Opening up my mind to giving the season a clean slate

Richie

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

And what result will actually happen? Realistically what will the changes be at the end of the year?

I’m in the Lawrence Holmes camp at this point in regards to his epic rant last September.  I want them humiliated at this point.  78-84 isn’t good enough for Hahn and company.

• Fire 2

14 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

I’m in the Lawrence Holmes camp at this point in regards to his epic rant last September.  I want them humiliated at this point.  78-84 isn’t good enough for Hahn and company.

I mean, they could get a good draft pick at this rate if these results were to hold up. But it’s not like the NFL and this team has so many needs. I don’t want them humiliated, I want progress. I think retooling will actually help and am not a fan of another rebuild. If Hahn gets fired then I can be on board with more changes than retooling. I just don’t see him getting canned.

• Like 1

Intentional tanking or losing games is tantamount to cheating. In addition, it ruins the sport and makes a mockery out of the team and the fan base. Wishing for new ownership does not guarantee more wins or a championship. Loyalty to the team, attendance at games, and taking pride as White Sox fans is what will make a difference.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, tray said:

Intentional tanking or losing games is tantamount to cheating. In addition, it ruins the sport and makes a mockery out of the team and the fan base. Wishing for new ownership does not guarantee more wins or a championship. Loyalty to the team, attendance at games, and taking pride as White Sox fans is what will make a difference.

I agree that you should never want your team to lose but having pride in your team is hard when the ownership, front office and players appear to have no pride in the team.

And equally whilst a new owner doesn't guarantee wins or a championship, just having an owner who cares about the team and its fanbase other than as a cash cow would be a start.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, tray said:

The problem is, Rick Hahn is the GM embodiment of tanking. 

• 73-89
  • 63-99
  • 72-89
  • 62-100
  • 67-95

Without looking it up, which records were the result of Hahn promoted tanking seasons, and which were Hahn promoted “trying” seasons?

I’ll hang up and listen to your response.

5 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

Soxtalk participants should vote on the White Sox Rant of the Year Awards.

2022 - Laurence Holmes

2023 - Berto from the West Side

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Without looking it up, which records were the result of Hahn promoted tanking seasons, and which were Hahn promoted “trying” seasons?

It is sometimes hard to tell the difference, after all this season is supposedly a 'trying season' and that has achieved a .333 win percentage, when they finally give up on the season imagine how bad it could get! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, tray said:

One way to take pride is to not attend games. Investing time and money in this team is a waste. Smart fans would recognize this.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

I’m a firm believer that on field results don’t matter to JR any more, so I’m rooting for maximum chaos, embarrassment, and or humiliation.  Public shaming probably doesn’t even matter but it’s worth a try. 

• Like 3

If JR does sell his piece of the team it will have nothing to do with the win loss record or attendance.  It will be based on how he plans to spend his final years and his family's preferences for the future.  It will also be based on tax considerations.  Remember that there are many owners, so it's conceivable he could leave but ownership would remain somewhat the same, just with a new managing partner.

19 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I’m a firm believer that on field results don’t matter to JR any more, so I’m rooting for maximum chaos, embarrassment, and or humiliation.  Public shaming probably doesn’t even matter but it’s worth a try. 

At least if there are other enough people humiliated maybe it would create an inside mutiny.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

It's either that or he is delusional. Watching that last video, one would think is all JR does is win. Yet, it's pretty much the opposite.

• Like 1

Still, we all too often seek the comfort of simple positive emotions such as happiness rather than sit in the discomfort of negative or mixed emotions, even though they contribute to more profound well-being.

We resist negative emotions such as sadness or fear at our peril. Psychologist and philosopher Kirk Schneider refers to happiness as “potential fool’s gold,” believing the “compulsion to think positively” (i.e., toxic positivity) is equally as bad as the “compulsion to think negatively” and can actually block us from experiencing the “wonder-amazement of living.” Embracing negative emotions not only adds to the richness of our human experience, but negative emotions are also a way to broaden our emotional vocabulary, which helps us call up a greater variety of coping skills. In fact, research shows that people with higher emotional granularity, or emodiversity, use more positive coping mechanisms and recover more quickly from stress.

Even better than embracing your negative emotions is embracing both positive and negative emotions at the same time. Holding two seemingly opposable emotional forces in your mind simultaneously, also called co-activation, is a powerful coping mechanism that increases our sense of meaning and gratitude in the face of adversity. While emotions such as happiness are known as “positively valenced” and emotions such as sadness are “negatively valenced,” some emotions like bittersweetness, sympathy, nostalgia and wonder are mixed or “dually valenced” emotions.

