Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 12:57 PM)
It took the threat of the Nationals for Dombrowski to pony up, Sox need to find a new muse to work on Luhnow. That Joel Sherman tweet of "80% chance Sale goes to the Nationals" still rings in my ear.

Depends how bad the Astros want him. Sox can just walk away and say, bidding is open or we're keeping him.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 01:00 PM)
Depends how bad the Astros want him. Sox can just walk away and say, bidding is open or we're keeping him.

Until they are actually playing a team off another or a couple, there is no reason for anyone to crack. Washington supposedly upped their Sale offer after they realized their take it or leave it offer wasn't going to be enough. It still wasn't enough. Until Lunhow realizes he is about to lose out or until Hahn realizes he won't get a better offer, there is no reason to budge unless the plan B,C, and Ds are coming off the board.

And that is to the White Sox advantage. The contenders need a TOR starter a lot more than the Sox have to get rid of Q in the next several months.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 09:56 AM)
The #WhiteSox still want to trade Jose Quintana,and figured #Astros were perfect match, but won't move him until someone meets their price.

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/809094035944144896

This doesn't feel like posturing to me. This sounds more like the Astros aren't willing to meet the Sox's asking price & talks are dead as of now.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 01:07 PM)
Yeah I don't get any sense of posturing here.

As an aside, I get a kick out of how over-intellectualized the concept of "posturing" is. If unconnected fans on message boards can read through the BS and detect something as "posturing," how seriously would actual MLB executives ever take any of it?

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 01:15 PM)
As an aside, I get a kick out of how over-intellectualized the concept of "posturing" is. If unconnected fans on message boards can read through the BS and detect something as "posturing," how seriously would actual MLB executives ever take any of it?

They all do it and probably assume most of it is BS, but keep in the back of their minds there may be something to it.

I would really doubt in this case the Sox would trade Q without getting back to Houston to see if they may budge. When they went over the Sale trade, Hahn did tell DD Sale was getting traded at the Winter Meetings. It wasn't going to drag on.

If he did the same and said Q is getting traded by the end of the week, the best offers would soon follow. Right now, Hahn doesn't need to be in a rush. Maybe some more serious suitors can emerge. With Sale and then Eaton, I'm almost thinking Hahn made sure they were done because he wanted this rebuild and trading them meant no turning back.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 01:04 PM)
Until they are actually playing a team off another or a couple, there is no reason for anyone to crack. Washington supposedly upped their Sale offer after they realized their take it or leave it offer wasn't going to be enough. It still wasn't enough. Until Lunhow realizes he is about to lose out or until Hahn realizes he won't get a better offer, there is no reason to budge unless the plan B,C, and Ds are coming off the board.

And that is to the White Sox advantage. The contenders need a TOR starter a lot more than the Sox have to get rid of Q in the next several months.

It would be nice for the Rockies to enter the fray and dangle Rodgers and/or Dahl to add some competition and urgency. Of course, there well may be multiple other offers out there right now that just aren't as publicized as the Astros'.

It's too bad Colorado or no one else seems serious about trading for Q. Without another contender, Houston can just attempt to do what the Sox did last year with Cespedes... "they'll have no choice but to take our lowball offer."

We all know how that turned out for the Sox, and I think something similar happens to Houston. They either don't get a TOR starter to start 2017, or they decide to pay the price. Let's hope they aren't as stubborn as the Sox were, or that another team or two finally seriously jump into this.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 11:17 PM)
It's too bad Colorado or no one else seems serious about trading for Q. Without another contender, Houston can just attempt to do what the Sox did last year with Cespedes... "they'll have no choice but to take our lowball offer."

We all know how that turned out for the Sox, and I think something similar happens to Houston. They either don't get a TOR starter to start 2017, or they decide to pay the price. Let's hope they aren't as stubborn as the Sox were, or that another team or two finally seriously jump into this.

