7/26 GT - Twins at Sox - 1:10pm

17 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If I remember 2018 correctly many saw 2018 as flukish for Rey because his FIP or xFIP wasn't great and 2019 proved many of the his doubters right. That's why so many overlook his many really good starts.

I just did a search of AL pitchers that threw more than 20 starts last year and of all the AL pitchers Reylo was the 5th youngest (Gio is younger, Cease is younger but didn't qualify...man our future is so bright).  Of all the 20 start pitchers, in his terrible year, Reylo had the 43 highest WAR.  There are LOTS of terrible fourth and fifth starters....there were more than 80 starters in the AL with at least a dozen starts that had a negative WAR.  Reylo is not one of them.  At his worst he's one of the best bad pitchers out there...and young with a upside.  OK I'm done...he's getting shelled today but there's reason for hope.  

• Haha 1

Moncada should be the DH but I don’t really care about the day off. I’m more upset that Abreu is starting over Collins against a guy who destroys RHH but is susceptible to walks against LHH

Edited by Jose Abreu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Moncada should be the DH but I don’t really care about the day off. I’m more upset that Abreu is starting over Collins again a guy who destroys RHH but is susceptible to walks against LHP

Great point.  Part of the reason I think Collins can play a decent role on this team going forward is because Jose simply isn’t that good against RHP anymore.  A guy like Maeda will likely give him problems and as such it would been a perfect time to get another left-handed bat into the lineup by playing Collins (especially if he wants to give Yoan a day off).  Alas, Ricky is going to trot Jose out there in the three hole each & every day.

• Haha 1

Giolito got blown up early and put us in a 5-0 hole, albeit with some questionable defensive play.  Minnesota is going to mash a lot of pitchers who primarily rely on fastballs, especially when they are as straight as arrows.  If Reylo's fastballs have no movement and are in the zone, he will probably have the same results that Giolito did.   Then there is the question of Reylo's slider. Can he change speed on it and get a few K's with it?

I'm not too concerned about Reylo or any other starter given the depth of our pen. Just  take him out early if things start getting out of hand. Plus, the heat and humidity are going to be brutal so i would not expect any pitcher to last very long today.

19 minutes ago, tray said:

Giolito got blown up early and put us in a 5-0 hole, albeit with some questionable defensive play.  Minnesota is going to mash a lot of pitchers who primarily rely on fastballs, especially when they are as straight as arrows.  If Reylo's fastballs have no movement and are in the zone, he will probably have the same results that Giolito did.   Then there is the question of Reylo's slider. Can he change speed on it and get a few K's with it?

I'm not too concerned about Reylo or any other starter given the depth of our pen. Just  take him out early if things start getting out of hand. Plus, the heat and humidity are going to be brutal so i would not expect any pitcher to last very long today.

Giolito actually has a ton of movement on his fastball. So does Lopez. That's why they struggle with fastball command from time to time. Hard to spot it when you don't know where it's going. Tons of fastball movement is both a blessing and a curse. Most of their misses are in-out instead of up-down. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Great point.  Part of the reason I think Collins can play a decent role on this team going forward is because Jose simply isn’t that good against RHP anymore.  A guy like Maeda will likely give him problems and as such it would been a perfect time to get another left-handed bat into the lineup by playing Collins (especially if he wants to give Yoan a day off).  Alas, Ricky is going to trot Jose out there in the three hole each & every day.

Eventually I do think the whitesox front office and the analytics department both are going to clash with Ricky's lineups. Hasn't ever been an issue before this because 1- we've been so bad and 2- haven't really been all in on the analytics. But now that we're competing, how patient will the Sox be with Ricky's lineups not to mention his undying loyalty  (or is it fear) to move Jose from the 3 spot? I wonder if Jose is willing to bat somewhere else in the lineup?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They are two very different pitchers.  I don't think Lopez is capable of making the massive changes like Giolito did to become the pitcher he is today.

Nobody's asking him to be the best pitcher in baseball. I've never understood the Reylo hate. If dude is your 5th, you have a damn good rotation. 

• Like 1

Anyone know if this game will be viewable on mlb.tv? 

I think I recall in years past that Sunday afternoon games were always blacked out because FOX had contractual rights to all afternoon Sunday games.

Edit: Looks like I can already access the feed so it’s not blacked out. w00t!

Edited by hi8is

2 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

So I was looking at it.  Are we too hard on Lopez?  He had 33 starts last year and 10 were terrible...as I mentioned earlier a 14 ERA in those starts.  In his other 23 starts he had a 3.3 ERA and 3 to 1 walks to strikeouts.  So 2/3 of the time he was a very good pitcher and 1/3 of the time he was the worst pitcher in the history of baseball.  If he is the good Lopez he is way better than Maeda ever was.  

Being horrendous 1/3 of the time you step on the mount is unacceptable. So, no, we are not too hard on him. That is pitiful. This is actually an indictment against him. 

27 minutes ago, tray said:

Collins should be sent to Schaumburg when Mazara is ready.

At least I finally know who the person laughing at all my positive Collins posts is.  Regardless, not sure what Mazara has to do with Collins.  Would you actually rather Delmonico as a lefty off the bench than Collins?

And let the record show that Abreu & Collins both put up 99 wRC+ against RHP last year.  The difference is that when Collins came back up after making some adjustments in AAA he put up a 130 wRC+ against RHP.  Small sample size no doubt (60 PAs), but I like what I saw from him and believe there is a role for him spelling Grandal, Jose, & Vaughn going forward.

• Like 2

I know I'm in the minority but I like that they went with Lopez today. He might get hit around, but he at least (typically) throws strikes and attacks hitters. With Cease, I'd be afraid that he misses the zone, gets behind in counts, and then gets taken deep by all the power bats. Neither are ideal but I just don't think Cease matches up well against a team that works counts like this

• Like 1