GT 5/31 GM 1: SOX @ INDIANS

32 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

And.....Madrigal is back to 9, just keep moving the prototypical 2 hitter to the bottom, I guess...

As Tom Paciorek used to say, He's good!

Edited by zisk
spelling

57 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

And.....Madrigal is back to 9, just keep moving the prototypical 2 hitter to the bottom, I guess...

At least it's Lamb and not Eaton. Still refusing to bat Leury 9th where he belongs though. Don't know why it's hard to understand that you want your worst hitter batting the fewest times.

2 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

At least it's Lamb and not Eaton. Still refusing to bat Leury 9th where he belongs though. Don't know why it's hard to understand that you want your worst hitter batting the fewest times.

It's actual better to have a decent hitter 9 because it can set the top up.  The biggest thing in lineup construction is to avoid putting two really awful hitters back to back.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's actual better to have a decent hitter 9 because it can set the top up.  The biggest thing in lineup construction is to avoid putting two really awful hitters back to back.

Eaton, Leury, Collins.....So TLR failed 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I’ll project the Game 2 lineup:

• 2B Madrigal 
  • C Grandal
  • 3B Moncada
  • 1B Abreu
  • DH Mercedes
  • LF Vaughn
  • RF Garcia
  • SS Mendick
  • CF Hamilton

Can also see Tony considering resting Yoan or Nick, depending on how the first game goes.

It was weird to see TA play both games in the O's DH, but I think he gets game 2 off. Quantrill is going in game 2 for Cleveland.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Each spot in the order gets roughly 20 PA more than the next one over the course of the season. Balance isn't a valid excuse to give your worst hitter mire PA, especially when there's such a large gap.

4 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Each spot in the order gets roughly 20 PA more than the next one over the course of the season. Balance isn't a valid excuse to give your worst hitter mire PA, especially when there's such a large gap.

Who Jake Lamb, the guy rocking a 142 wRC+?  Come on, if there is ONE THING you cannot reasonable critique La Russa on this year it's his lineups.  He has pushed almost all the right buttons on who plays and where.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Who Jake Lamb, the guy rocking a 142 wRC+?  Come on, if there is ONE THING you cannot reasonable critique La Russa on this year it's his lineups.  He has pushed almost all the right buttons on who plays and where.

This isn't about Lamb, it's about Leury. He has a WRC+ of 63 and  giving him any more PA than is absolutely necessary is ridiculous.

How in the world do the Indians have the record they do?  The lineup is garbage after Ramirez & Reyes (who is out) and they only have three good starters (yes one is amazing).  Feels like they should be at least seven games behind us based on talent.  I mean, even without two stars, our offense is significantly better than theirs.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

So Rodon in game 1 and Lambert in game 2 is what the mlb.tv app says. 

maybe this was already known 

It would ve been Kopech in the 2nd game is not for the bereavement.  Cease pitches tomorrow so maybe Kopech is back to pitch 6/2 and Lynn won't have to be used on short rest.

22 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

This isn't about Lamb, it's about Leury. He has a WRC+ of 63 and  giving him any more PA than is absolutely necessary is ridiculous.

Hasn't Fangraphs or someone done a definitive lineup analysis or something so we can put these endless debates mostly to rest?

And I mean analysis of lineup construction in general. Not of the White Sox specifically.

Edited by KipWellsFan

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How in the world do the Indians have the record they do?  The lineup is garbage after Ramirez & Reyes (who is out) and they only have three good starters (yes one is amazing).  Feels like they should be at least seven games behind us based on talent.  I mean, even without two stars, our offense is significantly better than theirs.

Might be more that the Sox should be further ahead than where Cleveland should be based on talent and performance. 

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It would ve been Kopech in the 2nd game is not for the bereavement.  Cease pitches tomorrow so maybe Kopech is back to pitch 6/2 and Lynn won't have to be used on short rest.

Kopech is now on the 10 day so it wasn’t just the bereavement. 

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Plesac is on the IL . Civale and Hentges pitched yesterday. We are going to get Bieber for sure but the other guys will probably be McKenzie , Elijah Morgan and Quantrill.

Ah, was away in the boonies for the holiday weekend. Nice to be back and watch my Sox again. Awesome to see they swept lowly Baltimore and are 3 and a half up on Cleveland. These are important games here this week. Sox really could take off and separate themselves from the pack.

Edited by ScooterMcGee

4 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Might be more that the Sox should be further ahead than where Cleveland should be based on talent and performance. 

We should have 35 wins based on Pythagorean estimates, which is three more than we actually have.  The Indians should have 25 wins vs. the 28 they actually have.  I know baseball is not that simple, but based on run differential alone we should be up 9.5 games on the Indians.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think June 8 is the earliest Kopech can return now, 10 day IL retroactive to 5/28.