Will the whining never end?

VAfan

I wouldn't say I'm satisfied with the White Sox offseason.   

I posted multiple times why I thought the Sox should re-sign Carlos Rodon.  Without him, our rotation is thin and it's also missing a potential TOR ace.  I'm guessing they didn't not as much for the money, but because they are still worried about his arm not lasting a whole season.  The Sox can likely win the AL Central without Rodon.  But how far will they get in the playoffs without him, if he were still in top form at the end of the year?   It's also odd that the team didn't extent a qualifying offer to pick up an extra draft pick. 

I also hear the complaints about paying too much for "utility" players Harrison and Garcia, though I never thought it realistic for the Sox to pay $175M to Semien when he's 32, or for the other high-priced middle infielders on the market.  

Kimbrel?  It's easy to trash this move given his production since he joined the Sox.  In hindsight, it was a bad trade, but Madrigal wasn't helping last year and if Kimbrel had pitched like he did for the Cubs, it would have fortified the back end of the Sox pen which looked very shaky at times last year outside of Hendrix.  And even he blew 6 saves.   So I can see why they did it.   Now?  The Sox had to pick up the option before a trade market for him might have developed.  Or they could have just let him go.  But at that point we didn't have Graveman or Kelly signed.  

So that covers SP, 2B, and Kimbrel.  It leaves RF. 

Perhaps this is the area of the most whining, but it strikes me as irrational and I've written a few posts about it.   If you sign Conforto to a multi year deal, you block the potential arrival of Oscar Colas or Yoenis Cespedes.  And you end up taking away ABs from the Sheets/Vaughn platoon when Grandal is the DH, assuming Abreu and Jimenez are not yielding their spots in that situation.  And if Conforto is giving way to a Sheets/Vaughn platoon when they are in the field, then why would you sign Conforto in the first place?  (They hit much better than he did last year, and cost pennies comparatively.)

While I've quickly rehashed some of the major bones of contention, I wrote this post to just say that the whining from many Sox fans is over the top.  

I'm not satisfied by the Sox offseason, but I still think they have an awesome team, will get better as the season progresses, and can still make moves to help the club up through the trading deadline.  

I've been a Sox fan since 1970 -- 52 years.  I've known only 1 World Series victory in that time.  I want the Sox to win again, but I think doing so is going to have more to do with the performance of the players we have on the team now than any additions or tweaks we might have made.  Houston embarrassed our entire pitching staff last year, and our offense wasn't capable of responding, except for one game.  

So, while so many fans are whining about what we don't have, why not enjoy what we DO have, and see if these guys can put it together and win? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Perhaps this is the area of the most whining, but it strikes me as irrational and I've written a few posts about it.   If you sign Conforto to a multi year deal, you block the potential arrival of Oscar Colas or Yoenis Cespedes. 

This is the first thing that jumped out to me - who cares about Colas and Cespedes?  Everything has indicated that they are not major league ready and neither is even a top 100 prospect.  We are in WS or bust mode at this point.  Get the best players available and win the damn thing.  

• Like 6

Just now, Spumoni said:

This is the first thing that jumped out to me - who cares about Colas and Cespedes?  Everything has indicated that they are not major league ready and neither is even a top 100 prospect.  We are in WS or bust mode at this point.  Get the best players available and win the damn thing.  

Also, since when is having too much talent a bad thing? Our farm system is TERRIBLE. It wouldn't be the worst thing for a prospect to develop enough to the point where we could trade him in case we have too much talent on the ML roster. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spumoni said:

Right on. Blocking Colas and Cespedes would be a great position to be in.

13 minutes ago, VAfan said:

I posted multiple times why I thought the Sox should re-sign Carlos Rodon.  Without him, our rotation is thin and it's also missing a potential TOR ace.  I'm guessing they didn't not as much for the money, but because they are still worried about his arm not lasting a whole season.  The Sox can likely win the AL Central without Rodon.  But how far will they get in the playoffs without him, if he were still in top form at the end of the year?   It's also odd that the team didn't extent a qualifying offer to pick up an extra draft pick. 

I also hear the complaints about paying too much for "utility" players Harrison and Garcia, though I never thought it realistic for the Sox to pay $175M to Semien when he's 32, or for the other high-priced middle infielders on the market.  

Kimbrel?  It's easy to trash this move given his production since he joined the Sox.  In hindsight, it was a bad trade, but Madrigal wasn't helping last year and if Kimbrel had pitched like he did for the Cubs, it would have fortified the back end of the Sox pen which looked very shaky at times last year outside of Hendrix.  And even he blew 6 saves.   So I can see why they did it.   Now?  The Sox had to pick up the option before a trade market for him might have developed.  Or they could have just let him go.  But at that point we didn't have Graveman or Kelly signed.  

