Addressing the OF shortage (Robert Injury Spinoff)

Texsox

1 minute ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I get that Sheets hits. But I thought the idea was to get away from first baseman and DHs in the outfield? I mean, hell. If we’re going down that road just stick Mercedes out there and call it a day.

Sheets actually isn’t bad out there.  He’s a big guy, but he’s in really good shape, and moves well.  In a world where the opposition is striking out a quarter of the time or more, sacrificing offense for defense is questionable.  But, if you want defense, Luis Gonzalez is better in right than anyone currently on the roster except probably Hamilton.  Anyway, both of them are better than Lamb.

Well the scales might be balanced at this point, but you put 2 first basemen in the corners and I think the thing  eventually collapses. And again you should just stick Mercedes out there if you are implementing this line of strategy. Sure, Gonzales, go for it. Wouldn’t mind Rutherford either. Its never gonna be ideal, but…. Yeah, if imperfect plugs are being used, at least let’s get a real outfielder imo.

6 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Well the scales might be balanced at this point, but you put 2 first basemen in the corners and I think the thing  eventually collapses. And again you should just stick Mercedes out there if you are implementing this line of strategy. Sure, Gonzales, go for it. Wouldn’t mind Rutherford either. Its never gonna be ideal, but…. Yeah, if imperfect plugs are being used, at least let’s get a real outfielder imo.

Sheets has slimmed down and has worked very hard to add the ability to play the OF to his "resume". His father spent a lot of time in the off season working with him to become an outfielder. I have no first hand knowledge of how well he is fielding his position, but they are using him in RF in Charlotte. Comparing Sheets to Mercedes as a RF option is not justified. If Yermin lost some weight and spent a considerable amount of time learning to play the outfield, perhaps that would be a plausible strategy, but not under current circumstances.

Edited by Lillian

Admittedly, Sheets is a big unknown, but that outfield has little offensive thunder and leaves the lower 3RD of the order pretty unproductive. If the kid can play RF, it might be worth taking a shot. The current production isn't a very high bar to exceed. This organization has a history of rewarding good Minor League performance with Major League opportunities. Given how hard Sheets has worked, to prepare and how well he is hitting, he should be given a chance, if he can continue to produce at AAA. Perhaps when Engel comes back. Engel in CF, with Sheets in RF might provide enough defense, as well as more time for Sheets to demonstrate a measure of sustainability to his torrid start.

Edited by Lillian

38 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Admittedly, Sheets is a big unknown, but that outfield has little offensive thunder and leaves the lower 3RD of the order pretty unproductive. If the kid can play RF, it might be worth taking a shot. The current production isn't a very high bar to exceed. This organization has a history of rewarding good Minor League performance with Major League opportunities. Given how hard Sheets has worked, to prepare and how well he is hitting, he should be given a chance, if he can continue to produce at AAA. Perhaps when Engel comes back. Engel in CF, with Sheets in RF might provide enough defense, as well as more time for Sheets to demonstrate a measure of sustainability to his torrid start.

I wouldn't expect Sheets to start out with more than a 600-650 OPS in RF.

Which leaves him basically a little bit below Eaton, and probably a notch lower defensively.

Not to mention the salary investment in Adam this year.

That said, Engel is going to be under pressure to hit as well as play defense, since we're missing those two pivotal cogs in our offense.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

^ we don’t need him, we’re the best team in baseball ball /g

We may need a CF though for 3 months... Engel is apparently dead and Leury is leury and Hamilton is nothing more than an 8th inning defensive replacement (I don't mind him taking up a roster spot for that)

7 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

We may need a CF though for 3 months... Engel is apparently dead and Leury is leury and Hamilton is nothing more than an 8th inning defensive replacement (I don't mind him taking up a roster spot for that)

Engel should be back soon, La Russa said he's basically at 100% now.

1 hour ago, KrankinSox said:

Heyman pretty much saying nothing here but thought I'd share.

I think it's something.

If teams that need OF help are seeking Joey Gallo, there's movement for a trade. IMO it's very obvious that the rangers SHOULD look to trade Gallo. 

And when Heyman says 'teams' he could pretty much mean the Chicago White Sox. lol.

I've been calling for Gallo since last year, he's the perfect fit on this ball club as he plays great defense and can hit power against our nemesis right handed batters.

The price is the tricky part. All in all, he really shouldn't cost TOO much, i mean, he's only got 2 years left, he has a terrible average, is off to a bad start. 

I'd be absolutely thrilled if they went out and got Gallo, albeit, a year too late. 

Mailbag from Jim Bowden with a question about the Sox OF targets:

https://theathletic.com/2603030/2021/05/21/max-scherzer-scenarios-outfield-targets-for-white-sox-yankees-cf-options-jim-bowden-weighs-your-trade-proposals/

I think Haniger is the most realistic trade target because the return prospect package would be the least of the four players you listed, and for the Mariners, it would open right field for uber prospect Julio Rodríguez, who should be ready for promotion by the trade deadline. The Marlins and Cubs hope to be in the wild-card race at the deadline, so they might decide to keep Marte and Bryant, respectively. The Cubs’ asking price on Bryant has been exorbitant. They’ll have to significantly lower it if they want to trade him. Gallo is an interesting trade target for the White Sox because his big left-handed power bat would really balance out their lineup if Adam Eaton doesn’t turn things around.

