It’s official - Getz named SVP & GM

NCsoxfan

Hahahaha.  Because of course they did.  That said, Getz doesn't seem like a complete pompous know it all jag off like Hahn, so right there that's a bonus.  But guess what, a smaller pile of s%*# is still a pile of s%*# no matter how much you try and tell yourself it's smaller, it still stinks like s%*# either way. 

1 minute ago, soulfly said:

Hahahaha.  Because of course they did.  That said, Getz doesn't seem like a complete pompous know it all jag off like Hahn, so right there that's a bonus.  But guess what, a smaller pile of s%*# is still a pile of s%*# no matter how much you try and tell yourself it's smaller, it still stinks like s%*# either way. 

after 3 kids I'd definitely say smaller is meaningfully better though, so progress.

35 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

What shareholder return?   The team will be in the dumps for the next few seasons coming, revenues will take a huge hit while still trying to get out a few bad contracts  (Hendricks, Moncada, Eloy, Benintendi).  

This is heading into Oakland A's level tank IMO.

They get $100M + each season for merely posing as a MLB franchise.

Revenue can’t drop that much lower, they are already near the depths of attendance at the new stadium, and advertising sponsors and other businesses purchase a large number of tickets and boxes each season, regardless of performance.

Getz will serve as a controllable lackey to Jerry Reinsdorf’s wishes, same role as Hahn.

They will make a few relatively cheap FA signings each year and say they are trying, just as they have for decades. Their media and much of the lapdog Chicago media will go with it, just as they did with the bullets fired from a mile away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

What shareholder return?   The team will be in the dumps for the next few seasons coming, revenues will take a huge hit while still trying to get out a few bad contracts  (Hendricks, Moncada, Eloy, Benintendi).  

This is heading into Oakland A's level tank IMO.

Don't think it will. Montgomery, Ramos and Quiero will all be up next June. OBP average will jump 25 points

they replace the dregs of this organization(TA, Yoan and Grandal).

• Like 1

I'll go back to - at this point, I know Hanh and Kenny were absolutely not going to do it. They clearly didn't care enough about farm system and other things. Whether that is also all JR, it might be, JR did at least allow for decent size payrolls last few years, even if he doesn't allow for big long term contracts.

With Getz - the farm system isn't very good, but he brought some unique ideas out there in terms of the whole COVID thing and camp Birmingham or whatever it is.  I don't know how much cart Blanche he was allowed vs. not and the poor system is a system of many things, not just Chris Getz. 

While his resume isn't there - he could actually be really bright and putting him in this position, maybe he actually is really bright and innovative and can take this thing to a much better place.  Lack of resume doesn't imply lack of skill - it does obviously increase risk, etc. 

Reality is - as I've looked inside myself, I don't' have it in me to change franchises, even though I have very little faith in this franchise.  % of faith didn't move in terms of owner - given how inward this whole search was, but I'll give Getz the benefit of the doubt (not that he deserves it) and hold out hope that somehow he'll be better than the last.  Preferably much much better.  

• bmags unpinned this topic