TLR 2022 Thread

chitownsportsfan

23 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Seems like a huge red flag for the guy who has talked about being here forever, to all of the sudden to be talking about leaving.  Then the whole team has looked like they don't want to be here.

I think everyone is actually comfortable. Too comfortable. Which is not to say that everyone should be fired and traded. It means there is a very relaxed atmosphere on the SS. And I don’t believe anyone has a reason to worry about their places in the lineup or on the team. That’s a breeding ground for complacency. TA being the most recent example 

Edited by Chick Mercedes

57 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I think everyone is actually comfortable. Too comfortable. Which is not to say that everyone should be fired and traded. It means there is a very relaxed atmosphere on the SS. And I don’t believe anyone has a reason to worry about their places in the lineup or on the team. That’s a breeding ground for complacency. TA being the most recent example 

LaRussa just lets them do whatever the hell they want. Especially TA and Abreu. 

1 hour ago, Chick Mercedes said:

They look like a team that is really tight to me.  Trying to make plays they shouldn't make.  Blowing plays they normally make.  Frustration and bad body language at the plate and in the field.  They are mentally toast right now.  I don't really miss the Ozzie Guillen era, but he was the best I have ever seen at taking attention away from players when things were going badly.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

They look like a team that is really tight to me.  Trying to make plays they shouldn't make.  Blowing plays they normally make.  Frustration and bad body language at the plate and in the field.  They are mentally toast right now.  I don't really miss the Ozzie Guillen era, but he was the best I have ever seen at taking attention away from players when things were going badly.

They also saw their manager toss a teammate under the bus while he was basically carrying the team early last season.  That has to make them question the level to which TLR does or doesn't have their backs.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I totally agree with this assessment as it is clear they are playing too tight and mentally in a wrong place. This dysfunctional and mentally confused Sox team is what you get when the owner decides to correct a 36 year mistake and hire an over the hill demented manager. It sickens me to watch TLR in that dugout with his lethargic managing. TLR brings zero enthusiasm, leadership and motivation to these players.  I also agree if they hired Ozzie, he would at least get the guys fired up and playing looser. It will also be nice to bring Frank Thomas in as well, and lose Menechino, to get the offense performing better.

The irony is this team played looser and were having way more fun with better results under Renteria. I was totally in favor of firing Renteria at the time, but heaven forbid, I didn't think the idiot owner would make the manager's selection and override Hahn. 

2 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's weird that these are two very different statements, but I somehow agree with both of them. That's how bad things seem to be right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

LaRussa just lets them do whatever the hell they want. Especially TA and Abreu. 

LaRussa, if he hasn't, should talk to Anderson about his public squabble with Guillen about playing a second game in a doubleheader.  Neither the team nor Anderson need a distraction like this right now. It is nothing but a losing proposition. Then again, LaRussa may feel Guillen biting at his heels.

1 hour ago, JoeC said:

Unfortunately that 13-7 record is tied with the Twins over that same span.

That includes a sweep by the Astros.  Twins have collapsed against tougher competition.  As their schedule gets tougher we'll see if they hold up.  We're running our gauntlet now and keeping pace.

If he played for Tony no one outside Baltimore would remember Cal Ripken. I'm wondering what player has played the most consecutive games for Tony and if the number is greater than 40. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Texsox said:

If he played for Tony no one outside Baltimore would remember Cal Ripken. I'm wondering what player has played the most consecutive games for Tony and if the number is greater than 40. 

I legit lol'd on this one.  well played.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

If Tony was Coaching: Part 2

June 11th, 1997 Tony is coaching in the NBA playoffs. 

"He's sick. Bad pizza or the flu. Michael Jordan will be resting tonight. We just signed Leury Garcia, a six year old phenom, to start in his place."

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

If Tony was Coaching: Part 2

June 11th, 1997 Tony is coaching in the NBA playoffs. 

"He's sick. Bad pizza or the flu. Michael Jordan will be resting tonight. We just signed Leury Garcia, a six year old phenom, to start in his place."

I’m trying to think of an end the bench equivalent for Leury on those dynasty Bulls teams, but Phil Jackson was wise enough not to start and overplay a total scrub day in and day out.  It’s like Randy Brown or Bobby Hansen starting at forward or center every time a regular had the slightest of ailments. 

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

I’m trying to think of an end the bench equivalent for Leury on those dynasty Bulls teams, but Phil Jackson was wise enough not to start and overplay a total scrub day in and day out.  It’s like Randy Brown or Bobby Hansen starting at forward or center every time a regular had the slightest of ailments. 

Ope, can't have MJ starting in back to backs, better let Craig Hodges start and play 40 minutes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Granville Waiters. 

Big lead, with a couple minutes to go, the chants would start. Biggest cheers if he scored.