Gallo/Haniger pls

16 minutes ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

Mailbag from Jim Bowden with a question about the Sox OF targets:

https://theathletic.com/2603030/2021/05/21/max-scherzer-scenarios-outfield-targets-for-white-sox-yankees-cf-options-jim-bowden-weighs-your-trade-proposals/

I think Haniger is the most realistic trade target because the return prospect package would be the least of the four players you listed, and for the Mariners, it would open right field for uber prospect Julio Rodríguez, who should be ready for promotion by the trade deadline. The Marlins and Cubs hope to be in the wild-card race at the deadline, so they might decide to keep Marte and Bryant, respectively. The Cubs’ asking price on Bryant has been exorbitant. They’ll have to significantly lower it if they want to trade him. Gallo is an interesting trade target for the White Sox because his big left-handed power bat would really balance out their lineup if Adam Eaton doesn’t turn things around.

Gallo/Haniger pls

Haniger would be nice, but I just wouldn't want to give up a ton for him. He's always hurt, and and even though he's mashed in 2021 the OBP is still poor.  Also not exactly sure he's the guy I want in RF in 2022.  Makes the right handed heavy lineup more right handed, and also just makes the corner OF/1B/DH situation even more cloudy.  

Would I take him?  For sure.  Would I give up and current mlb pieces or a top 5 prospect for him? No.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Haniger would be nice, but I just wouldn't want to give up a ton for him. He's always hurt, and and even though he's mashed in 2021 the OBP is still poor.  Also not exactly sure he's the guy I want in RF in 2022.  Makes the right handed heavy lineup more right handed, and also just makes the corner OF/1B/DH situation even more cloudy.  

Would I take him?  For sure.  Would I give up and current mlb pieces or a top 5 prospect for him? No.  

If he's not the guy they want beyond this season, they could always deal him in the off-season. Kinda use him as a rental while we have guys out. But I agree, I'd rather add a lefty and not for a high price.

29 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Oddly enough Gallo is struggling vs RHP this year. Haniger is doing well with both. He's arb eligible after this year, but I agree I wouldn't want to give up a ton for him either. 

Haniger:
RHP: .266/.324/.539/.863 OPS
LHP: .222/.256/.556/.812 OPS

Gallo:
RHP: .198/.343/.349/.692 OPS
LHP: .234/.372/.406/.778 OPS

Edit: As for the injuries, it looks like that foul ball to the nuts in 2019 led to more issues that bled into last year. He looks fully healed and it's showing.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/mariners-mitch-haniger-injury-update-rehab-justin-verlander/

Edited by YoYoIsMyHero

24 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I wouldn't give up anything for him.  He's injury prone, on the wrong side of 30 and at best he gives you maybe 1.5 more WAR rest of the season than whatever combo of Leury/Eaton/Engel/Vaughn/Mendick mans the corner spots the rest of the way.  That's at best.  There would be many middle case scenarios where it's closer to .5 WAR.

Of course the Mariners would be smart to sell him NOW, before he gets hurt and while he's at peak value contract wise -- which is probably why they won't.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I hope the Phillies crash & burn in June and for some reason Reinsdorf decides to nut up and agree to a Harper trade.  I know it will never happen and who knows what it would take, but my god would he be the perfect addition to this lineup.  Just print those World Series tickets.

No thank you.

Look, I love Bryce Harper and think he would be a lot fun to watch for a couple years. But I want no part in bailing out some team of their mega deal and be left holding the (very heavy) bag for 8 more years. Look at what's happened to the Angels' flexibility the last few years and where Pujols is now.

Just now, MiddleCoastBias said:

No thank you.

Look, I love Bryce Harper and think he would be a lot fun to watch for a couple years. But I want no part in bailing out some team of their mega deal and be left holding the (very heavy) bag for 8 more years. Look at what's happened to the Angels' flexibility the last few years and where Pujols is now.

That’s fair but five straight World Series sounds tempting

If I am being honest, unless we find out both Eloy and Robert are out for the season, I am OK with NOT spending resources on another OF unless it is someone who is going to be here for years.

Get me another lefty reliever so Crochet can do his thing and build innings, while this other guy can pick up the match ups in the 5/6/7 inning.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If I am being honest, unless we find out both Eloy and Robert are out for the season, I am OK with NOT spending resources on another OF unless it is someone who is going to be here for years.

Get me another lefty reliever so Crochet can do his thing and build innings, while this other guy can pick up the match ups in the 5/6/7 inning.

Yeah, I think that's where I'm at as well. Only exception might be a LF corner OF who would be an upgrade over Eaton with the plan to not pick up Eaton's option. Then I'd consider it.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Isn't Fry expected back soon? He was projected to be back about this time, but I haven't heard anything about him starting a rehab assignment.

Edited by Lillian