A's interested in Andrew Vaughn/Sox in Montas

southsider2k5

5 minutes ago, tray said:

I would not include Sheets in any package for Montas. Sheets looked to be in great shape (from my perspective in RF yesterday) and seemed faster than he was last season as he tracked down a couple of fly balls including some that he had to run down a long way.

Sheets doeskin get the hype that Vaughn does but he could end up being just as valuable to this team.

Id rather give up Sheets as the main piece as opposed to Montgomery. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, tray said:

I would not include Sheets in any package for Montas. Sheets looked to be in great shape (from my perspective in RF yesterday) and seemed faster than he was last season as he tracked down a couple of fly balls including some that he had to run down a long way.

Sheets doeskin get the hype that Vaughn does but he could end up being just as valuable to this team.

He doesn't get the hype because he's no where near the prospect that Vaughn is.  I like Gavin but if he's a main piece in a trade for a good starting pitcher I'm all about it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

Bummer has way more years of control and you can probably argue he is the same caliber reliever that Rogers is. Sheets is also more valuable than Rooker. 

Sure, but we will see with the Twins this year the impact of subtracting their closer and best high leverage guy in Robles.  Just watch.

24 minutes ago, tray said:

He doesn't get the hype Vaughn does because he has nowhere near the offensive talent AV has, nor the prospect pedifree.  Add in that Sheets is a miserable defender anywhere you put him, and he probably has very limited value.  He's likely worth more to the Sox as an insurance policy (and I concur that he is valuable in that role), or he'd be playing somewhere else already.  Problem is, we have a dope of a manager that is going to overplay him.  Once Pollock is back, I'd send Sheets to AAA until another injury arises.  He's just going to get in the way of Vaughn on the MLB roster.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He doesn't get the hype Vaughn does because he has nowhere near the offensive talent AV has, nor the prospect pedifree.  Add in that Sheets is a miserable defender anywhere you put him, and he probably has very limited value.  He's likely worth more to the Sox as an insurance policy (and I concur that he is valuable in that role), or he'd be playing somewhere else already.  Problem is, we have a dope of a manager that is going to overplay him.  Once Pollock is back, I'd send Sheets to AAA until another injury arises.  He's just going to get in the way of Vaughn on the MLB roster.

He is a nice LH power option to give Vaughn a day off against tough RHP, like yesterday.

• Like 1

Just now, ptatc said:

He is a nice LH power option to give Vaughn a day off against tough RHP, like yesterday.

Sure.  If he's used sparingly and not the strong side of a platoon.  Sample size is limited, but so far it appears TLR intends to play Sheets against all/most RHP. Hence why I'd get him off the roster upon Pollock's return and just let AV play everyday.  AV doesn't learn to hit MLB RHP if he's on the bench against all the good ones.  

I like Gavin, but I also think there is a chance that last season was a mirage.  He's got 2 option years and nowhere to play and he's getting in the way of AV's playing time.  Having too many players that deserve at bats is a good problem to have for sure.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sure.  If he's used sparingly and not the strong side of a platoon.  Sample size is limited, but so far it appears TLR intends to play Sheets against all/most RHP. Hence why I'd get him off the roster upon Pollock's return and just let AV play everyday.  AV doesn't learn to hit MLB RHP if he's on the bench against all the good ones.  

I like Gavin, but I also think there is a chance that last season was a mirage.  He's got 2 option years and nowhere to play and he's getting in the way of AV's playing time.  Having too many players that deserve at bats is a good problem to have for sure.  

It's 4 games. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

He doesn't get the hype because he's no where near the prospect that Vaughn is.  I like Gavin but if he's a main piece in a trade for a good starting pitcher I'm all about it.  

Hard call...pitching has been fine whereas the need for that lefty power bat isn't going away.  One of those things where I defer to the FO with their access to more data/info than we poor mortals.  Maybe not seeing this clearly because I really like Sheets.

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It's 4 games. 

And AV has yet to start against a RHP, including the home opener.  Like I said, its a limited sample size.  But the early indications are what they are.  Gavin only play 1-2x a week isn't ideal for him either.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If Gavin Sheets is the main piece of a trade the pitcher you get in return will not be good.  

ZIPS thinks Gavin is going to produce about 20 million in excess value before 2025. That's not nothing. I mean, he's an actual MLB player with an established floor. He's not a star, but he's a useful guy on the 25 man as the strong side of a platoon.

