It’s official - Getz named SVP & GM

NCsoxfan

I didn't think Getz was destined to fail until the press conference. Being adament that he was hired to win now, but that they'll spend but not on the high end of the market...

I don't see anyway that works and worry we trade out the prospect depth that we may get lucky on for some bad vet plays.

1 minute ago, baseballgalaly said:

Bernstein nailed it this morning

I'm sure he did, and I know when I've been frustrated a lot of times its entertaining/therapeutic to see the media arguments from talk radio/print people I like.

But this time I'm kinda like "where were you". Congrats on taking it to them know when its obvious, but sox fans who have been pointing out the failures for a while were not interesting enough to engage with, and now everyones so smart and knew what was happening.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm sure he did, and I know when I've been frustrated a lot of times its entertaining/therapeutic to see the media arguments from talk radio/print people I like.

But this time I'm kinda like "where were you". Congrats on taking it to them know when its obvious, but sox fans who have been pointing out the failures for a while were not interesting enough to engage with, and now everyones so smart and knew what was happening.

CC: Everyone that keeps posting Chuck Garfein and the White Sox Talk Podcast.

My stage of copium right now is to hope that Getz was so vague and seemingly unprepared because he didn't want to tip off all of the people he's going to can or speak ill of them in public to prevent their finding roles in other orgs. He's then going to absolutely clean house in the offseason and find good people to surround himself with. He'll also drop players who suck or don't fit with what they're trying to do, while also making some smart trades and free agent signings to get this team back to around .500 to "compete" while he continues to rebuild their scouting, analytics and player development.

Of course, what will probably happen is they'll sign a bunch of former Royals players and staff and bring Dayton Moore in to "help" Getz. They'll be mediocre at best next year and until Getz gets fired or Jerry dies.

There's still a whole offseason to go, though, so I'll hold onto my vain hope while I watch other teams play good baseball and only catch White Sox highlights.

Edited by almagest

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I didn't think Getz was destined to fail until the press conference. Being adament that he was hired to win now, but that they'll spend but not on the high end of the market...

I don't see anyway that works and worry we trade out the prospect depth that we may get lucky on for some bad vet plays.

Definitely seems to be the plan.  In all honesty, I don’t see how we can possibly build a semi-competent pitching for next year without major spending in free agency.  I fill like we are going to see a lot of scrap-heap trades this off-season for guys who can eat innings and bridge to Nastrini, Mena, etc.  Who is the modern day Ivan Nova?  I fully expect two guys like that and/or C tier free agents in the mold of Severino/Montas to complete this staff.

2 hours ago, hogan873 said:

None of this is really Getz's fault.  No, he's not qualified, and JR's reasoning behind the promotion is just dumb.  But he's in the position now, and he has quite the task ahead of him.  As others have stated, if he makes some good hires and surrounds himself with knowledgeable people with experience in winning and building good teams, he'll be better off. 

Obviously he'll be severely handcuffed on spending.  And, sure, the Sox do spend money, like Jerry said.  But they spend it on the wrong pieces.  A team with a payroll as high as the theirs is should not be nearly as bad as they are.  There will be some tough decisions ahead, and hopefully Getz makes some good ones.

I just picture him getting cornered at the winter meetings and being bullied by other GMs.  Hopefully he has some people with him to make the right trades and go after the right free agents.  No friends and family plans to lure bigger free agents.

The White Sox have emotionally damaged a lot of us this season.  I for one am glad the season is almost over and I can focus on football.

Good assessment. They spend plenty but in the wrong places because of incompetent management. If I were JR I'd be livid.  But don't let it affect the standard narrative that they won't spend.

JR must see something in Getz that sets him apart from KW/RH.  It's fair to say that none of the rest of us see it.   In his own mind, he's still smarter than everyone else.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Good assessment. They spend plenty but in the wrong places because of incompetent management. If I were JR I'd be livid.  But don't let it affect the standard narrative that they won't spend.

JR must see something in Getz that sets him apart from KW/RH.  It's fair to say that none of the rest of us see it.   In his own mind, he's still smarter than everyone else.

The narrative remains because he will not spend long term on any pitchers and he will not extend star players past their arb if they are true stars and he still refuses to issue large contracts period.  I’m not excusing him for giving the green light to back up the truck for a bunch of relievers that turned out shitty and then Liam.  

the poor spending is partly because of Jerry’s demands 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Definitely seems to be the plan.  In all honesty, I don’t see how we can possibly build a semi-competent pitching for next year without major spending in free agency.  I fill like we are going to see a lot of scrap-heap trades this off-season for guys who can eat innings and bridge to Nastrini, Mena, etc.  Who is the modern day Ivan Nova?  I fully expect two guys like that and/or C tier free agents in the mold of Severino/Montas to complete this staff.

