2023 College Football Thread

I’m very glad that ND finally backed Freeman when it came time to hire a OC. Love the Denbrock hire. He’s a good coach, he knows the school, and him being a TE coach allows ND to keep all of its offensive staff in tact, but also it fucks over Brian Kelly, which is a huge plus to this move.

When he was hired, I said I wanted to give Freeman 4 years to see how he builds up the program, that’s the amount of time it took Dabo to build up Clemson, and I think he and the school are on the right track. ND probably goes into next year with the best coordinator duo in the nation, assuming Golden stays at South Bend.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Maybe with the playoffs expanding they should just have a couple post season bowl games or make the bowl games the first game of the following season - so bowl games kick off the season. 

Maybe have a leveled playoff system.  If you aren’t in top 25, you fall into a different tiered playoff.  Keep the bowl names as the locations of each playoff 

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Ultimately, UGA was arguably one of the four best...but this outcome (Washington over Texas, then WASH/MICH) might be the best for college football (well, not the PAC-12 exactly), having two non-SEC teams.

I think they got the top four absolutely correct.  UGa was nothing special this year.

17 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think they got the top four absolutely correct.  UGa was nothing special this year.

There wasn't much separation...the biggest difference being at the QB position for UGA this season.

Texas rallied there in the 4th and almost ended up with the same amount of yards despite getting there a different way than Washington.

Washington could never quite seem to be put teams away definitively...it will be interesting to see if the Husky OL can hold off the UM pass rush and how Penix handles improvising outside the pocket.  Alabama was crushed in the first half, and that final run up the gut.

On 12/30/2023 at 7:52 AM, Dick Allen said:

Non playoff bowl games have turned into the Pro Bowl with all the better players sitting out. I think if a player decides to healthy scratch themselves, they should have to return all the NIL money they have collected.

I heard from a D1 college assistant coach (credibility??) that he expects it to be written into some contracts. So basically you have the local car dealer deciding if your running back is going to play in the bowl or not. Colleges fucked up by not paying players themselves, now they will have to live with the mess. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Michigan got the corrupt, morally bankrupt NCAA's notice of punishment for Jim Harbaugh buying a couple hamburgers (in the NIL era, lol) and then telling the corrupt, morally bankrupt NCAA to f*** off.

Michigan will serve three years of NCAA probation, pay a fine and face recruiting restrictions after the university and five current or former football employees reached an agreement with the NCAA's enforcement staff on recruiting violations and coaching activities by noncoaching staff members, the NCAA announced on Tuesday.

The agreed-upon penalties also include a one-year show-cause order for the participating individuals.

• Love 1