Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

Look at the number of runs teams gave up instead of an average. The top 10 teams in runs given up all missed the playoffs. 

Pitching and defense. 

In a perfect world we would have run prevention (pitching & defense) + run production (power & manufacturing runs), but nothing is perfect. The good to great teams have a balance. 

Pitching & defense keep you in games, but scoring runs wins. That’s at least how I like to think of it. 

If we were building up a system from scratch with multiple means of finding pitching and hitting, I might focus more on the pitching part. But with only one shot to infuse high end talent into a mostly barren system, I’m choosing bats first. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, fathom said:

And good luck trying to win games at GRF in the summer with pitching and defense when the park plays small.

It should be readily apparent to every White Sox front person that power is what wins at the Rate.  I’m not going to overreact to the fact Getz is prioritizing defense with his filler signings since generally speaking defense is much cheaper to acquire.  That being said, the Cease trade will be very telling of what Getz is thinking long term.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, fathom said:

Don’t know if it was mentioned already, but the Giants seem willing to trade their young pitching.  Not a fan of their guys, but their interest will pick up in Cease when Yamamoto goes elsewhere.

I think Giants are going to overpay Snell once they are out on Yamamoto so they can show fans they can actually sign someone.

But if they were interested I would take Harrison, Luciano and Grant McCray. If they aren't going to give up Harrison, it will be difficult to do a deal with SFG.

12 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Why are we being forced to accept 1 stud plus a bunch of underrated bargain bin prospects if Cease is in overwhelming demand? 

Because Baltimore simply refuses to part with their best prospects? IDK. 

It’s mid December and we are all growing impatient, but there are still a few big FA pitchers unsigned. I’m totally pessimistic about the Sox org, but I still have faith that Cease brings back two studs and a few quality secondaries.

If that fails to come to fruition I’ll join you in burning GRF to the ground. But we aren’t quite there yet. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tnetennba said:

Because Baltimore simply refuses to part with their best prospects? IDK. 

It’s mid December and we are all growing impatient, but there are still a few big FA pitchers unsigned. I’m totally pessimistic about the Sox org, but I still have faith that Cease brings back two studs and a few quality secondaries.

If that fails to come to fruition I’ll join you in burning GRF to the ground. But we aren’t quite there yet. 

NBB keeps saying they will hold him to the deadline as plan B

Just now, fathom said:

It’s wise to at least float that to other teams. The Sox don’t have to accept less if the offers aren’t to their liking. We all want to pull the trigger and follow the new kids in the minors hoping on the future, but the Sox still have that leverage. 

11 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

In a perfect world we would have run prevention (pitching & defense) + run production (power & manufacturing runs), but nothing is perfect. The good to great teams have a balance. 

Pitching & defense keep you in games, but scoring runs wins. That’s at least how I like to think of it. 

If we were building up a system from scratch with multiple means of finding pitching and hitting, I might focus more on the pitching part. But with only one shot to infuse high end talent into a mostly barren system, I’m choosing bats first. 

Agreed in a perfect world they get both. But in their situation with Robert on the mlb team and Montgomery and Ramos coming soon. I would lean pitching. I don't think they have anyone comparable to any of that talent on the pitching side. 

However, they need to take the best package but pitching if possible. 

38 minutes ago, fathom said:

And good luck trying to win games at GRF in the summer with pitching and defense when the park plays small.

True but for much of the time and most of the other parks this isn't the case. 

We've seen what happens when they try to tailor a team to the park for that time of year. It doesn't work. 

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Agreed in a perfect world they get both. But in their situation with Robert on the mlb team and Montgomery and Ramos coming soon. I would lean pitching. I don't think they have anyone comparable to any of that talent on the pitching side. 

Robert, Montgomery, & Ramos is not enough to build a competent offense.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Robert, Montgomery, & Ramos is not enough to build a competent offense.

But it's better than their current pitching prospects. Better to bring up the greater weakness. Their pitching will have no one competent after Cease is dealt if they don't get pitching. 

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It should be readily apparent to every White Sox front person that power is what wins at the Rate.  I’m not going to overreact to the fact Getz is prioritizing defense with his filler signings since generally speaking defense is much cheaper to acquire.  That being said, the Cease trade will be very telling of what Getz is thinking long term.

You are setting yourself up for extreme disappointment when it becomes readily apparent that "the plan" is to have Beni be the 2nd leading position player in HRs. 

They are going all in on pitching, D, speed and small ball. They don't care that there's a short porch for LHS at GRF.

Getz simply DGAF. 

It's almost as stupid as constructing a roster full of RHH like his predecessor did.

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

So pitching wins in a close contest. 

Actually the point was more they’re the same. 

If I’m building a team I’d rather have a good offense in place to support young developing pitchers as opposed to pitching trying to carry a developing offense. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

You are setting yourself up for extreme disappointment when it becomes readily apparent that "the plan" is to have Beni be the 2nd leading position player in HRs. 

They are going all in on pitching, D, speed and small ball. They don't care that there's a short porch for LHS at GRF.

Getz simply DGAF. 

It's almost as stupid as constructing a roster full of RHH like his predecessor did.

Way too early to jump to these conclusions.  Getz is clearly going all in on defense this year, but I’m not yet convinced that he plans to build a small ball club long-term.  Right now, I think it’s about defense being inexpensive and him wanting to change the culture where we basically gave two shits about defense.

25 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Haven’t we learned that banking on prospect bats to pan out is a bad strategy?

Yes, they can definitely use more pitching, but they need SO many more bats to go with Colson and Ramos.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Realistically I assume Getz will take the best package available, positions be damned. 

He’s gonna end up getting two centers (basketball), two more centers (football), another center (hockey), and one more center (soccer? Are there centers in soccer?)

I don’t know what this post is.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Good, if you can’t get a proper package now, then wait. There is no need to rush a mediocre or poor deal. 

I’m hoping Bannister and Katz work on some tweaks with Cease and he regains his dominant stuff from 2022. He will be worth even more in July after  the 4-6 teams who give a s%*# about competing suffer are limited in quality additions and may have even more injuries. Even Hahn got decent hauls for Giolito/Robert and horseshit Lynn + Kelly.

If Jerry is desperate to dump max salary and Getz has to accept a deal that isn’t ideal/peak before March, than f*** this s%*# because the payroll is over 1/3 reduced and barely above the amount the White Sox receive for National TV and MLB.com. Comiskey should burn to the ground in that scenario, not because they didn’t rush a poor deal now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snopek said:

Haven’t we learned that banking on prospect bats to pan out is a bad strategy?

Yes, they can definitely use more pitching, but they need SO many more bats to go with Colson and Ramos.

Soo many.  The bats they got last time around  mostly sucked.  So tired of 1 run mattering.  I’d rather focus on the other team trying to hold us back from scoring.   Maybe try to get really good bats this time

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic