Burger To Marlins

DirtySox

30 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't want to put you on the spot but obviously a lot of Sox fans didn't want to see Burger go. And someone mentioned ( totally unsubstantiated) that the Marlins wanted Eloy and they offered Burger.

Now there's your usual contingent of voices on each side of the issue claiming baseball smarts superiority over the other group .

The issue at hand if the trade was Eloy or Burger for Eder who do you give up. I'm getting a lot of Eloy is a better hitter responses that never address the real issue.

The real issue in my mind is and has always been Eloy's ability to stay on the field.

If he misses major time again in 2024 it could be his last year with the Sox. Considering that since 2021 he has missed a lot of time every season it's not outlandish to think it could happen again. If it does there's a very good chance the Sox don't pick up his 2025 $16.5M option. Personally I think it would've been better to bank on the possibility that Jake is very self motivated to improve and that 500 sporadic MLB ABs after 3 years off with injuries is not enough evidence to pigeon-hole him as a low BA low OBP guy. I think I would've rather had 5 more years of Jake at cheap prices  than I would have of a possible only 1 more year of Eloy.  How do you feel about it ? He's going to be real expensive for an oft injured DH type if they pick up those 2 option years.

The Sox have fooled themselves into thinking Eloy and Vaughn are elite players.  Also, I don’t buy the Eloy rumor with the Marlins.

1 minute ago, MikeKreevich said:

Our beloved broadcasters just recently were bemoaning the fact that one of the major problems the Sox have is being out-homered at home.  And what does Hahn do, trade away a thirty to forty homer a year player who has been a bright light in this dark season.  But what do you expect from are GM who traded away Fernando Tatis and Marcus Semien?

I hate this trade.

But Hahn said they traded him because right handed power hitting is a position of strength of this team.  :(

• Haha 1

Jake Burger hit .146 in June with a .200! OBP. He’s hitting .197 over the last 28 days and he strikes out at almost 32%. He also cant play defense. He’s gonna hit 30 HRs, big deal. 

Sox have a chance to get a mid rotation starter out of this. It’s a no brainer. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

The main problem with this lineup is there is no middle class either the players are hitting well or not at all.

That needs to change you can't have as many guys the sox do 7 with below .700 ops and above 150 PA and expect to win. Not to mention the bullpen has been mostly a disaster too and the infield defense is a mess.

It's not a homerun problem its a hitting problem period

Edited by wrathofhahn

34 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't want to put you on the spot but obviously a lot of Sox fans didn't want to see Burger go. And someone mentioned ( totally unsubstantiated) that the Marlins wanted Eloy and they offered Burger.

Now there's your usual contingent of voices on each side of the issue claiming baseball smarts superiority over the other group .

The issue at hand if the trade was Eloy or Burger for Eder who do you give up. I'm getting a lot of Eloy is a better hitter responses that never address the real issue.

The real issue in my mind is and has always been Eloy's ability to stay on the field.

If he misses major time again in 2024 it could be his last year with the Sox. Considering that since 2021 he has missed a lot of time every season it's not outlandish to think it could happen again. If it does there's a very good chance the Sox don't pick up his 2025 $16.5M option. Personally I think it would've been better to bank on the possibility that Jake is very self motivated to improve and that 500 sporadic MLB ABs after 3 years off with injuries is not enough evidence to pigeon-hole him as a low BA low OBP guy. I think I would've rather had 5 more years of Jake at cheap prices  than I would have of a possible only 1 more year of Eloy.  How do you feel about it ? He's going to be real expensive for an oft injured DH type if they pick up those 2 option years.

We’re paying the noodle arm singles hitter in LF $17 million a year for the next 3 years. Eloy is 100% getting that option picked up, you can’t replace him any cheaper through FA. 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

The Sox have fooled themselves into thinking Eloy and Vaughn are elite players.  Also, I don’t buy the Eloy rumor with the Marlins.

You totally avoided my hypothetical but that's ok ! I realize that this could be a career year for Burger but I don't think so. I also know he could end up being as injury prone as Eloy but 5 years even at being 27 is still better than the real possibility of Eloy being gone after next year or if he manages to stay healthy for a year and actually has a full season for the 1st time since his rookie year that they pick up the option and he gets hurt again.

13 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You totally avoided my hypothetical but that's ok ! I realize that this could be a career year for Burger but I don't think so. I also know he could end up being as injury prone as Eloy but 5 years even at being 27 is still better than the real possibility of Eloy being gone after next year or if he manages to stay healthy for a year and actually has a full season for the 1st time since his rookie year that they pick up the option and he gets hurt again.

