Official: McCann is a Met, $40/4 years

Buehrle>Wood

Actually Keuchel said the same thing about McCann , and McCann was one of the main proponents to get Keuchel signed by the White Sox.

"When Dallas Keuchel threw an 85 mph sinker into the glove of James McCann on July 25, it was the first time they had recorded an official pitch and catch to one another in more than 11 years. The last time they had played in a game that mattered, it was one of the most memorable nights in University of Arkansas baseball history. Keuchel, the Razorbacks' No. 1 starter, came out of the bullpen to pitch four scoreless innings as Arkansas rallied to defeat Virginia 4-3 in 12 innings at the 2009 College World Series.

In Keuchel's debut for the White Sox, he threw 5 1/3 scoreless innings. The two runs charged to him came after he was taken out of the game with runners on base. He earned the win in Chicago's 10-3 victory over the Minnesota Twins. He allowed two runs in 5 1/3 innings in another win Friday against the Kansas City Royals.

McCann hit a home run during the game against the Twins. He has homered twice in 17 plate appearances entering Tuesday's game, and he was hitting .333.

"James is still the same old guy," Keuchel said after last week's win over the Twins. "Sometimes he'll lull you to sleep with kind of the lack of emotion, but he's kind of like me where the deep down emotion is what carries him to be a great player."

McCann was an advocate for the White Sox signing Keuchel during the offseason, which they did for three years and $55.5 million.

"I spoke highly of him," McCann said of his conversations with Chicago's coaches and front office. "Obviously his career accolades don't need me to speak highly of him. I was excited when we signed him.

"Just getting back on the field with him in the spring and being able to catch him in games, it's a lot of fun. I have memories that go back 10-plus years, so just getting to talk about stuff like that, but also to talk through our big-league careers together about what he's learned and what I've learned ... it's been pretty special."

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2020/aug/05/mccann-keuchel-reliving-ua-days/

Keuchel was part of the Astros cheating scandal so I have to admit that  he is not someone I look at with the same respect that I did  for Mark Buehrle.

Frankly, if the Sox could package him up with a prospect or two and trade him for a young stud starter (like Zach Plesac) I wouldn't mind it.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, tray said:

Actually Keuchel said the same thing about McCann , and McCann was one of the main proponents to get Keuchel signed by the White Sox.

"When Dallas Keuchel threw an 85 mph sinker into the glove of James McCann on July 25, it was the first time they had recorded an official pitch and catch to one another in more than 11 years. The last time they had played in a game that mattered, it was one of the most memorable nights in University of Arkansas baseball history. Keuchel, the Razorbacks' No. 1 starter, came out of the bullpen to pitch four scoreless innings as Arkansas rallied to defeat Virginia 4-3 in 12 innings at the 2009 College World Series.

In Keuchel's debut for the White Sox, he threw 5 1/3 scoreless innings. The two runs charged to him came after he was taken out of the game with runners on base. He earned the win in Chicago's 10-3 victory over the Minnesota Twins. He allowed two runs in 5 1/3 innings in another win Friday against the Kansas City Royals.

McCann hit a home run during the game against the Twins. He has homered twice in 17 plate appearances entering Tuesday's game, and he was hitting .333.

"James is still the same old guy," Keuchel said after last week's win over the Twins. "Sometimes he'll lull you to sleep with kind of the lack of emotion, but he's kind of like me where the deep down emotion is what carries him to be a great player."

McCann was an advocate for the White Sox signing Keuchel during the offseason, which they did for three years and $55.5 million.

"I spoke highly of him," McCann said of his conversations with Chicago's coaches and front office. "Obviously his career accolades don't need me to speak highly of him. I was excited when we signed him.

"Just getting back on the field with him in the spring and being able to catch him in games, it's a lot of fun. I have memories that go back 10-plus years, so just getting to talk about stuff like that, but also to talk through our big-league careers together about what he's learned and what I've learned ... it's been pretty special."

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2020/aug/05/mccann-keuchel-reliving-ua-days/

Keuchel was part of the Astros cheating scandal so I have to admit that  he is not someone I look at with the same respect that I did  for Mark Buehrle.

Frankly, if the Sox could package him up with a prospect or two and trade him for a young stud starter (like Zach Plesac) I wouldn't mind it.

They signed him as a FA after he played with the Astros.  They obviously got over it.  Maybe you should too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tray said:

Plesac risked his teammates' lives, including Carrasco, who is immunocompromised.

Please pick someone different.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm not sure what the Mets are doing. I'd much rather give JT Realmuto 5/100 than James McCann something like 4/40. McCann is going to be a huge disappointment playing full time. 

LOL like you know anything at all about how McCann is going to fare in a greater number of ABs.  What happens when he is still a solid-average or better offensive player?

