Rumor: Sox Pursuing Jose Quintana

Chicago White Sox

18 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

James Shields was rocked in his last two starts and Hahn gave up for two minor leaguer's one of which turned into an Allstar so beware.

James and I used to play against each other so never been a fan… after the He Who Shall Not Be Named trade though… I simply hate him.

3 minutes ago, hi8is said:

What does he really give us… An ability to put Kopech in the bullpen?

He gives us an extra starter for the stretch run and then a left-handed relief arm come October.  I’m good with it if the price is reasonable and it doesn’t prevent us from addressing the positional group.

I mean, they could have just signed Q in FA, so trading anything for him now feels stupid to me, but whatever.  A lefty arm to spot start and or eat innings out of the pen couldn’t hurt.  Doesn’t much help the ground ball offense or horrible OF defense but it’s something. 

Quintana was pretty gnarly in 2020-2021;

On 7/24/2022 at 7:37 PM, A-Train to 35th said:

James Shields was rocked in his last two starts and Hahn gave up for two minor leaguer's one of which turned into an Allstar so beware.

One of the best players in baseball.   
Hahn was warned not to trade him.  Just don't trade good up-the-middle prospects.
No one trades good prospects for a pitcher like Quintana anyway.  Rule 5 guy or 3rd tier prospect.

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

Hahn was warned not to trade him.  Just don't trade good up-the-middle prospects.
No one trades good prospects for a pitcher like Quintana anyway.  Rule 5 guy or 3rd tier prospect.

Well done.

6 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Who warned Hahn not trade him?

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Who warned Hahn not trade him?

Paddy.  He really wasn't some obscure prospect.
I figure Hahn didn't have a lifetime contract then, so he figured "it's now or never."  a couple of weeks later he used a first rounder for Burdi.  6 weeks later, rebuild time.   
Hahn certainly has been more cautious in his trades since then.  To some, too cautious.

I can see Quintana if they are confident he can innings-eat; not to move Kopech to the bullpen, but to give him (and others) rest.

Edited by GreenSox

Honestly, I don't see the harm in trading for Q.  It won't cost much/anything in prospect capital, I don't think.  Q, Kopech, and ReyLo can tag team as makes sense every 5th game, keeping Kopech's innings down.  

If that's the big move this trade deadline...okay, I guess.  The Sox are not in a position to make big splashes right now.  For the most part, they need to win with what they have this year and hope that the window doesn't close in 2023/24, because if they start trading prospect capital, 2025-2027 is going to be very painful on the heals of a 2016-2019 rebuild that didn't yield any meaningful results.

Edited by BRDSR

4 minutes ago, BRDSR said:

Honestly, I don't see the harm in trading for Q.  It won't cost much/anything in prospect capital, I don't think.  Q, Kopech, and ReyLo can tag team as makes sense every 5th game, keeping Kopech's innings down.  

If that's the big move this trade deadline...okay, I guess.  The Sox are not in a position to make big splashes right now.  For the most part, they need to win with what they have this year and hope that the window doesn't close in 2023/24, because if they start trading prospect capital, 2025-2027 is going to be very painful on the heals of a 2016-2019 rebuild that didn't yield any meaningful results.

Yeah, getting Q makes sense to be able to reduce Kopech's innings down the stretch. Doesn't make sense if there isn't a bigger move to go with it though.

• Hawk 1

3 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Paddy.  He really wasn't some obscure prospect.
I figure Hahn didn't have a lifetime contract then, so he figured "it's now or never."  a couple of weeks later he used a first rounder for Burdi.  6 weeks later, rebuild time.   
Hahn certainly has been more cautious in his trades since then.  To some, too cautious.

I can see Quintana if they are confident he can innings-eat; not to move Kopech to the bullpen, but to give him (and others) rest.

This isn't true. Nobody with the Sox really even saw Tatis playing in games. He was in DSL and on back fields in Arizona mostly. Paddy liked him but he was never projected to be anything close to this. He was like the 28th ranked international prospect in his class. 

• Thanks 1