Dunning to Start Wednesday

DirtySox

I wonder if Madrigal's shoulder stabilized and whether he is ready to go.

If the Sox only need another bat they might consider Mercedes over Vaughn. 

Mazara has people concerned about finding an every day RFer, seemingly an intractable problem.

His bat speed looks slow and sluggish, especially for a pull hitter that need to get around on pitches.

And no home runs for a corner outfielder on this team? That's not acceptable.  We need another bomber there. We tought we had one.

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I wouldnt bring him up now. Just wait till early next year to get that extra year. He prolly needs some time in actual minor league games too.

EE usually takes awhile to get going too. 

Maybe Harold is referring to Crochet? 

Crochet and Vaughn are the only ones I can think of that warrants the eyeballs.

Crochet is a great guess as a “surprise” call up. One of the many strange things about this year is that we don’t have any insight into how the farm is preforming.

Flying blind and have to just trust our evaluators.

2 hours ago, tray said:

Mazara has people concerned about finding an every day RFer, seemingly an intractable problem.

His bat speed looks slow and sluggish, especially for a pull hitter that need to get around on pitches.

And no home runs for a corner outfielder on this team? That's not acceptable.  We need another bomber there. We tought we had one.

Madrigal is still on track for EOM return.

12 hours ago, tray said:

He's not a pull hitter.

I just want to say I absolutely love this Forum! I stay updated everyday, and only share my thoughts when I feel needed. 

For some reason the Dane Dunning start tomorrow seems extra exciting. Yes, the Sox are feeling it offensively. Yes, it will be a very rare "Debut v.s. Debut" start...But through such a weird, and (at times) frustrating season, it has been nice to see alot of young players get innings and at bats.

The future of this team's offense seems undoubtedly exciting. The bullpen has shown alot of promise and us fans are excited! On the contrary the starting pitching has had questions. I am more optimistic than most. Cease starts off 4-1 and Keuchel is pitching like an Ace. Hopefully Michael Kopech will be ready to go next spring, and Garret Crochet seems like a pitcher that could surprise alot and make it to the big leagues very quickly. With that said, I am really rooting for a guy like Dane Dunning, because he might round out the very future of the WS rotation. The future is here. Go Sox! Lets get sweep the Tigers and move onto the Scrubs.

2021/2022 Rotation?

1.Dallas Keuchel 

2.Dylan Cease

3.Lucas Giolito

4.Dane Dunning

5.Michael Kopech/Garett Crochet

• Like 2

https://theathletic.com/2006926/2020/08/19/why-dane-dunning-always-had-the-fortitude-to-make-his-white-sox-debut/?source=dailyemail

In a tough University of Florida program that hadn’t offered him until he was a rising high school senior, with A.J. Puk, Alex Faedo and Logan Shore in the rotation, Dane Dunning was working out of the bullpen as a junior, after a rough freshman year and a solid but unspectacular sophomore campaign. His even keel seems perfect now for the pressures of professional baseball and Wednesday’s big-league debut, and especially for coping with over two years of elbow rehab, but at the time some questioned whether the happy and approachable right-hander truly burned to be great. He was still smooth-faced, easily 30 pounds lighter than he is today, and when he wore his now trademark glasses, Dunning still looked 12 years old. Thompson’s friends were a little skeptical.

“I said, ‘Listen, guys,'” Thompson recalled in a phone call with The Athletic. “‘Dane is 6-foot-4. He’s young, his arm has not been used that much and he’s throwing 93-94 mph with movement. If you don’t think he’s going in the top two rounds, you’re nuts.'”

Would love to see Dane follow a similar trajectory as Clevinger with the tribe; both coming back from serious injuries to debut at 25 and bolster the mid rotation. Clevinger has more power but Dane has shown an aptitude for striking out more for their respective trips to the show.

4 hours ago, Soxnfins said:

Honestly do like Dunning, would be a nice surprise after all the work he's put in to become a solid #4, with potential #3 stuff.  I'd like that and it seems reasonable.

Dunning would be a great find if he could hold down a spot in the rotation.  The lineup and bullpen have really developed nicely.  The starting staff will make us or break us in this short "every game counts" season IMO.

• knightni changed the title to Dunning to Start Wednesday