This is not just you, just a convenient moment to note this.

Literally everyone scoffing at the idea of them competing next year is going "How are they going to compete next year they need 4+ starters and half a bullpen". They're not wrong.

Even if they did all that, they have the #25 scoring offense in MLB despite a HR hitters park, they are 30th of 30 teams in OBP (and Perez's OBP is lower than Grandal's!), they are in the bottom 10 of the league in defense, and they are 28/30 in position player fWAR. They need an entire new roster, not just a new pitching staff.

Just remarkable that literally anyone can be talked into acting like they can fix this. If JR told me to fix this in one year I'd ask if I could try a shot of whatever fancy booze he has on the shelf, try it, then resign and walk out of the room on the spot. Might be my only chance to try some of that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, almagest said:

They'll be mediocre at best next year and until Getz gets fired or Jerry dies.

I know you said mediocre "at best," but I ask you and any other posters ... what moves could possibly be made to have the Sox play .500 ball next season. I see the team as being even worse than this year's team cause dumping Moncada and TA (though I want them gone) won't necessarily make the team any better than this abomination.

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I know you said mediocre "at best," but I ask you and any other posters ... what moves could possibly be made to have the Sox play .500 ball next season. I see the team as being even worse than this year's team cause dumping Moncada and TA (though I want them gone) won't necessarily make the team any better than this abomination.

"Mediocre" to me is sub-.500.

.500 would qualify as "average" or "okay" or "competent." All a notch above "mediocre."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm not buying any of it. There's no way this club is competing next year. They'll trade Cease and TA this winter and possibly even Eloy imo. They could be solid by 2025 if they do it right though. 

You don't think they hope to rebuild value in 1st half next season then trade Anderson and Cease? They'll be selling awfully low on both of them now.

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm not buying any of it. There's no way this club is competing next year. They'll trade Cease and TA this winter and possibly even Eloy imo. They could be solid by 2025 if they do it right though. 

Haven’t we been down this road? You feel confident that anything will change?

Sorry, I just want this season to end so I can attempt to find some solace for a new season in 2024. This year has just been a nightmare and the most difficult in over 40 years rooting for this team. I am finding it hard to wrap my head around Pedro being back and obviously revered. Need the break from caring.

14 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Please tell me this has an interim designation on it. They didn't really just skip the whole process of searching for a GM and settle on the guy who failed to properly develop all of the assets from the last rebuild, did they?

Yes. He's likely here as long as Reinsdorf is alive. 

• Like 1

If you listened to what Jerry and Getz said about the “core,” thinking major pieces are going to be traded is a mistake. 

I don’t care that Rick and Kenny are gone. We know how this is going to play out. Instead of banking on actually infusing talent, they’ll fall back on subjective intangibles like “leadership” helping turn this around. Enter Sally Perez and others. They’ll patch holes with 2nd rate free agents, and rely on Moncada, Anderson, Eloy, Vaughn, and others to “bounce back” because of how much they believe in this “core” 

If they’re lucky, they’ll be around .500 and it will be considered a win. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Tony said:

If you listened to what Jerry and Getz said about the “core,” thinking major pieces are going to be traded is a mistake. 

I don’t care that Rick and Kenny are gone. We know how this is going to play out. Instead of banking on actually infusing talent, they’ll fall back on subjective intangibles like “leadership” helping turn this around. Enter Sally Perez and others. They’ll patch holes with 2nd rate free agents, and rely on Moncada, Anderson, Eloy, Vaughn, and others to “bounce back” because of how much they believe in this “core” 

If they’re lucky, they’ll be around .500 and it will be considered a win. 

That’s exactly how I took their press conferences.  Now that Lynn, Graveman, Kelly, & Middleton are gone, the “culture” is mostly fixed.  Just need to trade for a sub-replacement Salvy to be team captain and the positional group will be ready to battle after they go through proper off-season preparations.

Rotation wise, it’s going to be some patchwork until Nastrini, Mena, Eder, etc, are ready.  But no doubt Getz expects those guys to provide serious innings for us next year.  I’m expecting a few reliever splashes in free agency in hopes of building a 2014/15 Royals type back-end of the bullpen.

Ultimately I think we see some rebound from the main guys, but we’ll still be a 3rd place team at best despite being in the worst division.  We’ll get to the end of the year and we’ll hear that despite being under .500, the season was a success as it was only Getz’s first year on the job and he’s still learning.  Just got to hope that Chris doesn’t mortgage the future to get that 3rd place season.

• bmags unpinned this topic