3 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

This is just plain stupid. Depending on which review or source you go by, the A's farm system is ranked 22nd -26th in MLB. They have gutted all their top players to have the 29th ranked team payroll...second to last! They don't have enough talent to waste Hahn's time telling him they are interested in Vaughn. Hahn isn't going to give up the 2019 overall #3 draft pick to a team like the A's who have nothing to offer. 

lol what? They have Montas to offer. That's the point.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

I feel like Sheets' ceiling is a one or two time All-Star.

I feel like Vaughn's ceiling is a one or two time MVP.

Look Sheets is a guy who can end up being a starter for a lot of teams.  Maybe he even puts up a set of 30 homer seasons.  But with the make up of this roster, primarily competing with Andrew Vaughn for playing time, there just shouldn't be an every day role for Gavin Sheets with the White Sox.  Andrew Vaughn is a guy who is just going to hit.  The bonus is that he even seems like he not embarrass himself in the OF, so it opens spots for him with guys like Eloy and Abreu on the roster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If Gavin Sheets is the main piece of a trade the pitcher you get in return will not be good.  

Agreed. Even if the receiving time projects him into their starting lineup he's worth a fifth starter and even then there is probably a minor league prospect thrown in. 

As I type this I'm thinking Sheets and a ptbnl for a fifth starter is about right.

40 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Not as an outfielder imo. People are projecting him as an outfielder which is insane. Ideal physical profile as a first baseman though. 

I'd say most people are taking into consideration that Jose Abreu is 36 and seems to be contemplating retirement.

41 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Agreed. Even if the receiving time projects him into their starting lineup he's worth a fifth starter and even then there is probably a minor league prospect thrown in. 

As I type this I'm thinking Sheets and a ptbnl for a fifth starter is about right.

I don't even think they get that.  Sheets is a 26 yr old fringe avg 1B/DH with less than 200 career PA's. That's not exactly a rare commodity.  Every organization in baseball has their own Gavin Sheets type player so why would they make him the center of a trade?  The Cubs got Frank Schwindel off waivers.  He was 29 but the same type of 4A hitter.  These types of players aren't rare and it's the 9 millionth example of why you don't waste draft picks on first damn baseman. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Quin said:

I'd say most people are taking into consideration that Jose Abreu is 36 and seems to be contemplating retirement.

This organization could choose between Vaughn and Sheets to take over and trade the other. Id almost rather keep Sheets to take the job. At least he is big and left handed. And Vaughns value will allow the Sox to trade for a perfect fitting piece to plug in somewhere. Above comment about wasting draft picks on first basemen is a good one. Look at the problems the team has deploying its young talent because of the position they play. 

IMO, it is best to see Vaughn or any prospect prove himself over time. That is all I am suggesting.  Vaughn has not done that yet.  He hit .235 with 15 HR last season. That was not a small sample size. In addition, scouting caught up with him toward the end of the year.  Vaughn is also a veritable tank, short wide and slow in the field. Sheets or Eloy are much faster than Vaughn   Vaughn is probably a DH on most teams

Sheets hasn't proven much yet either, but from what I have seen in person, he has the type of powerful LH swing that could produce a lot of key HR for the Sox.

Vaughn seems like surplusage at this point for the Sox , a team that has plenty of RH power and Abreu  firml;y in command at first base for a few more years.

Another consideration  with a trade is the player's wishes. Vaughn is a Left coaster who misses his old friends and family and might love playing for Oakland, which is  close to home for him.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

And Vaughns value will allow the Sox to trade for a perfect fitting piece to plug in somewhere.

The Sox don't have near enough top prospects or top young players  to trade one like Vaughn  for a piece to plug a hole.
That narrows the window and will cause far more harm than anything gained from plugging a hole.
If traded, it should be for a similarly situated young player.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, tray said:

IMO, it is best to see Vaughn or any prospect prove himself over time. That is all I am suggesting.  Vaughn has not done that yet.  He hit .235 with 15 HR last season. That was not a small sample size. In addition, scouting caught up with him toward the end of the year.  Vaughn is also a veritable tank, short wide and slow in the field. Sheets or Eloy are much faster than Vaughn   Vaughn is probably a DH on most teams

Sheets hasn't proven much yet either, but from what I have seen in person, he has the type of powerful LH swing that could produce a lot of key HR for the Sox.

Vaughn seems like surplusage at this point for the Sox , a team that has plenty of RH power and Abreu  firml;y in command at first base for a few more years.

Another consideration  with a trade is the player's wishes. Vaughn is a Left coaster who misses his old friends and family and might love playing for Oakland, which is  close to home for him.

In 2021 Gavin Sheets was all of 0.3 sprint speed faster than Andrew Vaughn.  Jose Abreu was 0.1 faster than Vaughn. 

I don't know what your definition of "much" is, but I have a sneaking suspension it is wrong.

• Like 1