Perhaps this is the area of the most whining, but it strikes me as irrational and I've written a few posts about it.   If you sign Conforto to a multi year deal, you block the potential arrival of Oscar Colas or Yoenis Cespedes.  And you end up taking away ABs from the Sheets/Vaughn platoon when Grandal is the DH, assuming Abreu and Jimenez are not yielding their spots in that situation.  And if Conforto is giving way to a Sheets/Vaughn platoon when they are in the field, then why would you sign Conforto in the first place?  (They hit much better than he did last year, and cost pennies comparatively.)

While I've quickly rehashed some of the major bones of contention, I wrote this post to just say that the whining from many Sox fans is over the top.  

I'm not satisfied by the Sox offseason, but I still think they have an awesome team, will get better as the season progresses, and can still make moves to help the club up through the trading deadline.  

I've been a Sox fan since 1970 -- 52 years.  I've known only 1 World Series victory in that time.  I want the Sox to win again, but I think doing so is going to have more to do with the performance of the players we have on the team now than any additions or tweaks we might have made.  Houston embarrassed our entire pitching staff last year, and our offense wasn't capable of responding, except for one game.  

So, while so many fans are whining about what we don't have, why not enjoy what we DO have, and see if these guys can put it together and win? 

Great Post!  I guess we old guys see things in the same light.

• Like 1

Honestly I am starting to jump abroard the Whine Wagon..  I stood up for hahn and wanted to rebuild so bad.  We are FINALLY to where we wanted to get, and Hahn blows it and it appears we have no interest maximizing our window, rather Hahn continues the same horrible offseason plans we've always had (signing old, shitty vets way past their prime).  IDK why I figured things would change.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Maybe it'll end when you stop making these absurd water carrying threads over and over again.

Yet another negative post.  That is exactly what VA is talking about.  We have one of the best teams in baseball and yet only the complainers can talk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

28 minutes ago, VAfan said:

In 1959 I was in 6th grade and disappointed with the Sox losing the World Series to the Dodgers! Color me selfish, but I'd prefer the Sox go all in and win now rather than later! 

• Like 2

"I've been a Sox fan since 1970 -- 52 years.  I've known only 1 World Series victory in that time. "

Please stop whining about the last 52 years.   It is time to move on. 

Edited by SCCWS

It's a little ridiculous that someone gets shouted down for trying to be positive about the team we actually DO have instead of lamenting the possibilities of what could have been. I'm no means an optimist at all times, but it's gotten to the point that threads are devolving to people trying to out-complain everyone else and make *THE BEST POINT* about how Hahn should be fired or the missteps we've made, etc.

We get it. Some things have sucked. But I personally think it's better for my mental health to spend time getting excited about the team we have (that is still damn good!) rather than figuring out a new way to piss in someone's cereal.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Yet another negative post.  That is exactly what VA is talking about.  We have one of the best teams in baseball and yet only the complainers can talk.

Rick Hahn said the Sox had a weakness in RF and expected to target a power lefty bat for the position. Was Rick Hahn being negative? 

13 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

It's a little ridiculous that someone gets shouted down for trying to be positive about the team we actually DO have instead of lamenting the possibilities of what could have been. I'm no means an optimist at all times, but it's gotten to the point that threads are devolving to people trying to out-complain everyone else and make *THE BEST POINT* about how Hahn should be fired or the missteps we've made, etc.

We get it. Some things have sucked. But I personally think it's better for my mental health to spend time getting excited about the team we have (that is still damn good!) rather than figuring out a new way to piss in someone's cereal.

The funny thing is I'm absolutely excited for the season. This doesn't take away my excitement at all for the current team or the players. It's actually why I'm most frustrated with the leadership, because I am so optimistic about these guys and want to see them succeed. 

Also, creating a thread to lambast peoples thoughts isn't typically going to generate responses such as "man, you're so right. What was I thinking?"

48 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

To be fair, the bulk of the “whining” is happening in the offseason thread and I’m not sure what else you’d expect to be going on in there given the moves we’ve made.  I guess my point is if you want to avoid the non-stop complaining, which is totally fair, just stay out of threads that are centered around disappointing topics.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chw42 said:

Also, since when is having too much talent a bad thing? Our farm system is TERRIBLE. It wouldn't be the worst thing for a prospect to develop enough to the point where we could trade him in case we have too much talent on the ML roster. 

Then, the object is to actually make a good trade without settling for the first sucker offer of some old washed up dudes due to impatience.

Edited by Chick Mercedes