White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 06:05 PM)
While it could work out perfectly, the problem with it is at the deadline, there will be limited suitors, and at this time you don't know who they may be. Someone will want him for sure, but you can't be positive of a prospect upgrade. The Yankees might want him now, but might have to use their resources on another position. I don't know if that really is a calculated risk. It seems a bit risky.

They'll probably use guys like Frazier and Adams on pitching as they probably should.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 05:55 PM)
I still think this is idiotic. There are better ways to think outside the box.

If the White Sox wanted to be more strategic, they would reinvest some of JR’s money into rebuilding Puerto Rico, working with an unimpeachable non profit like Habitat for Humanity. Send some of the players and coaches down on a goodwill tour, especially anyone with family ties to PR. Or even a low interest loans/micro finance approach.

https://www.lavidabaseball.com/puerto-rico-...nte-needs-help/ They could help to finance the restoration and completion of Roberto Clemente Sports City, for example.

Hire Javy Vasquez, Roberto Alomar, Jose Valentin, Roberto Hernandez and one of the Molina’s (can also work with the catchers as a coach for part of the year) as Sox Ambassadors. Dennis Martinez probably has too many ties to Orioles, but he would be the best.

They could even buy these two houses in San Juan that are currently worth way less than $840,000 combined (after the earthquake) in order to alleviate financial stress on the Clemente family. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/36-Calle...id/?view=public 36-B, adjoining property, also for sale.

Make them the HQ of a new Sox Baseball Academy in PR.

Invest less than $15 million, which has to be lower than the opportunity cost of surrendering Cease and Fulmer, you have X percentage higher probability of signing any Puerto Rican player and you also have an “in” with potential PR draft picks.

In fact, Nolan Arenado’s mother is Puerto Rican...father is Cuban. Do all the things as outlined, we have a much better shot at Arenado than we do being the highest bidder for Machado.

Yeah because they are gonna be so happy that we faked helped them so we could get them to consider us. Let's also pay the rent for poor families in Chicago to get elite talent to want to play on the Bulls.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 05:27 PM)
We have the raw talent right now to be better than the 2017 Astros were by 2020. We just need enough of it to work out. We have 1 fewer young stud ready to go around the diamond than them (Altuve, Correa, Springer/Moncada + Jiminez) but we've got a comparable amount of depth, if we can develop some guys...and we have WAY more pitching than they ever dreamed of having this season. Like it's not even a discussion. Their big acquisition was Verlander to fill that need, so we could use one more major player around the diamond.

I agree with you.

I just don't understand this apparent zeal to deteriorate that talent.

And the other effect of this bizarre strategy is not trading Abreu, which, honestly, they really should do

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 09:10 PM)
I agree with you.

I just don't understand this apparent zeal to deteriorate that talent.

And the other effect of this bizarre strategy is not trading Abreu, which, honestly, they really should do

I'm equally ok with extending him. I just think whatever the call is, it should be made by the end of this offseason.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 07:46 PM)
Not much activity on twitter tonight. Only interesting thing I saw was someone claiming that the Orioles want to wrap this up by the end of the weekend.

I think everyone saw Nightengales tweet with “#Cubs” and closed their computers like Ed Norton, then went out

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 06:51 PM)
Yeah because they are gonna be so happy that we faked helped them so we could get them to consider us. Let's also pay the rent for poor families in Chicago to get elite talent to want to play on the Bulls.

It’s called enlightened self-interest and corporate social responsibility.

Every Fortune 500 company does the exact same thing.

There’s a clearer connection between athletes and their home countries (see Cuba and White Sox) is 10x stronger than the generic idea of helping the inner cities and having that pay off.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 12:35 AM)
Here's what I think is happening/is the strategy:

Hahn sees Machado available for young pitching. White Sox, having such a deep farm now, almost certainly have some prospects/players that THEY think are overrated by consensus. He puts together a package of guys the Sox maybe have soured on but the rest of the industry won't catch onto for another half season or so, figuring that if he moves these guys for Machado, he can re-flip Machado for a different set of prospects at the deadline. Even if the "total value" of the return is similar or even a bit less than he paid, it could be a boon if he can get guys he likes better than those he gave up. That sounds like a "calculated risk" to me.

And then, if he can extend him in-season instead, that's a bonus. But I can't believe they think an extension is anything more than a hail mary.

Man, this strategy assumes the league is full of dumb GMs. So we are going to send them some name prospects who we have already deduced will not make it. Then we flip him and try again for different prospects.

I would think Jerry and the owners would rather save their $$$ and not give Machado any dough prior to being flipped considering we're penciling in the sox for about 64 wins this year. If you are going to be that bad (bullpen, defense) why the hell would you not just hoard some more money rather than give it to Manny in some weird flip scheme.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 08:25 PM)
Man, this strategy assumes the league is full of dumb GMs. So we are going to send them some name prospects who we have already deduced will not make it. Then we flip him and try again for different prospects.

I would think Jerry and the owners would rather save their $$$ and not give Machado any dough prior to being flipped considering we're penciling in the sox for about 64 wins this year. If you are going to be that bad (bullpen, defense) why the hell would you not just hoard some more money rather than give it to Manny in some weird flip scheme.

You've gotten extreme with your trolling the past few days. They are clearly not opinions of real human beings. Take it easy and be real man

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 02:24 PM)
People from KC apparently :lol:

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=104407

Edit: I'm sorry, I meant the "baseball world."

Not just the starter of that thread there was another one I saw in this thread. And quite a few more saying it would move the window up a year when I actually think it'll hurt prospect depth that could be used at a later date and would also mean if it is done to move the window up a year then you probably have to avoid trading Abreu and Avi because trading them now sets the window back again and wouldn't be a winning culture that may be required to entice Machado to resign with the Sox.

I don't think having him for a year will entice him to resign with the Sox because he only wants to play SS now to maximize his value playing SS for a year right before Free agency and minimize the risk to his knees. All a very calculated risk on his part to get the big payday . It backfires only if his bad knees don't hold up.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 06:58 PM)
Who?

If you expect me to go through this entire thread to find it to satisfy your curiosity then you would be wrong. You are perfectly capable of doing that yourself. Trust me you will find it but it may take a few hours. I'm not just making it up.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 07:04 PM)
If you expect me to go through this entire thread to find it to satisfy your curiosity then you would be wrong. You are perfectly capable of doing that yourself. Trust me you will find it but it may take a few hours. I'm not just making it up.

:notworthy

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 10:16 PM)
No top prospects involved apparently. O's don't like us because we may trade with Spankees.

Good news! Have likely or real is that rumor with us and the yankees? Also what is considered "no top prospects"? No Giolito? No Lopez? Or do we really not know still

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 10:23 PM)
Good news! Have likely or real is that rumor with us and the yankees? Also what is considered "no top prospects"? No Giolito? No Lopez? Or do we really not know still

No Kopech or Giolito is being reported by everyone. May include players on the MLB and mid level guys. Rumor has it the O's owner is frightened to deal with us like a punk. May even put in the deal that we wont trade with them.

Some of you may find this interesting:

The point that I found most interesting is this; Since Machado wants to ultimately end up on the Yankees, why wouldn't Baltimore try to at least remove a good prospect, or 2, from New York's future roster?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 08:53 AM)
Some of you may find this interesting:

The point that I found most interesting is this; Since Machado wants to ultimately end up on the Yankees, why wouldn't Baltimore try to at least remove a good prospect, or 2, from New York's future roster?

Besides NY based loudmouths, who says Machado wants to be a Yankee? And what are the loudmouths sources?