Clevinger to IL

Heads22

25 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

I can’t understand why we have folks making negative posts about Clevinger. I think he has done a pretty good job and hopefully this wrist issue resolves quickly 

The two primary differences between Clevinger and Bauer are 

1. Clevinger's accusations also involved children in his domestic violence versus acquisitions against Bauer and the primary accuser appeared more damaging physically  and

2. Baseball came down hard on Bauer primarily because the Dodgers wanted to get out of a nine figure contract. MLB and the White Sox didn't have the same motivation ending Clevinger's $12M deal.

Neither had criminal prosecutions, both relied on he said / she said, both have multiple acquisitions against them. If there was evidence Hahn and the White Sox knew and signed him anyway, I wouldn't be watching any games until ownership and the front office were gone (Reinsdorf, Kenny, Hahn and Clevinger).

F Osuna, Chapman and the rest of them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

The majority of teams in baseball are now on their 7th and 8th starters already. 

The Dodgers' AA and AAA teams might have more starting pitching talent and depth than the Twins Sox Royals and Tigers combined together. 

Correct. Pitchers drop like flies today. The Sox themselves have gone through this before, it was in 2018 or 2019 they had nine pitchers on the IL during a stretch.

Yet clueless Hahn decides he doesn't need to get support. 😄 Seriously, how stupid can this guy be?

You have to basically plan for at least, AT LEAST six guys ready to be in the rotation. I've always felt the best five after what they have shown in the spring are in the rotation to start, the sixth man is the long guy and the guy who takes the ball when the DH's start piling up. That can change during the season of course based on injury and effectiveness or lack of effectiveness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Correct. Pitchers drop like flies today. The Sox themselves have gone through this before, it was in 2018 or 2019 they had nine pitchers on the IL during a stretch.

Yet clueless Hahn decides he doesn't need to get support. 😄 Seriously, how stupid can this guy be?

You have to basically plan for at least, AT LEAST six guys ready to be in the rotation. I've always felt the best five after what they have shown in the spring are in the rotation to start, the sixth man is the long guy and the guy who takes the ball when the DH's start piling up. That can change during the season of course based on injury and effectiveness or lack of effectiveness.

Last time we had any real rotation depth was 2006 when we added Javy in the offseason and Brandon McCarthy was the 6th. 

Daniel Hudson then comes along and they quickly dump him for the emigmatic Edwin Jackson. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He's been in 7 games in Charlotte 6.2 IP, 0 R, 0 hits ,6K, 3 BB

SO he's not exactly stretched out but he's Bryan Shaw.

Sox might not want to give up another player to get him on the 40 but then again Charlotte and other levels are filled with disposable players .

Dart to the 60-day would get you a free 40 spot, but Scholtens is already rostered and rested after being preemptively scratched from his Charlotte start this week.

Not sure if they try an opener for mini Gio, but I assume he gets the bulk of the work if not the start. He pitched well his last time out:

Lambert also hasn't pitched in like 10 days so he should be good for a couple if needed.

Not the worst timing, with the Guardians also relying on spot starter Gaddis for the series opener. His last AAA start was a little more recent and moderately less impressive than Scholtens: 5IP, 1ER, 5H, 2BB, 6K.

When Gaddis made a spot start last September against the Sox, he was tagged for 7 ER over 4IP and taken deep by Vaughn, Sheets, Yaz on one leg, Yo with no core strength, and of course the starting SS...Elvis Andrus. This makes him responsible for over 3% of the teams HR total last year, which is an unpleasant statistic for both parties honestly.

Pitching needs to limit damage from Ramirez/Naylor returning to the Cleveland lineup, and the offense needs to take advantage of Gaddis' propensity to give up the long ball again (2.79 HR/9 in AAA this year).

They haven't seen him before, but it would be a nice time for LRJ/Burger to stay hot and TA/Benny to hit their first.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

Forgot about Jesse Scholtens. He is probably the call up. Already on the 40-man with 7 starts in AAA at 3.99. Era. Has already been up with Sox to pitch 3.0 innings this season. 

9 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Bryan SHaw could probably go 4 innings in his sleep.

When I saw Clevinger was hurt, my mind went to Scholtens and Shaw as possibilities for a bullpen game. If Shaw has anything left, they might as well use him as an opener. Otherwise I guess they need to call up Scholtens.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The majority of teams in baseball are now on their 7th and 8th starters already. 

The Dodgers' AA and AAA teams might have more starting pitching talent and depth than the Twins Sox Royals and Tigers combined together. 

To further document your statement about the depth and strength of the Dodgers #2 ranked farm system. They just brought up from AAA, two of their top pitching prospects in Gavin Stone and Bobby Miller. Gavin Stone starts tonight against the Braves and multiple sources say Bobby Miller will also be brought up to start Tuesday's game against the Braves.

Bobby Miller is a RHP #19 overall MLB top 100 prospects.

Gavin Stone is a RHP #44 overall MLB top 100 prospects.

If that is enough, the Dodgers also have in their farm system of the MLB top 100 prospects:

#12 - Diego Cartaya, C - AA
#42 - Michael Busch, 2B/OF - AAA
#55 - Ryan Pepiot, RHP - AAA
#64 - Andy Pages, OF - AAA
#67 - Dalton Rushing, C - A+

It will be a "Freezing Day in Hell", before you can expect Rich Hahn to ever build a farm system similar to the Dodgers or other top clubs. 

They will pitch Lambert to get whatever they can get from him since he is rested. Jimmy is at the bottom of our bullpen lineup and the Hendriks call up is pending. 

After Lambert, Scholtens will take over for the remainder of the middle innings. Lambert will then be demoted to AAA for Hendriks soon. 

Edited by SouthSideGeorgia

Just now, SouthSideGeorgia said:

They will pitch Lambert to get whatever they can get from him since he is rested. Jimmy is at the bottom of our bullpen lineup and the Hendriks call up is pending. 

After Lambert, Scholtens will take over for the remainder of the middle innings. Lambert will then be demoted to AAA for Hendriks soon. 

I am thinking Jimmy for 2, Scholtens for 4 is the plan for night.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I was hoping to make Crochet the opener, but they are going to use him as a set up man and doom his chances of ever starting. What a short-sighted organization this is.

His chances of being a SP are already long gone.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

His chances of being a SP are already long gone.  

Agree to disagree. He is a three pitch pitcher.  If you stretched him out to say 90 innings this year, he could start next year. If you want to use him on back to back days, yeah, he'll never be a starter and their entire 2020 will be a complete waste.

1 minute ago, Timmy U said:

Agree to disagree. He is a three pitch pitcher.  If you stretched him out to say 90 innings this year, he could start next year. If you want to use him on back to back days, yeah, he'll never be a starter and their entire 2020 will be a complete waste.

The most innings he has thrown in a season since presumably high school is 65.  He's never thrown anything close to a major league SP workload.  He hasn't pitching competitively in almost 2 years.  To expect him to suddenly throw 90 innings coming off TJS, and then more next season, without blowing out his arm again is insane.  He's a reliever, and frankly, always has been.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, elrockinMT said:

I can’t understand why we have folks making negative posts about Clevinger. I think he has done a pretty good job and hopefully this wrist issue resolves quickly 

As you can read in this thread ,we don’t have many better options available than Clevinger.  So it is a loss.

17 hours ago, scs787 said:

I think it's time to break the streak of right handers starting(which is at what 165 straight games?) and use Crochett as an opener. 

With Kopech going 8 the other day, the pen isn't too taxed. 

Is Hahn working on getting the Sox some lefty starting pitchers into the system?