would avoid the Cubs fiasco they have going on right now with their core. 

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

If this gets done, I think it proves that Jerry is not hoarding his own money for his personal gain. 

Jerry has always been willing to take care of his own guys. I've always said that, to the disagreement of many. He is less willing to give huge commitments to FAs. Also, I think he just trusts Rick Hahn in this area. He's proven his savvy and it is an incredibly underrated skill for a GM.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you assume he agrees to a six year extension, here is how long our positional core would be controlled for:

• Abreu = 2022
  • Grandal = 2023
  • Anderson = 2024
  • Moncada = 2025
  • Jimenez = 2026
  • Madrigal = 2026
  • Robert = 2027
  • Vaughn = 2027

That would be absolute insanity.

This also allows them to go more high school centric in the draft; if the reports of that being an avenue of focus for them are true. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Jerry has always been willing to take care of his own guys. I've always said that, to the disagreement of many. He is less willing to give huge commitments to FAs. Also, I think he just trusts Rick Hahn in this area. He's proven his savvy and it is an incredibly underrated skill for a GM.

Amen!

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It seems like these guys really like each other and he, very obviously, enjoyed that they extended Abreu and said so... and said he wanted to show/have same loyalty.

At some point, the culture being built deserves at least a very tiny bit of credit here.

Only means anything if they accomplish great things on the field but I agree.  The video with Jose and Eloy certainly touched on the leadership and culture emerging in the clubhouse.

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

To an extent. When you look at the biggest contacts the White Sox have ever given out, it's pretty embarrassing. 

• Like 2