Reinsdorf considers moving White Sox out of Guaranteed Rate Field or selling team

bmags

36 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Over the next 35 years Tennessee is expected to have a 27.5% increase in population vs. Illinois 3.6%. Nashville itself is expected to grow 56.1% by 2060.

Anyone investing billions on purchasing a team is definitely going to factor in future population trends to their decision.

Obviously it's anecdotal but I moved to NC a year and a half ago. 1 year in Raleigh and now near Charlotte. The first thing I noticed was how much new construction is going up. It actually blew my mind. Nothing like IL/Chicago area. 

So you're telling me that in a mere 40 years my team could be sittin' pretty in a market just pulling up on 7 million people shy of the Chicago area?  AND drag shows are illegal?  That's it, pack up the truck

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Quin said:

If anyone wants takes from the baseball community at large, including Tennesseans 

I agree with this guys take:

I would guess that the most likely outcomes for the White Sox new stadium are in this order:

1-new stadium in Comiskey’s parking lot

2-new stadium next to da Bears in Arlington Heights

3-new stadium elsewhere in the Chicago suburbs (Naperville Sox!)

4-new stadium elsewhere in the city (McCormick Place?)

5-Nashville

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

So you're telling me that in a mere 40 years my team could be sittin' pretty in a market just pulling up on 7 million people shy of the Chicago area?  AND drag shows are illegal?  That's it, pack up the truck

Those stats would be 29-30 out years by the time the move would happen. I'm not saying it's likely just trying to show the trend. 

33 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Competition isnt good for business? 

What does business even mean here?

The competition between the two franchises has led to two pathetic streaks of ineptitude from both franchises.

Their actual business competes with butts in the seats and eyeballs from a ton of theatres, restaurants, sports teams, music venues, restaurants, bars, clubs…

They have plenty of competition

Fvk Nashville, the Grand Ole Opry, country music and red states. Sorry to wax political but I am sick of hearing this Fox-fed garbage about everyone wanting to leave Illinois. I have friends that moved to Florida and Az and since have moved back to be with family and friends and people and things that they were accustomed to (like our 4 seasons and Lake Michigan water, our sports teams, our restaurants, our downtown, our suburbs) and took for granted. And why would people who are starting or raising a family want to move away from the great schools, colleges and universities we have here? I call bulsh1t on these people and the threat to move to Nashville.

7 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

My tie to the White Sox is familial, not regional. It just so happens that them being on the South Side at one point instilled it in my father and grandfather. The challenge comes from kids born today, not from someone like me.

I'll root for the Sox regardless. I'm not going to become a Cubs fan for god sakes. That said, I wouldn't blame my kid for finding whatever team he wanted because he won't necessarily have those ball game experiences with his dad and grandpa; at least not with any frequency like I did, and I'll be pretty damn bummed if that's the case.

I want nothing more than to raise my son as a White Sox fan so he can enjoy the bond I had as a kid. I’m with you if my son chose otherwise.

23 hours ago, Tony said:

He inherited Jordan, gifted Derrick Rose and was at the helm of one very lucky season in 2005. He is an unbelievably poor owner and the city will be a better place with him out of the picture 

Dorf is building up the area around his West Side Sistine Chapel the same way Ricketts is doing with his in Wrigleyville.

Dorf will the sell the South Side tax shelter but his family will be forever tied to the easy money on the West Side.

Edited by GradMc

21 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Look, I want Jerry as far away from this club as anyone.

But I absolutely do not want them moving to Nashville, Charlotte, etc wherever. I haven't lived in Chicagoland in 20 years but it will forever be my anchor. I've been a remote fan dealing with pirated feeds and/or overpriced MLB TV packages forever, so it's not like I can pop over to the stadium whenever I want.

But this team means something, still. *Where* it is means something. They can lose, they can suck, I can hate any number of players/coaches/FO staff etc, but it will always be more than that.

Moving the team out of Chicago will just be too much. I don't want to lose that.

I believe some  affluent group with Chi-town connections will come in an offer Dorf a premium for CWS.

MJ, Oprah, Obama (oh the $$$ connections he's got).

5 minutes ago, GradMc said:

I believe some  affluent group with Chi-town connections will come in an offer Dorf a premium for CWS.

MJ's worth reportedly up drastically after Hornets sale.

1 hour ago, GradMc said:

There was a guy who called into ESPN 1000 (670 score maybe?), that said his buddy had inside info that Obama/Tiger and another famous Chicagoan are looking to put together a bid for the White Sox if they were to be put up for sale. Sounded like wishful thinking, but you never know?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tray said:

Fvk Nashville, the Grand Ole Opry, country music and red states. Sorry to wax political but I am sick of hearing this Fox-fed garbage about everyone wanting to leave Illinois. I have friends that moved to Florida and Az and since have moved back to be with family and friends and people and things that they were accustomed to (like our 4 seasons and Lake Michigan water, our sports teams, our restaurants, our downtown, our suburbs) and took for granted. And why would people who are starting or raising a family want to move away from the great schools, colleges and universities we have here? I call bulsh1t on these people and the threat to move to Nashville.

As much as I pray the Sox stay put, Nashville is a cool city. There aren't too many drawbacks

22 hours ago, Vote4Pedro said:

If the Sox were rumored to be in play for Las Vegas I’d be more worried than I am now about a Nashville relocation, on the other hand JR is a cheap bastard and if Nashville pony’s up the money for a new stadium, it would be such a JR/Whitesox thing to do. Saving a dime in the short term versus long term success. 

Moving the Sox to Nash would be the last FU to the fans before he croaks.

2 hours ago, Chisoxmb35 said:

There was a guy who called into ESPN 1000 (670 score maybe?), that said his buddy had inside info that Obama/Tiger and another famous Chicagoan are looking to put together a bid for the White Sox if they were to be put up for sale. Sounded like wishful thinking, but you never know?

I'm hearing something similar from my contacts with different players. The timing of the teams new stadium announcement, and the changing of the management may be related. I heard a group led by Melody Hobson who already owns 30% of nonvoting Sox stock, CEO of Ariel Investments, Chairwoman of Starbucks and George Lucas wife is part of the potential new ownership group. Reinsdorf's son would own 25% and that would shelter part of the capital gains tax. In the end, its all up to the fact they must hire the right person for President of Baseball Operation and give them full authority over all baseball decisions.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

10 hours ago, baseballgalaly said:

Opposing teams don't respect the Sox so much that they threw the hitters 47 straight fastballs and they did barely anything with it. 

That says so much. Pitcher says to himself, 'Worst lineup I've ever faced. I'll just extend the arm and throw fastballs.'