Betts calls out White Sox for not defending Tim Anderson after KO punch, D Backs have team meeting about protocols for similar situations

caulfield12

5 hours ago, Chimpton said:

It was TA's fault, he squared up like a tough guy and got put on his backside, Vaughn and the others were protecting him from himself, he was clearly concussed and barely able to walk, letting him get knocked over again would be stupid. 

Not punching someone doesnt make you weak, violence is the first resort of the 'emotional retard'. It showed more 'leadership' for Vaughn to step in and protect a team mate by removing him from further harm than if he flew in like a meathead and punched a few guys.

I didn't believe the whole TA was knocked out story, UNTIL I saw Jomboy's breakdown of the fight in slo-mo.  Anderson's legs were like jelly, and if it wasn't for the help of Daryl Boston holding him up he would have went down again on his own without question.  He was dazed for sure, I don't know if he was concussed but he was definitely staggering and didn't have his legs working.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Angels and Rockies and As and Pirates might have something to say about that. 

Since 2013, only the Rockies, Reds, Detroit and Miami have fewer wins than the Sox, and my guess is the Reds overtake the Sox by the end of the season, as they are only 5 games worse than the Sox during that time. 

The Angels, A's and Pirates all have more wins than the Sox in the last decade. Royals too. 

The Sox are objectively one of the worst teams in MLB over the last decade. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Since 2013, only the Rockies, Reds, Detroit and Miami have fewer wins than the Sox, and my guess is the Reds overtake the Sox by the end of the season, as they are only 5 games worse than the Sox during that time. 

The Angels, A's and Pirates all have more wins than the Sox in the last decade. Royals too. 

The Sox are objectively one of the worst teams in MLB over the last decade. 

Over the last 100 years. The Mariners may challenge for worst, but bottom five without a doubt. 

5 hours ago, Chimpton said:

Maybe but that 'siege mentality' only works for a short time. I think it would take more than a good fight to sort this clubhouse out. And I certainly don't think Grifol knocking out an opponent in retaliation would make hima better manager all of a sudden.

That may work with a talented team in need of a spark.  That is not this team, beliefs not withstanding.  For over two years now this has been a .500 team or less.  It isn’t a spark they need, they need better players.

• Like 1

Without reading any replies before posting, let me be clear. These two grown men squared up with each other. They were both willing combatants. These fucking morons think the other players should have jumped Ramirez or something?

Your boy put up his fists first and proceeded to get slapped off his feet. He took the L. The fight is over.

You wanna throw a brushback pitch at Ramirez the next time he’s up? Go for it. You don’t “protect your boy” when he gets himself into a fair fight and loses. You get his knocked-the-f***-out ass out of there to prevent further damage, just like they did. Then you probably have a conversation with your boy about not talking s%*# and getting into fights when you clearly can’t fight.

Edited by Milkman delivers
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3
  • Fire 1
  • TLR 1

55 minutes ago, pcq said:

The Chicago White Sox have the worst culture in all of sports right now. 

That's right — the worst.    Ben Verlander

I mean if this is all of sports, you have to include places that have hazing, Kyrie Irving's constant destructive tendencies, the A's, LIV and Saudi sports washing, the Browns deciding sexual assault is worth commiting hundreds of millions to, etc.

But a sports personality who is only listened to because his brother is a Hall of Famers went full hyperbole, which only serves to lessen the Sox dysfunction and malfeasance because Hahn or Kenny could see that and go "really?"

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wegner said:

If more White Sox would've backed up Anderson by throwing punches, the prevailing story would have been that this team is as bad as their fans....remember the Ligues attacking the Royals coach.?

Screw Betts...Vaughn did the right thing getting Tim out of there.

TA threw down his gloves, Ramirez finished the fight by knocking him down.

Yeah it’s not like Anderson got jumped from behind.  He got what he wanted.

• Like 1

At what level do they teach fighting to bring a team together? Little League? High School? College? Or just MLB?

Eventually a fight like this will be treated like a fight at Walmart or in a bar. Except if you're in Texas, then there is the mutual combat law allowing these bare knuckle events. https://www.ksat.com/news/2022/12/19/mutual-combat-is-legal-in-texas-but-both-parties-have-to-agree-police-say/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

That may work with a talented team in need of a spark.  That is not this team, beliefs not withstanding.  For over two years now this has been a .500 team or less.  It isn’t a spark they need, they need better players.

You can't play baseball like you play football that's for sure. To the extent "sparks" happen you at least need the kindling. As you noted, this team doesn't have enough good players to spark anything.

Usually it would piss me off to have so many people taking shots at the Sox but right now I'm enjoying it. Give this sad sack org all the crap it deserves.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

These hot takes from Betts and others are more embarrassing than anything that took place last Saturday, a one off, non premeditated fight.

Totally agreed.  Having a meeting and then making it public that if a fight happens then no matter what make sure the other guy is fucked up seems like a bad thing to put out there.   but what do I know 

• Like 2

This is so dumb. Why should a player risk their health and millions because TAss squared up on someone and got clapped? I would only defend a teammate with hands if they were in real danger or they were getting jumped. Outside of that, I'm just trying to break the fight up to prevent people from getting knocked out. 

Edited by SonofaRoache
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, T R U said:

Who cares, Anderson deserved to be knocked out and the fact that no one did anything just proves how this is hardly a “team” anyways. This is the worst organization in baseball, easy. 

Totally agree with Betts here.

And how did he "deserve to be knocked out"? Ramirez challenged him with a finger in his face after a routine tag. Tim got in three punches - two to the back of his head and one to Ramirez's torso, before Ramirez threw a wild punch while falling back which struck Tim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

At what level do they teach fighting to bring a team together? Little League? High School? College? Or just MLB?

Eventually a fight like this will be treated like a fight at Walmart or in a bar. Except if you're in Texas, then there is the mutual combat law allowing these bare knuckle events. https://www.ksat.com/news/2022/12/19/mutual-combat-is-legal-in-texas-but-both-parties-have-to-agree-police-say/

Must be at the WBC....Timmy was there.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, waltwilliams said:

Totally agree with Betts here.

And how did he "deserve to be knocked out"? Ramirez challenged him with a finger in his face after a routine tag. Tim got in three punches - two to the back of his head and one to Ramirez's torso, before Ramirez threw a wild punch while falling back which struck Tim.

He challenged him with a finger in his face.  Good lord are you soft.  The first one to put up their fists was Timmy.  Timmy got in a few punches and then got clocked.  This is not a "I had to defend myself or it was fight or flight.   Timmy decided that he wanted to fight.  And he got one.  So the plan here is, if I get into a fight that I throw the first punch and I start to lose.  Jump him with the rest of the team.  LOL.   Now you would be singing a different tune if Timmy knocked out Ramirez with one of his 3 punches.   If that happened would it been fine for Cleveland to jump him in mass.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

He challenged him with a finger in his face.  Good lord are you soft.  The first one to put up their fists was Timmy.  Timmy got in a few punches and then got clocked.  This is not a "I had to defend myself or it was fight or flight.   Timmy decided that he wanted to fight.  And he got one.  So the plan here is, if I get into a fight that I throw the first punch and I start to lose.  Jump him with the rest of the team.  LOL.   Now you would be singing a different tune if Timmy knocked out Ramirez with one of his 3 punches.   If that happened would it been fine for Cleveland to jump him in mass.  

I love how the Hamburg Athletic Club contingent of Sox fans fall all over themselves to roast TA, regardless of what he does.

• Thanks 1