Giolito & Reynaldo to LAA. Update: Angels put on waivers

Sleepy Harold

16 minutes ago, T R U said:

Benintendi? The guy who hasn't even eclipsed 1 WAR yet..?

The guy were going to be paying $17 million a year to starting next season to be essentially a replacement player...?

Its Cease and Robert. The rest of this team is hot garbage.

Oh it's an awful contract, but he's not in the same question mark tier as everyone else. That's how low the bar is with the current roster. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, T R U said:

Benintendi? The guy who hasn't even eclipsed 1 WAR yet..?

The guy were going to be paying $17 million a year to starting next season to be essentially a replacement player...?

Its Cease and Robert. The rest of this team is hot garbage.

And Cease is just about league average this year.  Looks like he was a one year wonder.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Moncada legit looked special pre-COVID and back problems.  I think we failed him some in terms of development, but there are other factors that have caused him to underperform vs. his potential.

There were warning signs with Moncada from day 1. Dude had major questions around the swing and miss in his game and those problems never went away. Additionally, the guy was eating a box of twinkies a day as a professional athelthe with tens of millions of dollars in the bank. 

• Like 1

Just now, LittleHurtCG said:

There were warning signs with Moncada from day 1. Dude had major questions around the swing and miss in his game and those problems never went away. Additionally, the guy was eating a box of twinkies a day as a professional athelthe with tens of millions of dollars in the bank. 

There were additional questions about off the field stuff 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, T R U said:

They had an opportunity to sign two different stars 5 years ago but they didn't, and they were never serious about it. That's why the rebuild was doomed to fail from the start,

The rebuild was also doomed from the jump because JR never invested in the proper infrastructure for player development. He also didn't fire anyone and had ( and still has) the wrong people in key positions all over the organization.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LittleHurtCG said:

The rebuild was also doomed from the jump because JR never invested in the proper infrastructure for player development. He also didn't fire anyone and had ( and still has) the wrong people in key positions all over the organization.

This is what I just don't buy... You're telling me Hahn pitches "hey, we spend 3 million hear, we save 100 million here in FA etc" and Jerry isn't interested? If Hahn had an idea to build out the proper infrastructure he could have. The Sox payroll is 190 million dollars; Jerry isn't forcing the Sox to invest the least in tech and analytics, and on PD. Maybe you think he wants to pinch pennies on amateurs and latin players, OK, but that doesn't mean he's going to say you can't implement this program, this system, these thousand dollar technologies... that's just nonsense imo and another Hahn excuse. Hahn was raving with Getz about a single message and technology and etc and then it came out then invested nothing there. If Jerry was that strict, a smart GM would drop 5-7 million off the payroll and put it in those segments because the ROI's in those spaces is massive in baseball right now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is what I just don't buy... You're telling me Hahn pitches "hey, we spend 3 million hear, we save 100 million here in FA etc" and Jerry isn't interested? If Hahn had an idea to build out the proper infrastructure he could have. The Sox payroll is 190 million dollars; Jerry isn't forcing the Sox to invest the least in tech and analytics, and on PD. Maybe you think he wants to pinch pennies on amateurs and latin players, OK, but that doesn't mean he's going to say you can't implement this program, this system, these thousand dollar technologies... that's just nonsense imo and another Hahn excuse. Hahn was raving with Getz about a single message and technology and etc and then it came out then invested nothing there. If Jerry was that strict, a smart GM would drop 5-7 million off the payroll and put it in those segments because the ROI's in those spaces is massive in baseball right now.

I don't have inside access to how much the Sox are spending on player development and analytics. It sure seems like they are getting a poor ROI if they are laying down serious money. I do know that JR is a meddling owner and a bad one. I do know that Hahn is an incompentent GM. I don't know much, but I do know those things. 😁

22 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If Hahn had an idea to build out the proper infrastructure he could have. 

Yep.  He could have done it that way.  But it's a lot more work than the approach he took.  Also, harder to load up with GQ buddies.

21 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

I don't have inside access to how much the Sox are spending on player development and analytics. It sure seems like they are getting a poor ROI if they are laying down serious money. I do know that JR is a meddling owner and a bad one. I do know that Hahn is an incompentent GM. I don't know much, but I do know those things. 😁

On the latest Podcast that dropped today McGuffey again said that Hahn wanted to sign nine figure players for the clubhouse. Then he stopped and just let that remark hang there. He had previously said on Podcasts that the rebuild failed because the front office wasn't allowed to finish the job. 

No defending Hahn who should have been fired years ago but the blame just doesn't start and stop with him. 

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

On the latest Podcast that dropped today McGuffey again said that Hahn wanted to sign nine figure players for the clubhouse. Then he stopped and just let that remark hang there. He had previously said on Podcasts that the rebuild failed because the front office wasn't allowed to finish the job. 

No defending Hahn who should have been fired years ago but the blame just doesn't start and stop with him. 

Hahn is a symptom.  Reinsdorf is the problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Yeah, can't get over this part of it though. 

Part 1: 2013-2015

- Hahn inherits Doug Laumann as scouting director

- 2013: Laumann selects Tim Anderson (all star)

- 2014: Laumann selects Carlos Rodon (all star)

- 2015: Laumann selects Carson Fulmer (awful)

Hahn then knows he's going into a rebuild, and handpicks Nick Hostetler to lead the draft where we'll have 2 top 5 picks and 2 top 12 picks.

Hostetler picks (in the top of the draft where you can get super athletic players with some bat skills):

A maxed out 1B/DH (Collins) profile
A reliever (burdi)
A maxed out Corner Infielder (Burger)
A zero power, weak armed 2nd baseman
A maxed out, unathletic first baseman with middling power (Vaughn)

Atrocious. He tore the roster down to studs and was unable to supplement any of his rebuilt team with players from the draft as anything special.

He then took hand picked Hostetler to get him some top free agents. OK. He attacks RF with full force of Nomar Mazara, Adam Eaton and AJ Pollock.

This is it right here.  I won’t excuse Hahn‘s horrendous free agent track record, but working for Jerry has certainly created some restrictions at the top of the market.  However, Hahn oversees the whole ship and failed massively in terms of amateur scouting and player development.  He has no one to blame there but himself since he handpicked Hostetler and Getz to lead those functions.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Have you ever seen Yoan Moncada?  Dude is basically built like a linebacker.  Acting like eating a bunch of Twinkies means anything is ridiculous.

The swing & miss was a concern, but was still able to be a +4 win player despite high K rates.  His problems since COVID have been physical.

• Thanks 1

I would rather have included Grandal with Gio (instead of ReyLo)  in exchange for Logan O'Hoppe .

In short, get one player that you are confident  can play at the major league level. Also try to lose Grandals contract, even if you have to eat part of it.

ReyLo is valuable to  clean up losses the rest of the season or to become part of another trade. Now his chip, however small,  is off the table.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is it right here.  I won’t excuse Hahn‘s horrendous free agent track record, but working for Jerry has certainly created some restrictions at the top of the market.  However, Hahn oversees the whole ship and failed massively in terms of amateur scouting and player development.  He has no one to blame there but himself since he handpicked Hostetler and Getz to lead those functions.

Kenny had even more restrictions in terms of payroll vs. league average and built a World Series Champion.

• Quin changed the title to Giolito & Reynaldo to LAA. Update: Angels put on waivers
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic