Tim Anderson Free Agency Discussion

DirtySox

30 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Thinking about this more, I feel like they didn’t want to gamble on both TA and Moncada being productive players and took the opportunity to get out of some potential bad money. Still hoping Moncada gets moved though.

Me too.  Stick Ramos in there at third and see what happens.  Same with Popeye at short, Sosa at second.  Sign Elvis, get Montgomery ready for 2025.  Easy.

53 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Thinking about this more, I feel like they didn’t want to gamble on both TA and Moncada being productive players and took the opportunity to get out of some potential bad money. Still hoping Moncada gets moved though.

I feel they are cutting payroll for the most part. The chances they replace TAs projected 1.5 WAR with someone better is slim. That said we are far from winning anything other than last place with or without TA.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I feel they are cutting payroll for the most part. The chances they replace TAs projected 1.5 WAR with someone better is slim. That said we are far from winning anything other than last place with or without TA.

Yeah I would bet against the budget being what they spent in the 2023 team.

21 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Let's see, no TA, Liam, Grandal, Elvis, Clevinger and I probably missed someone. At least it's nice to get some house cleaning in

The devil you know is often better than the one you don't. Those guys will be replaced with AAAA filler for the most part and or they do something utterly ridiculous like bring up Colson in May.

2 hours ago, oldsox said:

Me too.  Stick Ramos in there at third and see what happens.  Same with Popeye at short, Sosa at second.  Sign Elvis, get Montgomery ready for 2025.  Easy.

Then we'll say they rushed those guys like Vaughn. 

17 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The problem is someone like Amed Rosario (who was obviously solid in 2022) is going to be terribly overpaid because there's just so little middle infield talent on the market...

And then expecting the Sox to pay through the teeth for FA starting pitching?

Just no way...

I tend to agree but JR is the key here which is why is tend to agree.

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

Yes, my point is that he very much earned the contract and it wasn't potential.

Especially when you look at the going rate for All-Star shortstops. He was dirt cheap.

Dont disagree with you regarding TAs price but this team needs to be flushed down the toilet. No sense letting any more turds stick onto the side of the toilet, all it does it stink up the joint.

Edited by Southwest Sider
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

The devil you know is often better than the one you don't. Those guys will be replaced with AAAA filler for the most part and or they do something utterly ridiculous like bring up Colson in May.

2024 is gonna suck no matter what.

Therefore, clean house, fill the SS hole with something cheap until Montgomery is ready (same approach at catcher until Quero is ready), try & sign a corner OF who can help you for 3-4 years, develop your young  SP in the minors, and then spend big next winter.

The goal should be to compete in a bad division in '25.

22 minutes ago, ChetLemon77 said:

Therefore, clean house, fill the SS hole with something cheap until Montgomery is ready (same approach at catcher until Quero is ready), try & sign a corner OF who can help you for 3-4 years, develop your young  SP in the minors, and then spend big next winter.

File that under wishful thinking.

If the Sox are not trying to re-sign TA at a cheap price, this is a good move, and maybe the FO isn't as bad as thought. Tim needs to move on, and the FO can't worry if he has a good year somewhere else. Make the move, don't look back, and get this team on track.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Highland said:

If the Sox are not trying to re-sign TA at a cheap price, this is a good move, and maybe the FO isn't as bad as thought. Tim needs to move on, and the FO can't worry if he has a good year somewhere else. Make the move, don't look back, and get this team on track.

It's not a good move if you don't replace him unless you admit to lying about "I feel this team can contend next year" and you're actually just cutting payroll. Because it's not like our minors were tearing it up. It actually, from all metrics, was certified trash.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if JR is pretty much fine slimming payroll to a minimum and just collecting off of revenue sharing and whatever people refuse to stay home in the stands since he certainly wouldn't have to pay for his lease. Wouldn't be shocked if he does it until he has his new stadium, has sold, or passed away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ChetLemon77 said:

Sounds like another bad Benintendi deal if you pick the wrong version equivalent of let’s say 2022-23 Michael Conforto…

9 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

It's not a good move if you don't replace him unless you admit to lying about "I feel this team can contend next year" and you're actually just cutting payroll. Because it's not like our minors were tearing it up. It actually, from all metrics, was certified trash.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if JR is pretty much fine slimming payroll to a minimum and just collecting off of revenue sharing and whatever people refuse to stay home in the stands since he certainly wouldn't have to pay for his lease. Wouldn't be shocked if he does it until he has his new stadium, has sold, or passed away. 

I agree he's gonna cut payroll back to bottom 1\2 while the lackeys in the front office sell the fans on a retool and hypothetical future spending when the team is "ready".

• Quin changed the title to Tim Anderson Free Agency Discussion
  • Quin locked this topic