It’s official - Getz named SVP & GM

NCsoxfan

Woof, that was worse than I anticipated.  I am not filled with optimism.  I fear they're going to gut the farm system with quick fixes to "win" this winnable division.  It was more "we have a good group in baseball ops" than I ever, ever anticipated.  I think his belief is that the KW/RH feuding was such a cancer that just cutting it out will save the patient. We shall see.

• Like 1

I do not believe this is a move that will benefit the Sox. I really hope I eat my words, but there needs to be significant organizational change to have the best change of success. Naming a top lieutenant of the guys who failed does not scream success.   This also is not like having a really good offensive or defensive coordinator and making them head coach because they are probably better than the current head coach.

14 minutes ago, Vacheron said:

"Teaching our players how to play baseball." what the f*** was he talking about?

I would like to be charitable and assume we're going to clean up how poorly this team plays and rarely unlocks all their talent, but it was probably all meaningless platitudes that Jerry likes hearing.

Edited by almagest

43 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Woof, that was worse than I anticipated.  I am not filled with optimism.  I fear they're going to gut the farm system with quick fixes to "win" this winnable division.  It was more "we have a good group in baseball ops" than I ever, ever anticipated.  I think his belief is that the KW/RH feuding was such a cancer that just cutting it out will save the patient. We shall see.

winning fast, I don't know what it means. It doesn't mean spend more money to Reinsdorf, he made that clear. I suspect in the short term we are  going to see a lot of top prospects traded for mid tier MLB  talent like they used to do (much to our detriment). In the long term, I hope they will build up the farm system into a top system perenially. But we all know that's not going to occur.

2 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

winning fast, I don't know what it means. It doesn't mean spend more money to Reinsdorf, he made that clear. I suspect in the short term we are  going to see a lot of top prospects traded for mid tier MLB  talent like they used to do (much to our detriment). In the long term, I hope they will build up the farm system into a top system perenially. But we all know that's not going to occur.

The Sox will continue to sign/acquire has been's, broken down injury prone stiffs and retreads. They they'll wonder why they can't win. 😆

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Sox fans are sick & tired of yr BS Jerry

The issue I had with the LaRussa is that it was handed over to a crony with little or no thought. That's how we got Harrelson as GM, then Bevington, Ventura and Grifol as managers. This is how we get Getz now.

8 minutes ago, Green Line said:

The sox can’t develop talent, so I agree with Jerry:  WIN NOW!  Rebuilding is pointless for this org.

How does one win now when the minors is largely bereft of talent, the org won't invest in player development, the "core" is bad, and they also won't break the bank on free agents?

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

How does one win now when the minors is largely bereft of talent, the org won't invest in player development, the "core" is bad, and they also won't break the bank on free agents?

They could get lucky, like in 2005.  Thats literally thr best we can expect under this ownership.  Rebuilding, developing talent- forget it!

29 minutes ago, Green Line said:

The sox can’t develop talent, so I agree with Jerry:  WIN NOW!  Rebuilding is pointless for this org.

Good thing the person in charge of the whole org is the guy who was just in charge of developing talent 

• Like 1

• bmags unpinned this topic