Paradoxically, this tendency toward feeling just positive purely or negative emotions is further exacerbated when we are stressed, precisely when we could most benefit from the ameliorating effects of mixed emotions.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/09/opinions/sense-of-wonder-instead-of-pursuit-of-happiness-parker/index.html

Edited by caulfield12

It's mind-boggling how bad the pitching has been this season.  Aside from Cease's first start, on the national stage when he garnered much praise, he's been bad.  Lynn strikes out a lot of hitters but gives up way too many big hits and HRs.  Kopech can't seem to get out of his own way.  Clevinger has been meh at best (but no one is really surprised).  Giolito is actually having a decent season, but he's pitching for his next contract.  The bullpen has been a big disappointment aside from Santos and Middleton.  Kelly and Graveman have been okay recently, but they're under-utilized.

With each loss, we're getting closer and closer to a big sell off.  This team is going to look very different come late summer.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tray said:

There is a difference between intentionally throwing games and fielding a roster that just isn't any good. Even if we were "tanking" the players on the field are still trying because its their career and they want to make money. There's nothing wrong with that approach when trying to rebuild an organization. If they had players and coaches intentionally throwing games, that's a different story.

We could all have loyalty to the team, every game a sell out, and take pride win or lose. None of that would change whats happening this season. This is a bad team, and the fans shouldn't be forced to accept it. If this organization held people accountable and made changes when they were needed I would be fine as a fan. They don't. No one loses their job for poor performance around here. We are stuck to deal with this. Its bullshit, I am tired of it.

Edited by T R U
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

15 minutes ago, T R U said:

We are stuck to deal with this. Its bullshit, I am tired of it.

So here's the thing with this statement. Because I've felt this way too...JR doesn't care. As long as he's getting his $$$ he doesn't give a poop! So I have just not allowed myself to get emotionally invested. I might go to one game to get my fix of live Sox baseball, but that's it. If he doesn't care, why the hell should I? I've watched the least amount of games to start this season than I have in a long time. Less than the rebuild years. 

My love of baseball will never fade. I'm going to CO to see a Rockies game this year. Stoked for that. We have the Tigers single-A team here in West Michigan, the White Caps, and those games are always a blast. I'll put my money into the game of baseball in ways other than the Chicago White Sox. The game is getting better, the league is getting better, the Chicago White Sox are stuck in mediocrity hell and won't leave until they get out of their own way. So, until that happens, I will enjoy the game of baseball in other ways. Don't get me wrong, I'll still follow the team. My love for the team will not go away, but I will not allow myself to become negatively emotionally attached anymore. It's not worth it. And this front office/ownership group sure as hell doesn't deserve it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Hawk 1

7 hours ago, hogan873 said:

It's mind-boggling how bad the pitching has been this season.  Aside from Cease's first start, on the national stage when he garnered much praise, he's been bad.  Lynn strikes out a lot of hitters but gives up way too many big hits and HRs.  Kopech can't seem to get out of his own way.  Clevinger has been meh at best (but no one is really surprised).  Giolito is actually having a decent season, but he's pitching for his next contract.  The bullpen has been a big disappointment aside from Santos and Middleton.  Kelly and Graveman have been okay recently, but they're under-utilized.

With each loss, we're getting closer and closer to a big sell off.  This team is going to look very different come late summer.

Once the team is different and a sell off happens, then what? Do you all then hope Hahn gets fired and JR keeps the team here or dies so we can endure another rebuild?

6 hours ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

So here's the thing with this statement. Because I've felt this way too...JR doesn't care. As long as he's getting his $$$ he doesn't give a poop! So I have just not allowed myself to get emotionally invested. I might go to one game to get my fix of live Sox baseball, but that's it. If he doesn't care, why the hell should I? I've watched the least amount of games to start this season than I have in a long time. Less than the rebuild years. 

My love of baseball will never fade. I'm going to CO to see a Rockies game this year. Stoked for that. We have the Tigers single-A team here in West Michigan, the White Caps, and those games are always a blast. I'll put my money into the game of baseball in ways other than the Chicago White Sox. The game is getting better, the league is getting better, the Chicago White Sox are stuck in mediocrity hell and won't leave until they get out of their own way. So, until that happens, I will enjoy the game of baseball in other ways. Don't get me wrong, I'll still follow the team. My love for the team will not go away, but I will not allow myself to become negatively emotionally attached anymore. It's not worth it. And this front office/ownership group sure as hell doesn't deserve it.

I got my game in, but will the rest of you limit your games and commit to not buying memorabilia to take a stand?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

Once the team is different and a sell off happens, then what? Do you all then hope Hahn gets fired and JR keeps the team here or dies so we can endure another rebuild?

I got my game in, but will the rest of you limit your games and commit to not buying memorabilia to take a stand?

I'm not holding my breath thinking Hahn will be fired or JR will change his ways.  I'm just saying a sell of is most likely coming, and this team will look much different before the season is over.  We, as fans, have learned our lesson regarding rebuilds.  I don't trust Hahn to do it right, and I don't trust JR to allow whatever GM is in place to build a championship caliber team.