Obviously Realmuto is better.  The Mets are probably still in the picture but they don't want to bid against themselves.  Agents misread markets all of the time.  If Realmuto is still sitting around in mid-January it shouldn't be a huge surprise anymore.

Plesac is a lower ceiling overachiever type.  I brought up the RA Dickey trade for D-Arnaud and Syndergaard before when the topic was discussed.  Plesac deals are the kinds of deals this team should try to avoid.  We would be likely to give up at least 1 if not 2 players close to MLB ready or who are already MLB ready with higher ceilings than the player we are acquiring.  It would be hard to see any Plesac deal happen where the Sox could look at it on paper and say "Yeah we're getting the best player in the deal here."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

They signed him as a FA after he played with the Astros.  They obviously got over it.  Maybe you should too. 

Yes he was signed as a FA..so what?

As far as me personally "getting over it" I am assuming you mean that the Astro's cheating (and Keuchel's participation in it) should be forgotten.

I will not forget it and I certainly won't forgive Keuchel after hearing him try to downplay it so many times. 

As far as Plesac, I was just giving an example of a young pitcher I would trade in a heartbeat for Keuchel.   Yes, Zach partied with friends in Chicago when the Indians were in town, but I would get over that whereas I can't get over what Keuchel and the Asrros did that easily. 

14 hours ago, Orlando said:

Everyone keeps saying the pitchers love McCann. That’s cool and all but I want to point out that Keuchel literally said that one of the reasons he signed here was to pitch to Grandal. 

Grandal is tailor-made for a pitcher like Keuchel.  Everything Dallas throws is slow and he tries to keep it down.  He needs to work outside of the Kzone.  He wants a C who can buy him strikes off of the plate to get hitters to make contact outside of the zone.  He only throws 3 pitches and really it often seems just like one pitch he's playing around with.  He needs no extra coaching on the mound, has no late-breaking, hard-moving anything, no high velocity FB, needs no help with pitch selection, and can probably handle just about everything his self.  Keuchel is probably one of the easiest SPs in all of baseball for a C to catch.  All he needs is a good target who can buy him some strikes so he doesn't have to keep all of his slow stuff in the middle of the plate.  

None of this stuff describes the rest of the Sox current or projected future rotation.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tray said:

I doubt Mark Buehrle would have cheated like Keuchel did.  That was a pretty outrageous cheating scheme that others paid a price for while Keuchel walked away from it unscathed.

Agree but Keuchel is still a P.  This stuff is on  the ownership first, lesser front office second, manager third, coaching staff fourth, hitters fifth, pitchers sixth IMO.  He's the least guilty of them all, even though he's guilty.

1 hour ago, tray said:

Yes he was signed as a FA..so what?

As far as me personally "getting over it" I am assuming you mean that the Astro's cheating (and Keuchel's participation in it) should be forgotten.

I will not forget it and I certainly won't forgive Keuchel after hearing him try to downplay it so many times. 

As far as Plesac, I was just giving an example of a young pitcher I would trade in a heartbeat for Keuchel.   Yes, Zach partied with friends in Chicago when the Indians were in town, but I would get over that whereas I can't get over what Keuchel and the Asrros did that easily. 

Way to undersell what Plesac did.

His actions put the health and lives of his teammates at risk. 

Wonder if this deal getting close prompted the Sox to act with some urgency yesterday? 

Not saying it should have, and I think most people that are crazy enough to be active here on soxtalk knew keeping McCann wasn't in the cards, but if you read facebook comments, the average fan definitely was hoping to keep him.  

3 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Wonder if this deal getting close prompted the Sox to act with some urgency yesterday? 

Not saying it should have, and I think most people that are crazy enough to be active here on soxtalk knew keeping McCann wasn't in the cards, but if you read facebook comments, the average fan definitely was hoping to keep him.  

Nope. The Sox knew they weren't re-signing McCann and most fans knew that too. They acted with urgency for Lynn before they could get Padre'd. They probably knew they wanted Eaton all along and signed him early so that they can determine their financial situation quicker. It was also said that 6 other teams had contacted Eaton. 

• Haha 1

I'm happy for James too, he's earned a payday for sure! He's the kind of team mates that everyone likes to have. But, if I have the opportunity to set my family up for generations with this next contract, I'm not giving a discount because "I like it here". I do hope we sign a legitimate back up C though. I'm okay keeping Collins as the 3rd catcher and actually using him more as the primary back up early, but we need that legitimate major league option in case Collins still can't hit the ball or field it. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Wonder where Realmuto goes now. Phillies are acting totally broke, Yankees supposedly on a budget too. 

I think it was Joel Sherman last week that said this might happen and threw Seattle out as an option to land Realmuto. Seems kind of off the wall to me but could be another one of those "sign Robbie Cano"-kickstart the program moves.