Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

1 minute ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Glass half full perspective: this is exactly what we said when SD came out on Freeman before the LAD signing, so maybe this is a sign that a Sox signing is imminent. 🤘

It really is becoming time for players to get signed and in camp, and these “mystery team” tweets are a good sign.

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So basically same AAV commitment.  Who knows - maybe Miller didn't want to play here.  Those are the things that us fans never will really know but are definitely a part of negotiations and player decision making.  Easy to say WTF - why' they choose Harrison over Miller.  But if Miller wasn't interested in signing here - ya know - that's just part of the game. 

Miller is also 2 years younger. I can see the FO thinking he's barely played 2B recently and being reluctant to give him a full-time job there. Yes, he can play there, but Philly used him more as a 1B and corner OFer. He's only played about 300 innings at 2B in the past 4 seasons. Harrison is definitely a better option there defensively as well. Miller just fits the offense MUCH better. He had a .842 OPS against righties last year. Harrison was around .700. 

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Sox are definitely interested in Conforto, even if it hasn't been super publically stated.  

I am sure Conforto is still looking to beat the 5/$100M that the Mets apparently offered him last summer.  I am sure Sox are trying for something more like the Yaz 4/$73M.  Hopefully they don't overplay their hand. 

You’re much more optimistic than I am. I guess I totally buy into them being tapped out right now. Not very optimistic at the moment that Kinbrel will be moved either at this point.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The Sox are definitely interested in Conforto, even if it hasn't been super publically stated.  

I am sure Conforto is still looking to beat the 5/$100M that the Mets apparently offered him last summer.  I am sure Sox are trying for something more like the Yaz 4/$73M.  Hopefully they don't overplay their hand. 

fuck it.  overplay it and sign him for 5/10 if that's what he wants.  This reminds me of Machado where we all knew he'd sign for 300 million..  Then we offer a low 250, and someone late in the game comes in and says, fuck it, I'll give him the 300 million.

13 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Remember when the Sox didn't pursue Harper because he was going to block Rutherford, Basabe, and/or Adolfo?  Good memories.

There are Sox fans, and then there are Sahx fayans. 

Colas is being penciled in as the 2020s RF by at least 1/3 of the fan base

Edited by KBX

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

fuck it.  overplay it and sign him for 5/10 if that's what he wants.  This reminds me of Machado where we all knew he'd sign for 300 million..  Then we offer a low 250, and someone late in the game comes in and says, fuck it, I'll give him the 300 million.

We should try to learn the lessons the Cubs should have from Heyward, Chatwood, Darvish, etc.

I'd like us to sign Comforto but, ideally, a short-term (3yr) deal at < $20/per. If '21 was an anomaly and he bouces back strong, include an opt-out. I'm starting to think he might fall to us under those terms. If he holds out for a longer deal and/or greater AAV, I'd prefer we trade for a pitcher and back-up catcher and call it a day.  

8 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

This isn't accurate.

It is accurate that Harper was seen as less of a fit than Machado, which is why the Sox choose to pursue Machado and not Harper.  3B was seen as a bigger area of need than RF in large part because of those prospects I mentioned.  These points aren't really up for debate.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

The Sox aren't even willing to go to 4 years per Pal so even the Grandal contract isn't happening. 

Yeah, I just don’t take message board insiders word as gospel. No disrespect to Pal in particular, nothing against him. But we also have guys who actually use their real name and have gotten info in past like James Fox who haven’t said anything like this. 

You can choose to believe the Sox aren’t intersted in Conforto if you’d like. That’s cool. I’ll wait until he’s signed elsewhere to freak out. The fit is amazing and until he signs elsewhere I cannot imagine the Sox aren’t trying to sign him. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Miller is also 2 years younger. I can see the FO thinking he's barely played 2B recently and being reluctant to give him a full-time job there. Yes, he can play there, but Philly used him more as a 1B and corner OFer. He's only played about 300 innings at 2B in the past 4 seasons. Harrison is definitely a better option there defensively as well. Miller just fits the offense MUCH better. He had a .842 OPS against righties last year. Harrison was around .700. 

Yup.  I'm cool with Harrison at this point.  Honestly, defense is a much bigger need than offense at 2bB right now.  I just wish Harrison batted left handed. But I am excited for his spark and I think he'll be a really fun guy at the bottom of the order batting in front of TA.  He's not sexy, but I am content with it at this point.

Just sign Michael fucking Conforto. 

13 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Working against who though? His market has been almost nonexistent in the public forum. Sure as hell ain’t the Sox. Giants signed Pederson.

just the market in general. Trying to pump it as much as possible.

7 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Yup.  Hard to not feel those vibes.  I get why people are skeptical.  But the fit is too good. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

You’re much more optimistic than I am. I guess I totally buy into them being tapped out right now. Not very optimistic at the moment that Kinbrel will be moved either at this point.

Why are you not optimistic that we will trade Kimbrel? 

5 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

It is accurate that Harper was seen as less of a fit than Machado, which is why the Sox choose to pursue Machado and not Harper.  3B was seen as a bigger area of need than RF in large part because of those prospects I mentioned.  These points aren't really up for debate.

The Sox moved Moncada to 3B after not signing Machado. I think they had a pretty good idea of what they had at 3B moving forward, with or without Machado. You're stating speculation as fact regarding the Sox outlook on Harper/Machado.

Just now, Perfect Vision said:

If going after superstars, I'd always take the LH bat and the less injury-laden position of RF over 3B. They're about the same WAR, but Harper is in that GOAT tier of hitter some years, and Harper will almost certainly be better overall in his 30s because there's less attrition playing RF. In that time I'd have gone hard for Harper and then look to deal from OF strength for a 3B with plus glove/average offense. 

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yup.  I'm cool with Harrison at this point.  Honestly, defense is a much bigger need than offense at 2bB right now.  I just wish Harrison batted left handed. But I am excited for his spark and I think he'll be a really fun guy at the bottom of the order batting in front of TA.  He's not sexy, but I am content with it at this point.

I think he's capable of one more pretty solid defensive year if has health and buy-in. I think he is pretty excited to be here, so I would expect effort to be there at least.

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I just have no idea why people here can say this with such confidence. They haven't been legitimately linked to him outside of the "he'd be a good fit" crowd. 

At this point, I'd be surprised if the Sox even have an offer out there for Conforto.

• Like 2

I was a little surprised the Cubs didn't re-engage on  Rizzo, Bryant, Baez or Schwarber. But it's probably smart. I think their reps are higher than their games right now, although Schwarber did have his best season last year, after a slow start. But he is a DH in reality.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I just have no idea why people here can say this with such confidence. They haven't been legitimately linked to him outside of the "he'd be a good fit" crowd. 

At this point, I'd be surprised if the Sox even have an offer out there for Conforto.

Who has Conforto been legitimately linked to Ray Ray? 

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Where is this Harrison is a great defender narrative coming from? He's been a neutral or negative defender via multipl metrics since 2017.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Who has Conforto been legitimately linked to Ray Ray? 

We know the Rockies and Giants checked in and looked elsewhere. The Rockies decided to spend a lot more and the Giants decided to spend a lot less. 

13 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Miller went to Rangers at sameish price because Taxes. That 2/10 deal looks much better in Texas than Illinois. 

There is more to taxes than income tax, but even beyond that we paid Harrison 5.5 million so his take home post tax will be $5,227,750. 

Obviously Miller is getting the 2nd year guaranteed though which is a difference.

• Quin locked this topic