Reinsdorf considers moving White Sox out of Guaranteed Rate Field or selling team

bmags

5 minutes ago, tray said:

Mostly true.... but I don't want all of that anger and desire for retribution to ever result in Chicago losing our White Sox. Some things are larger and more important  than any one person whether that is in politics, sports or business. 

As long as Jerry is alive, he is the one who currently will decide. Fans derision of him and his actions have no baring.

Jerry's anger and desire for retribution is legion, be it against the players fans want to see, broadcasters fans want to hear, or peers trying to win fans want as their owner.

• Fire 1

59 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It really is weird timing.  It’s almost like Jerry has turned full heal and wants to destroy what little love for the franchise us Sox fans have left.

I think it’s my fault. On Friday I literally wrote “this is an easy article for someone to write”. If this writer is a member here, he could have called up Riefert and bam, easy article.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Look, I want Jerry as far away from this club as anyone.

But I absolutely do not want them moving to Nashville, Charlotte, etc wherever. I haven't lived in Chicagoland in 20 years but it will forever be my anchor. I've been a remote fan dealing with pirated feeds and/or overpriced MLB TV packages forever, so it's not like I can pop over to the stadium whenever I want.

But this team means something, still. *Where* it is means something. They can lose, they can suck, I can hate any number of players/coaches/FO staff etc, but it will always be more than that.

Moving the team out of Chicago will just be too much. I don't want to lose that.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Serious post:

If Reinsdorf were to fucking move the Sox away from the fucking South Side of Chicago it would be such a God damn betrayal to the fans of an original American League team.

He's already made us endure s%*# show after s%*# show and because his fairytale ending with TLR didn't work because they didn't go all in, he'll take it out on a die-hard fanbase.

The absolute audacity of the man.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

43 minutes ago, fathom said:

If they move out of the state, no one should remain a fan of them.

Hopefully people on this board will understand that distinction, moving out of Chicago and remaining in Illinois is one thing, leaving the state for another city and state like Nashville, TN is another thing. There’s just no tie to Chicago at that point.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Sox Reddit does make solid counterpoints

• There have been inklings of MLB wanting to expand. This could be good or bad for this scenario because how many cities would have buyers and stadium deals lined up (especially post Vegas A's) while Jerry is still alive? I know that's playing with fire, but all it takes is one owner to say "staying in Chicago" vs. "financing a move and stadium build."
  • A new stadium just ain't happening in his lifetime.

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

• There have been inklings of MLB wanting to expand. This could be good or bad for this scenario because how many cities would have buyers and stadium deals lined up (especially post Vegas A's) while Jerry is still alive? I know that's playing with fire, but all it takes is one owner to say "staying in Chicago" vs. "financing a move and stadium build."

Best case scenario is Jerry sells the team and new owner builds a stadium in the city or suburbs to keep the team here.

Nightmare Scenario - JR sells/moves the team to a different part of the country and my fandom to this franchise comes to an end. Hard to root for an out of area MLB team on a regular basis 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Eleven cities, thirteen instances. Five more in planning stages, twenty five in pre planning stage.

And the beat goes on

MLB Betrayal Tour 1901-2023:

AL = American League; NL = National League

Rest in Peace

1. Milwaukee AL 1901 (a)
  2. Baltimore AL 1901-1902 (b)
  3. Boston NL 1876-1952 (c)
  4. Saint Louis AL 1902-1953 (a)
  5. Philadelphia AL 1901-1954 (d)
  6. New York NL 1883-1957 (e)
  7. Brooklyn NL 1884-1957 (f)
  8. Washington AL 1901-1960 (g)
  9. Milwaukee NL 1953-1965 (c)
  10. Kansas City AL 1955-1967 (d)
  11. Seattle AL 1969 (h)
  12. Washington AL 1961-1971 (i)
  13. Montreal NL 1969-2004 (j)

To Be Determined

1. Oakland Athletics (d)
  2. Tampa Bay Rays
  3. Milwaukee Brewers (h)
  4. Baltimore Orioles (b)
  5. Chicago White Sox

Notes:

• a = Currently the Baltimore Orioles
  • b = Franchise folded, New York Highlanders/Yankees added as an expansion team
  • c = Currently the Atlanta Baseball Team
  • d = Currently the Oakland Athletics
  • e = Currently the San Francisco Giants
  • f = Currently the Los Angeles Dodgers
  • g = Currently the Minnesota Twins
  • h = Currently the Milwaukee Brewers
  • i = Currently the Texas Rangers
  • j = Currently the Washington Nationals

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Quin said:

I don't agree with this.

When a man's lifelong wife dies, in many instances they join her within six-twelve months. If not, they typically live as long as they would have before becoming a widower.

Wouldn't be surprised if Jerry lives into his 100s, longer than a number of SoxTalk posters born well after 1936.

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2023/08/21/report-white-sox-may-be-pondering-a-move-out-of-chicago/

A good look at the situation and his bet is they aren't going anywhere out of Chicago but may be trying to get a new stadium or more likely this is to try to entice buyers.

If JR does really want to sell and take that massive tax hit, things must be worse than we are being led to believe.

Edited by Lip Man 1

20 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Best case scenario is Jerry sells the team and new owner builds a stadium in the city or suburbs to keep the team here.

Nightmare Scenario - JR sells/moves the team to a different part of the country and my fandom to this franchise comes to an end. Hard to root for an out of area MLB team on a regular basis 

It is? I must have been doing something wrong with my life, for the last 33 years.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

How many (more) shares would Mellody Hobson have to acquire?

Or it wouldn't matter because the Board articles state JR always is going to be in charge regardless of his ownership percentage (being a minority shareholder won't matter)...

Sorry caulfield, the Beijing White Sox ain't happening. Don't get your hopes up. 

• Haha 2