Sorry, just saw the hypothetical.  Yes, I think they pick up his option no matter what until free agency

4 minutes ago, T R U said:

We’re paying the noodle arm singles hitter in LF $17 million a year for the next 3 years. Eloy is 100% getting that option picked up, you can’t replace him any cheaper through FA. 

Maybe you could have replaced him with Jake Burger. Besides what is there to replace for the last 3 years ? He's basically averaging 1 fWAR per year since 2021. He might make it to 1.0 this year if he doesn't hurt himself again.

If Burger manages to get another.3 fWAR for the rest of the year he'll tie Eloy's career best. If he hits another 5 HR he'll tie Eloy's career high set way back in 2019

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

The main problem with this lineup is there is no middle class either the players are hitting well or not at all.

That needs to change you can't have as many guys the sox do 7 with below .700 ops and above 150 PA and expect to win. Not to mention the bullpen has been mostly a disaster too and the infield defense is a mess.

It's not a homerun problem its a hitting problem period

I’ll take a different perspective - The biggest problem with the white Sox lineup is OBP. They’re middle of the pack or bottom of the pack on HR, slugging, etc, but they have the worst OBP in baseball. Not only that, but presumably Grandal is gone next year, so it might even get worse. This is one of those fundamental, flawed approach things that they will never win without overcoming.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sorry, just saw the hypothetical.  Yes, I think they pick up his option no matter what until free agency

Actually my hypothethical was if it was you and and you had your choice of trading Eloy or Burger for Eder ., who would you choose ?

You really think if Eloy has a another major injury again in 2024 and misses lets say 50 games or more, that they pay him $16.5M despite not being able to stay on the field  for 4 straight years (2021-2024) ?

I know it requires a lot of ifs including who is actually in charge of that decision after the 2024 season.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Actually my hypothethical was if it was you and and you had your choice of trading Eloy or Burger for Eder ., who would you choose ?

You really think if Eloy has a another major injury again in 2024 and misses lets say 50 games or more, that they pay him $16.5M despite not being able to stay on the field  for 4 straight years (2021-2024) ?

I know it requires a lot of ifs including who is actually in charge of that decision after the 2024 season.

Trade Eloy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Jake Burger for a reliever? One big LOL. Disgusting to move a guy build for G-Rate Field. I'm trying to figure this one out.

I know everybody's hitting homer runs, so I guess Burger is not valuable at all. Maybe the Sox had to get rid of him to avoid further embarrssment playing him at 2B. What kind of trade is this? Obviously Sox are down on Burger. Weird trade.

I'm so disgusted by the White Sox.

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Jake Burger for a reliever? One big LOL. Disgusting to move a guy build for G-Rate Field. I'm trying to figure this one out.

I know everybody's hitting homer runs, so I guess Burger is not valuable at all. Maybe the Sox had to get rid of him to avoid further embarrssment playing him at 2B. What kind of trade is this? Obviously Sox are down on Burger. Weird trade.

I'm so disgusted by the White Sox.

Jake Eder is a starting pitcher. Completing his second minor league season, 24 games, 24 starts.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/whitesox/jake-eder-671109

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, T R U said:

Jake Burger hit .146 in June with a .200! OBP. He’s hitting .197 over the last 28 days and he strikes out at almost 32%. He also cant play defense. He’s gonna hit 30 HRs, big deal. 

Sox have a chance to get a mid rotation starter out of this. It’s a no brainer. 

Burger's bombs are the highlight of the Sox season and they dump him for one pitcher. Stupid. Poor guy has to play for the Marlins. No fans. Ugly ballpark. Yuk.

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Burger's bombs are the highlight of the Sox season and they dump him for one pitcher. Stupid. Poor guy has to play for the Marlins. No fans. Ugly ballpark. Yuk.

They have a good chance to make the playoffs unlike the Sox.

• Like 1

Coming in late here, but here's my take:

At some point, you gotta trade some of these first basemen instead of continuing to play them out of position. I like Burger, but he's a low-OBP designated hitter on a team that doesn't need that. It's a shame it took this long for these morons to start trading depth for needs, but here we are.

I hope the "player development staff" has identified something specific with Eder, because he's had a really rough year in terms of his stuff and projection. But if they do think they can fix him, it's a really solid return for a one-dimensional player, and I expect the reason they were able to get this much was because of Burger's five year of control.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Hopefully Burger inspires the resurrection of the home run statue.

40 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I’ll take a different perspective - The biggest problem with the white Sox lineup is OBP. They’re middle of the pack or bottom of the pack on HR, slugging, etc, but they have the worst OBP in baseball. Not only that, but presumably Grandal is gone next year, so it might even get worse. This is one of those fundamental, flawed approach things that they will never win without overcoming.

This - they use to address obp big time. 

• bmags unpinned this topic