Update: Luis Robert has been cleared according to Rosenthal

maggsmaggs

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 6, 2017 -> 12:37 PM)
I think its more that the Sox screwed up and traded a good prospect before he had a chance to show anything. Kudos to the Padres, I guess.

Other publications are high on Tatis, its not like Law is alone.

Why does there need to be a conspiracy or grudge? What happened to Occam's Razor?

What did Tatis show, exactly?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 6, 2017 -> 09:32 PM)
What did Tatis show, exactly?

Average tools across the board, some of which has started to show in games. SSS and all that, but he looked good after trade / this spring.

My only comment about Keith Law is that he is a self admitted big Royals fan.

Given that, no matter how much he tries to keep it from influencing his comments / decisions, it's going to make an impact on how he judges things.

Mark

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 11:35 PM)
Who is Robert's pro comp?

What are the chances the Sox sign him?

Yes I know I could look but 15 pages is a s***load

Rey Ordonez, 1.2%

sorry, just trolling. He's good, and seemingly OK chance of getting him.

He's very tall and rangy, but supposedly has blazing speed....you can watch an extended batting practice session on youtube, around 18-20 minutes.

He reminds me of Devon White with more power, but you might not necessarily know who that is/was. Definitely will get his power from arm extension. Eric Davis is another physical comparison that came to mind right away.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 11:35 PM)
Who is Robert's pro comp?

What are the chances the Sox sign him?

Yes I know I could look but 15 pages is a s***load

He's barely a prospect and Sox don't have any chance at signing him. Carry on.

I think he is going to be big like Puig eventually. Hopefully not too muscular. Their batting stances are very similar. He'd be an exciting signing. He'd be an even more exciting signing if he panned out.

I think the chances the Sox have to sign him are far better than Ohtani. The Sox have a Cuban tradition. Have Abreu and Moncada, and their timeline to contend fits Robert a lot better than fits Ohtani. Money being around the same, why would Ohtani come to a rebuilding team that is virtually ignored in their own city?

The White Sox could become the team in Cuba, not that it would make them much money, but could start a generation or two of fandom.

Edited by Dick Allen

Of note.

On the field, Robert had a private workout with the Astros at their complex in the Dominican Republic, where he hit a home run against live pitching. After that, Robert postponed workouts with other clubs, with Robert’s camp informing those teams that Robert had come down with the flu.

Robert does have a private workout scheduled for Friday with the Athletics and next week with the Reds, Baseball America has learned. The White Sox, Padres and Cardinals are among the other teams also expected to hold individual workouts with Robert.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...htYeMTZKi8I4.99

Bad in sense that it could restrict our 2017 class, but I don't really think it affects our chances of getting him unless we refuse to go over tax (which would be like $200k so )

I used to think there was no way SD or whomever wouldn't continue going over for him. But now that it is clear just how much those orgs like ATL and SD spent, I have a hard time believing they would spend another 15-20 million (100% of what they spend will be taxed). For SD, that would put them at like 100 million for 2016, and I don't buy that even with a light roster in majors that is feasible.

STL is the one wild card, especially with a failing ML team. But I think we can outspend them if we truly are willing to spend 25 mill on him or more.

Edit: Badler has cards total (signings plus tax) at $20 million for 2016. Signing Robert at 10 million puts them at $40 million. Much more doable than the pads, who are estimated to be at $80 mill already.