Paul Janish Hired as Director of Player Development

DirtySox

Janish probably intersects with Nick Hostetler and also has connections to Dayton Moore disciples through his time with the Braves.

Nick: I have a lot of the Atlanta Braves scouting in me. I learned a lot from Paul Schneider and Roy Clark and I got really close with Dayton Moore of the Royals. Those roots and the foundation are there for me. I have been around a lot impressive people.

Hostetler, who has been a scout of many different capacities, has been with the White Sox since 2007 but got his break with the Atlanta Braves when he was in college. Nick embraces the foundation the incredibly successful Braves organization had given him as he takes on a role that is the pinnacle of the scouting career path.

https://www.futuresox.net/2015/08/06/exclusive-interview-white-sox-scouting-director-nick-hostetler/

Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, wegner said:

How many hats will he be expected to wear?

Will have to constantly refer to the Royals and Braves, for one thing.

And pretend he leveraged Rice players into future stardom.

The funny thing is that NCAA salaries are blowing MLB out of the water in recent years.  Then you have JR’s reputation for underpaying (lone exceptions TLR and Cooper) coaching and front office staff.

Must have been the powerful title that was roughly 75% of the enticement.

2 hours ago, Soxfest said:

cheap uninspiring hire with no real experience for job hired.

I thought it was pretty well established when Chris Getz came to the Sox front office that "assistant director of player development" was as close to entry level as one can be. Maybe Barfield was big on this guy, and saw him as someone to mold in his own image. 

1 hour ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Typical Sox. Hire someone with no experience for an important position 

I have no issue with this. Analytical type from outside the org. Player development directors rarely have experience because they get promoted to other jobs generally 

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Janish probably intersects with Nick Hostetler and also has connections to Dayton Moore disciples through his time with the Braves.

He also has a connection with Walt Jocketty who hangs out with Jerry Reinsdorf and Tony La Russa….

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scott Merkin Fan said:

https://x.com/Steve02270/status/1720161309726052472?s=20

2014 World Champion with the Royals

January 27, 2014: Signed as a Free Agent with the Colorado Rockies.

July 1, 2014: Released by the Colorado Rockies.

July 4, 2014: Signed as a Free Agent with the Kansas City Royals.

November 4, 2014: Granted Free Agency.

November 20, 2014: Signed as a Free Agent with the Baltimore Orioles.

Didn't the Giants win the 2014 World Series? It was an even numbered year so that had to go to Bochy. He didn't get a ring, that would have been 2015. 

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I have no issue with this. Analytical type from outside the org. Player development directors rarely have experience because they get promoted to other jobs generally 

He also has a connection with Walt Jocketty who hangs out with Jerry Reinsdorf and Tony La Russa….

And as we all know, Tony is still very involved 

• TLR 2

Bleh.

I would have been more perked up had they hired Steve Bieser, mizzous former head coach.

Don’t mind poaching from college, many (all?) have more sophisticated PD operations than the white Sox, but would have enjoyed a better program.

That said, bieser for example had no chance in the SEC. They tried every trick to maximize player growth and development, still a pretty meh record.

Maybe Rice is the same.