Sox place Clevinger on waivers

soxfan49

11 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah I get why some teams would wait until late. But there has to be worse teams that have impending bigger free agent salaries that are not going to get a QO (cough cough Grandal cough cough) that you think would have been exposed at some point to clear as much salary as possible. That’s why I’m wondering if there was a specific date teams had to wait until.

maybe this post season deadline creates an artificial dumping ground where teams are more likely to pick them up due to

• the most reduced salary that still allows them to compete in postseason
  • teams know everyone that will be on waivers so won't have fomo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Has there been anything official about Clevinger being put on waivers, there is nothing on the Sox website, all we heard yesterday are “reports from the Athletic”.

I don't think it's something they'll announce unless he's claimed. 

14 minutes ago, zisk said:

I hope he stays and the option is picked up. He has pitched well. The woman behingd the allegations is 

a piece of work herself, and he's been toeing the line this year. If he pitches well next year, we can trade him then.

I’m not opposed to it, but I’m not sure if they’re willing to do it. Allegations are basically taken as the proven truth now.

23 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

But if he makes the back half of your rotation better for a playoff run/during playoffs, I can see it.

Yeah, I can definitely see someone making the case a few extra million this year for a team that is already close is money better spent next year possibly starting all over. If someone sees Clevinger as the piece to solidify their run, that's worth the money.

Clevinger has been one of the best pitchers for the Sox, especially lately.  He doesn't do the Sox much good right now, and my first thought was some other team would snatch him up.  But with at least the $4M buyout attached, the list of teams who would grab him for the playoffs is pretty slim.

As far as Clevinger the man, I don't necessarily have an opinion on the allegations.  I know there are plenty of folks who believe everything, and there are much fewer people who believe nothing.  Regardless, I think we've always known he's a bit of an asshat.  Well before he ended up playing for the Sox, no Sox fan liked him.  Now, some Sox fans begrudgingly like him as a pitcher.  I don't think his baggage would keep him from being picked up by another team.  If a team wants a serviceable guy to eat innings and give the team a chance to win each time he takes the ball, maybe they'd be okay with the money.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

If he doesn't get picked up, there's a decent chance the mutual option gets picked up I think, which would be a rarity. The Sox pick it up since they already have to pay him 4 million and he's much better than the extra 8 million option. Clevinger sees he couldn't be traded, and now couldn't be waived, may realize there's no market for him. We shall see though.

Clevinger will absolutely decline his side of the option and become a free agent. He gets $4 million with the buyout anyway. There's no reason to lock in for $8 million. He can get more than $4 million on the market. 

3 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I’m wondering why it’s all happening this late. Is there a rule that teams can’t do that earlier in the month?

Have to be on a roster by 9/1 for playoff eligibility 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Clevinger will absolutely decline his side of the option and become a free agent. He gets $4 million with the buyout anyway. There's no reason to lock in for $8 million. He can get more than $4 million on the market. 

Have to be on a roster by 9/1 for playoff eligibility 

We'll see. Unable to be traded and no waiver claims would indicate he's being something being blackballed.

19 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Next year is a mutual option for $12 million with a $4 million dollar buy out. So he would have to get more than $8 million on the open market. I still think he can do that.

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Feel like we won't see many guys (especially the starters) get past the Marlins, Reds, Twins.

But with the new system, if I’m understanding it correctly, teams would have to be careful about putting in too many claims. If they’re no longer considered revocable waivers, then a team winning a claim would have to take the player, right? And most, if not all, of these teams probably can’t afford to throw that much money around for rentals.

19 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

But with the new system, if I’m understanding it correctly, teams would have to be careful about putting in too many claims. If they’re no longer considered revocable waivers, then a team winning a claim would have to take the player, right? And most, if not all, of these teams probably can’t afford to throw that much money around for rentals.

I'm not sure that matters that much when you are talking one month of salary (maybe if a team is really tight on a budget or it is an extremely highly salaried player but they also need to be careful with the 40 man roster and make sure they either have spots or are comfortable cutting loose someone from the 40 man.

10 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

I'm not sure that matters that much when you are talking one month of salary (maybe if a team is really tight on a budget or it is an extremely highly salaried player but they also need to be careful with the 40 man roster and make sure they either have spots or are comfortable cutting loose someone from the 40 man.

You are definitely right about the roster, but I imagine it’s also difficult for a team like that to pick up an extra $10 million or more for September. Say they won the claims for Clevinger and one or two other guys with buyouts?

So I’m betting they do a lot of homework on who they think will actually fall to them, and not just throw in claims for the best options and hope for the best.

Edited by Milkman delivers

48 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

You are definitely right about the roster, but I imagine it’s also difficult for a team like that to pick up an extra $10 million or more for September. Say they won the claims for Clevinger and one or two other guys with buyouts?

So I’m betting they do a lot of homework on who they think will actually fall to them, and not just throw in claims for the best options and hope for the best.

We're talking about 1/6 of their salary.

The teams I listed payroll per Spotrac:

Reds: $109,205,658 (a team that basically did nothing at the deadline and needed/still needs starters)

Twins: $165,962,068

Marlins: $136,869,890

These 3 teams have plenty of room to add a guy or two.

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

We're talking about 1/6 of their salary.

The teams I listed payroll per Spotrac:

Reds: $109,205,658 (a team that basically did nothing at the deadline and needed/still needs starters)

Twins: $165,962,068

Marlins: $136,869,890

These 3 teams have plenty of room to add a guy or two.

Rick Hahn's poison pill of $4M guaranteed for 2024 makes this a no go from any team.

Mike Clevinger is not a $30M pitcher, which is the prorated share of $1.3M 2023 and $4M 2024 ($5.3M X 6 months).