Just be patient. While I think he gets moved this offseason, it could be at the deadline or next offseason for Quintana. There is no need to rush the process when we need to get the best return

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 08:08 AM)
chisox are still listening to offers for jose quintana. astros involved, but of course others r too. 27, 4 yrs control.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/809397872202485760

The list of suitors will go beyond the Astros. Quintana's cheap contract fits into nearly every mlb club's budget. It would be a mistake for other GM's to not speak to the Sox about him

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 08:08 AM)
chisox are still listening to offers for jose quintana. astros involved, but of course others r too. 27, 4 yrs control.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/809397872202485760

I really think the Sox would consider a Martes/Tucker/Reed/Perez offer if the Astros won't dish up Musgrove

The Sox truly hold all the cards here. He's under control long enough that they could choose to hold onto him and build around him. Obviously that would hurt the prospect of rebuilding, however. But there is no way Hahn is going to settle for a package. Some team will most likely step up and pay. If not now, someone at the deadline could be in dire need.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)
The list of suitors will go beyond the Astros. Quintana's cheap contract fits into nearly every mlb club's budget. It would be a mistake for other GM's to not speak to the Sox about him

Who are the other teams though? Serious question. How many playoff contenders need pitching and have a top 25 (or close to it) prospect they are willing to give up? It's gotta be a very short list.

Yankees, Rockies...they are the only 2 serious contenders I see. Pirates have a need for pitching and the prospects, but the odds of them trading 3-4 or good prospects for 1 guy seems very low to me. Cards, Indians, Rangers, Red Sox, Giants, Orioles, Mets, Nats, Cubs, Dodgers....all playoff contenders that aren't going to be trading for Q in my eyes.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 09:14 AM)
I really think the Sox would consider a Martes/Tucker/Reed/Perez offer if the Astros won't dish up Musgrove

I'm fine with this return. Perez has major helium. One of my favorite Astros prospects and would be a great get.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 08:25 AM)
Who are the other teams though? Serious question. How many playoff contenders need pitching and have a top 25 (or close to it) prospect they are willing to give up? It's gotta be a very short list.

Yankees, Rockies...they are the only 2 serious contenders I see. Pirates have a need for pitching and the prospects, but the odds of them trading 3-4 or good prospects for 1 guy seems very low to me. Cards, Indians, Rangers, Red Sox, Giants, Orioles, Mets, Nats, Cubs, Dodgers....all playoff contenders that aren't going to be trading for Q in my eyes.

I agree 100%. Doesn't seem like a Pirates thing to do. Unless they unload a couple of the guys at the MLB level for prospects.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 08:25 AM)

I could very much see cardinals in this mix just they have fewer bullets. Would need Reyes.

Their fans are also obsessed with Kelten Wong as a trade piece but he's of little value to me. Though I do think he is a good bounceback candidate elsewhere.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 09:34 AM)
I could very much see cardinals in this mix just they have fewer bullets. Would need Reyes.

Their fans are also obsessed with Kelten Wong as a trade piece but he's of little value to me. Though I do think he is a good bounceback candidate elsewhere.

Possible, but hard to see them giving up Reyes honestly. And even then they really don't have a whole lot of position player prospects. Bader, Perez, and Carson Kelly are about all they have that I'm aware of. Bader is about as unspectacular as they come as far as tools, and Perez is very far away. Kelly we should be interested in though. 0 interest in Wong. Maybe if they included Grichuk? Not sure of his service time though, 4 years left of control I believe?

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 08:44 AM)
Possible, but hard to see them giving up Reyes honestly. And even then they really don't have a whole lot of position player prospects. Bader, Perez, and Carson Kelly are about all they have and Bader is unspectacular as they come and Perez is very far away. Kelly we should be interested in though. 0 interest in Wong. Maybe if they included Grichuk? Not sure of his service time though, 4 years left of control I believe?

They could always make it interesting with their competitive balance pick (but that would have to be like a 5th piece).