Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, the Twins aren't going to sign Conforto to the biggest contract in franchise history.  Where's he gonna play?  They already have 4 everyday quality OF in Buxton, Kiriloff, Larnch and Kepler. Plus Rooker.  One of those guys will need to DH, along with Sano frequently. That would be a real head scratcher with their moves so far. 

Sano is another huge key to that team...if he comes to camp in shape and ready to play, he can make a huge impact.  Can also be a DFA candidate, a lot like Ortiz when he was a Twin before moving on to the Red Sox.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Sano is another huge key to that team...if he comes to camp in shape and ready to play, he can make a huge impact.  Can also be a DFA candidate, a lot like Ortiz when he was a Twin before moving on to the Red Sox.

Sano is what he is at this point.  

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Voit doesn’t make the Padres better?  Castellanos doesn’t make the Phillies better?

The Padres will be fine if they get the starting pitching they did in 2020 and stay injury free.  The Giants are due to come back to the pack.  Voit's definitely due for a bounce back, good value move.  Not every transaction has to be a $100+ million move.

• Like 1

I really struggle with the notion you don’t sign Conforto because he blocks our young players.  Even if Colas puts himself on the radar this year, you can always open up a spot for him by trading someone.  And there is still a chance (even if small) that Abreu leaves or retires.  Worry about that once Oscar or someone presses the issue.  For now, let’s focus on improving the current roster like most of our competitors are concerned about.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I really struggle with the notion you don’t sign Conforto because he blocks our young players.  Even if Colas puts himself on the radar this year, you can always open up a spot for him by trading someone.  And there is still a chance (even if small) that Abreu leaves or retires.  Worry about that once Oscar or someone presses the issue.  For now, let’s focus on improving the current roster like most of our competitors are concerned about.

Same, it’s a good problem to have and you have no clue what Colas and Cespedes are going to be. All reports are Cespedes might not even be a big leaguer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Exactly. Don't worry about having potentially too many good players.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Knowing the White Sox, they'll convert him into a LH reliever anyway if Crochet gets hurt.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Remember when the Sox didn't pursue Harper because he was going to block Rutherford, Basabe, and/or Adolfo?  Good memories.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I can see why we signed Harrison now

Edit: this is over 2 years and not 1.

So basically same AAV commitment.  Who knows - maybe Miller didn't want to play here.  Those are the things that us fans never will really know but are definitely a part of negotiations and player decision making.  Easy to say WTF - why' they choose Harrison over Miller.  But if Miller wasn't interested in signing here - ya know - that's just part of the game. 

21 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I agreed with me being incorrect on 1 and modified it.

If all you are trying to do is say I was incorrect on that I agreed. 

All of what you said about Rodon last year is true. However he also didt pitch a complete year which hurt the Sox in the playoffs because he was worn out. I just wouldn't take the chance that he could complete a full year and be ready for the playoffs. He has never done it.

His replacement is not Keuchal, it's Kopech who is moving into the rotation.

Kimbrel is a not a risk as they will trade him. This is why his situation doesn't really matter. However that was not part of the Rodon discussion.

Even if they don't trade him, taking a chance on Rodon isn't something I would do given his history. It's fine if you disagree and think his issues are all I'm the past and he will finally pitch a full season.

Is that on Rodon, or the coaching staff? It's not like that was a secret going into the season. Additionally, with your background, you are one of the guys always talking about work loads, and increasing them in smaller increments. He pitched 135 IP last season (with the playoffs) in a "contract year" and was the best Rodon we've seen with the Sox. If he came back on a one year deal, he would still be pitching in a contract year, and who's to say he can't build off of that 135 and stretch it to 160 IP? He's hit the 160 IP mark before in his career. 

And yes, if Rodon would be brought back, he would be replacing Keuchel in the rotation. It would be Giolito-Lynn-Cease-Rodon-Kopech. Those would be your Top 5 starters. With Rodon not in the fold, Kopech gets bumped up, and Keuchel is currently back in the rotation. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

The Twins have ZERO use for Conforto. That is 100% a 'drive the price up' nugget.

Glass half full perspective: this is exactly what we said when SD came out on Freeman before the LAD signing, so maybe this is a sign that a Sox signing is imminent. 🤘

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Working against who though? His market has been almost nonexistent in the public forum. Sure as hell ain’t the Sox. Giants signed Pederson.

The Sox are definitely interested in Conforto, even if it hasn't been super publically stated.  

I am sure Conforto is still looking to beat the 5/$100M that the Mets apparently offered him last summer.  I am sure Sox are trying for something more like the Yaz 4/$73M.  Hopefully they don't overplay their hand. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Sox are definitely interested in Conforto, even if it hasn't been super publically stated.  

I am sure Conforto is still looking to beat the 5/$100M that the Mets apparently offered him last summer.  I am sure Sox are trying for something more like the Yaz 4/$73M.  Hopefully they don't overplay their hand. 

The Sox aren't even willing to go to 4 years per Pal so even the Grandal contract isn't happening. 

• Quin locked this topic