Benetti to Tigers

BBaum21

If my boss encouraged me to pursue a job with a competitor, I would believe he was trying to tell me something. The Sox statement reminded me of the time Ron Schueler encouraged Jeff Torborg to listen to what the Mets had to say.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think Tony said it earlier, but is this news really going to impact TV ratings anyways?  No one watched the team last year, and the next two years will likely be worse.

Probably not but for people that do tune in they now are almost certainly going to get the pleasure of a terrible broadcast team.

Just now, whitesoxfan99 said:

Probably not but for people that do tune in they now are almost certainly going to get the pleasure of a terrible broadcast team.

It won't, but it's a sign there is something so rotten, a lifelong White Sox fan with his dream job, now would rather be in Detroit.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

He was gone so much. I don't blame the Sox for this one. 

Why?  It wasn’t a surprise.  This was always part of the deal.  

terrible look, nationally known hometown guy going to a division rival who will have zero problem with his other responsibilities 

just garbage all around 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s truly amazing to me the amount of people saying they won’t watch the Sox anymore.  I’ve never let an announcer dictate whether I turn a game on.  

Anyone who says it truly isn't serious. Let's be honest.

The level of play is likely to have more impact (it won't be good).

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s truly amazing to me the amount of people saying they won’t watch the Sox anymore.  I’ve never let an announcer dictate whether I turn a game on.  

Right.  If the announcer is annoying you just put it on mute which I had to do quite often with Benetti.  Just find someone who calls the fuckin game without the vaudeville act.  Have fun with Tigers math, Detroit!

• Like 1

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Right.  If the announcer is annoying you just put it on mute which I had to do quite often with Benetti.  Just find someone who calls the fuckin game without the vaudeville act.  Have fun with Tigers math, Detroit!

Just curious, what brand of blood pressure medication do you use?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I'm somewhere in the middle on Jason.  He's got great pipes, is a true pro, good for the occasional laugh and Seinfield reference,  but his inability to read a fly ball and fair/foul balls was maddening to me.  He needs to learn how to watch the fielders to clue him in on where the ball is going.  I'm on board for a fresh voice, but Beckham or McKnight would be a downgrade for sure. 

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s not the announcer dude, be serious.  It’s everything.  This is last straw s%*# 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Anyone who says it truly isn't serious. Let's be honest.

The level of play is likely to have more impact (it won't be good).

Don’t tell that to local media members acting like the Sox just got rid of Luis Robert

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RibbieRubarb said:

Bad take...

Actually, you can have any take you want. It’s a baseball announcer. It’s not that big of a deal either way. If you never liked the schtick, you’re happy with this. If you liked his announcing, fine…check out his other assignments when you can. 

But this just keeps speaking to how horrendous this org is. Benetti is growing in national prominence and his childhood dream was to be the White Sox announcer.

Plenty of teams let their announcers split national duties with local broadcasts. Do you think the Knicks get upset about Mike Breen? Jon Miller did national work for a long time.

But this dumpster fire organization probably tried to shortchange Benetti again, because we know that he said the contract negotiation was painful.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

Actually, you can have any take you want. It’s a baseball announcer. It’s not that big of a deal either way. If you never liked the schtick, you’re happy with this. If you liked his announcing, fine…check out his other assignments when you can. 

I'll take this anyway I want. He was one of the best in the country, grew up a fan, and we had him and let him go. Its indicative of this franchise and the bad moves they make on and off the field.
If you can't see that and try to minimize this as "just the announcer" then you are helping enable their behavior.
They want fans to not care. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, RibbieRubarb said:

I'll take this anyway I want. He was one of the best in the country, grew up a fan, and we had him and let him go. Its indicative of this franchise and the bad moves they make on and off the field.
If you can't see that and try to minimize this as "just the announcer" then you are helping enable their behavior.
They want fans to not care. 

Fans don’t care, that’s the problem. Looking at the attendance decline last year, it’s not a surprise to me they’re trying to save money any way they can. 

Jason is one of the best broadcasters in the biz, period. I get that his Sox calls were sometimes cheesy and campy, but he was ours. If you don't like Jason, I beg of you to watch his national calls. He's really freaking good.

Losing him always felt inevitable. But losing him to the Detroit fucking Tigers is the last straw. I had little interest in watching the Sox in 2024, and now I have zero reason. This one hurts, and losing him to a division rival instead of a full time national gig is salt in the wound. Jerry can't shuffle off this mortal coil soon enough.

• Like 5
  • Fire 1

This is more a firing than Jason just moving to greener pastures. Toronto wanted to talk to KW about a job as their president. JR said no. RH supposedly tried to resign after LaRussa was brought on. JR supposedly said he would hold him to his contract, and wouldn't be able to pursue other MLB jobs until it ran its course. Detroit says, hey we'd like to talk to Jason.....the Sox don't ever want to hold Jason back, you should talk to the Tigers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1