Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

30 minutes ago, spiderman said:

Yeah, I guess I don't understand the point of trading Cease to fill holes. If you're going to trade Cease, which seems like the likely outcome, they need to focus on getting a team to move 3 of their top prospects. Why do we care about trading for a 2B who isn't going to make much of a difference on a team that would likely lose 90+ games? Trading Cease means you are rebuilding. They may not want to use that word, but if they want to scare off the remaining fanbase, trade him for major league talent that just fills holes to "shake things up". 

Rick Hahn would have but I am hoping Getz wouldn’t. 

1 hour ago, spiderman said:

Yeah, I guess I don't understand the point of trading Cease to fill holes.

I'd see a Kopech for India as a change of scenery trade. Cease shouldn't be used to move Moncada's money, or to take back a flame-out. The whole point of trading Cease is to capitalize on his value and rebuild. 

15 hours ago, spiderman said:

Yeah, I guess I don't understand the point of trading Cease to fill holes. If you're going to trade Cease, which seems like the likely outcome, they need to focus on getting a team to move 3 of their top prospects. Why do we care about trading for a 2B who isn't going to make much of a difference on a team that would likely lose 90+ games? Trading Cease means you are rebuilding. They may not want to use that word, but if they want to scare off the remaining fanbase, trade him for major league talent that just fills holes to "shake things up". 

Exactly.

People need to get out of the mindset this team needs LHB or RHB or whatever. This team lost 100 games with Cease last year the goal should be to get as much minor league talent as possible and start trading for and signing other teams depressed assets.

India would be one example. Austin Meadows could be another.

4 hours ago, wrathofhahn said:

Exactly.

People need to get out of the mindset this team needs LHB or RHB or whatever. This team lost 100 games with Cease last year the goal should be to get as much minor league talent as possible and start trading for and signing other teams depressed assets.

India would be one example. Austin Meadows could be another.

The problem is all the baseball writers & insiders are suggesting India would be a major piece for a SP.  That is what people are commenting on here.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The problem is all the baseball writers & insiders are suggesting India would be a major piece for a SP.  That is what people are commenting on here.

As low of an opinion I have of Getz...

I think the reality is the sox are of so little interest that writers are just bringing up trash that doesn't make sense because they are only interested in the Reds getting someone (who are interesting) and are backfilling an idea where they know the Reds can trade India.

And they don't care that it doesn't make sense about the white sox because that includes thinking about the white sox, which is a waste of time. 

If India is traded in a Cease deal, I'd hope more than Cease is included and it's just a bigger transaction. I put a very low percentage that he is a "main guy" for Cease.

I do appreciate us looking at a team other than the Orioles though. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Braves were in deep on Gray and Nola. Their system isn't good but it's pitching heavy. I doubt they could pull this off without including AJ Smith Shawver. Grissom doesn't do much for me. Waldrep, Murphy and Schwellenbach are all really interesting young arms but they need position players in return for Cease imo. I'd probably need something like: Aj Smith Shawver, Spencer Schwellenbach, Owen Murphy and Luis Guanipa to deal with the Braves. 

Edited by Y2Jimmy0
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Braves were in deep on Gray and Nola. Their system isn't good but it's pitching heavy. I doubt they could pull this off without including AJ Smith Shawver. Grissom doesn't do much for me. Waldrep, Murphy and Schwellenbach are all really interesting young arms but they need position players in return for Cease imo. I'd probably need something like: Aj Smith Shawver, Spencer Schwellenbach, Owen Murphy and Luis Guanipa to deal with the Braves. 

This is why I mentioned grissom as maybe a three team deal that could bring some top 200 position player. If I could describe a team I wouldn't want to trade Cease to, it would be one with their top 7 prospects all being pitchers.

I'm open to a pitcher being the top piece, but I'd prefer a team like the Giants who could offer a different top 40 pitcher, but then give some top 250 position player prospects (even if Luciano not included)

6 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Feels like this guy will go sometime during the Winter Meetings next week.

Yep. Or before. Seems like this year’s Winter Meetings are a day shorter. Used to be- get there Sunday night, three full days, then the Rule 5 on Thursday morning and leave. This year, the Rule 5 is Wednesday. The way they communicate now, the trade/signing aspect of the Meetings is a little overrated, especially if it’s only two full days now. The Eloy and Cease moves could really happen anytime in the next couple weeks. 

4 minutes ago, flavum said:

Yep. Or before. Seems like this year’s Winter Meetings are a day shorter. Used to be- get there Sunday night, three full days, then the Rule 5 on Thursday morning and leave. This year, the Rule 5 is Wednesday. The way they communicate now, the trade/signing aspect of the Meetings is a little overrated, especially if it’s only two full days now. The Eloy and Cease moves could really happen anytime in the next couple weeks. 

Yeah I noticed it’s a full day shorter. Bummer.

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I feel like you need one of those big pieces to be an arm.

They went into the last rebuild with exactly 5 rotation arms. They traded one, put one in the bullpen, and Kopech went squirrelly. I feel like they have to plan on 10-12 strong, top-level pitching prospects to have a reasonable, home-grown rotation for the next assault. 

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

They went into the last rebuild with exactly 5 rotation arms. They traded one, put one in the bullpen, and Kopech went squirrelly. I feel like they have to plan on 10-12 strong, top-level pitching prospects to have a reasonable, home-grown rotation for the next assault. 

I meant in a deal back for Cease. But the 2 bigger pieces in a deal being pitching also isn't the end of the world.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

23 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

The 2 bigger pieces being position players and then 2 lesser pieces being pitching wouldn't be terrible but trading an arm like Cease, I feel like you need one of those big pieces to be an arm.

Yes, pitching, pitching, pitching. 

They need a top arm for trading Cease. Montgomery and Ramos look good for position prospects. Not sold on pitching prospects. 

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Yes, pitching, pitching, pitching. 

They need a top arm for trading Cease. Montgomery and Ramos look good for position prospects. Not sold on pitching prospects. 

They got pitching in other moves. They need some premium position prospects. Thats why BAL is such a great partner. You can get 2 good position players and maybe you can still get a very decent pitching prospect as the 3rd piece.

ATL frankly is an awful trading partner, nothing but pitchers and RHH. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

They got pitching in other moves. They need some premium position prospects. Thats why BAL is such a great partner. You can get 2 good position players and maybe you can still get a very decent pitching prospect as the 3rd piece.

ATL frankly is an awful trading partner, nothing but pitchers and RHH. 

Not nearly enough

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

While we all know that Giolito, Lopez, Dunning, Cease, Kopech led the way, guys like Clarkin, Fulmer, Hansen supposedly had future starter potential (although Fulmer got the reliever tag fairly quickly). Rodon also just, existed.

This isn't an argument for not getting more arms (especially avoiding left-handed arms, which they badly needed), but they definitely had more than 5.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Not nearly enough

I think it's enough that where you can relegate SP to a close to MLB ready #4 type as the third piece in a trade. Someone like Knack or Povich. You've got to develop some of those guys you traded for. IMO, Nastrini and a fully healthy Eder should both be in the rotation. Bush is prolly a swingman.

We really need premium positional talent. They don't seem to like Colas and they really don't like Gonzalez per Harold. Montgomery may shift to 3B. 

If you can get BOTH a future mainstay RF and SS in one shot and play Ramos at 2B, you've solved alot of problems. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic